U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 09:25 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Not for me because I never had kids. But I am more content and happy I think partly because I no longer have to answer to a boss in a high stress job and my time is my own. I like the freedom I have; my time is my own. I can slow down and enjoy what's around me.

And I can wear jeans every day!
I don't have kids either and I think I am pretty content. Sure there are issues, but listening to my siblings and others that are in their 60s and are parents and grandparents - what an unhappy bunch. And their kids aren't even close to being slackers. What the heck? Is it something inside you that makes you a happy person? If so, I am glad I am like my mom. LOL. I wish my sisters had inherited some of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 10:45 AM

6,550 posts, read 3,656,219 times
I just went to a couple's 65th wedding anniversary and they couldn't be happier. I'm sure there were tough times along the way, they were both born elsewhere, but they seem to be managing their elder years very nicely. They had a house full of family and friends helping them celebrate. They have good reason to be happy.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:36 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,537,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Luck had very little to do with anything. Life now is due to a lifetime of hard work, planning, lifestyle choices, and deferred gratification. Not all things are good in anyone's life. We all have struggles, tragedies, setbacks. Results in life are mostly about making good or bad choices. Not luck. Luck infers we had no control. We did.
This is true, up to a point. But health can change all your plans. I came down with a bad case of an autoimmune disease in my 20's. The doctor didn't know what was wrong so tried this and than and this again. No luck. When I got really bad, I went to another doctor who put me in the hospital and did tests. He said I should have been treated years before, but it would have limited effect now.

Since then, I have discovered the cause, but the dump site next to our street wasn't known to be the second on the EPA list of the ten worse back then.

My health has been at issue since even when it was okay. I've tried to achieve things I wanted, but the stress was too much. I just got too tired. Stress has very negative effects for me now. I tried to go back to work, and all the ability was there, but I couldn't give it all it needed. And it wasn't fair for them if I couldn't.

I had to come to peace over the idea that some of my dreams were not going to be. But I took it as a gift, too. It gave me time for others to grow. I feel the same deep joys in creating bits of needle arts as writing computer programs. I love writing stories. They are all making something new and origional out of scattered energies. They are all creating.

When I gave up the idea that somehow I was going to get past my body, and that the joys of creating something new were found on many roads, I started to feel much better too. I manage things like stress. You need some, but you need to know how to let go of it too. The irony is that I would likely make a better programmer now than then since I've learned when to stop for a while and see past the moment.

I 'retired' a while ago from the health issues, but there was always a feeling that I might get judged since I seemed pretty okay. Now, one year older, its officially okay. I'd still like to find a spot where I could show and maybe sell some of the stuff I make, maybe online. But its not because I need an excuse to do it, but because I love making origional things, and if someone found some joy in them too, it would be quite fufilling.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:07 PM

23,560 posts, read 17,535,380 times
There is going to be a wild variance between someone who has had debilitating health problems through no fault of their own for the last twenty years and been out of the labor force, vs. a wealthy executive who has been blessed with looks, health, a beautiful spouse, etc.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:56 AM

9,186 posts, read 9,265,199 times
What many miss here is that level of satisfaction correlates largely with financial success. Many older people are doing just fine in this country. Younger generations are not.

At 58, my wife and I are doing very well.

On the other hand, I am scared to death at the future that awaits the young people in my children's generation.

Now, I'll see if I get all the obligatory posts about "how its all their fault" despite the lack of well paying jobs and the high cost of college compared to when we were young.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:43 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,442,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

What many miss here is that level of satisfaction correlates largely with financial success. Many older people are doing just fine in this country. Younger generations are not.

At 58, my wife and I are doing very well.

On the other hand, I am scared to death at the future that awaits the young people in my children's generation.

Now, I'll see if I get all the obligatory posts about "how its all their fault" despite the lack of well paying jobs and the high cost of college compared to when we were young.
Yet in this survey, 61% of people aged 18 to 39 are satisfied - compared with 67% of people age 60 and older.

So the difference is not that great.

It's not like people ages 40 to 59 and 60 and older as groups are wildly more satisfied than the 18 to 39 year olds in terms of number of people.

(and 60% of people aged 40 to 59 are satisfied.)

And the survey was based on only 2600 people.

Also, there is a difference between being satisfied and being content. While the headline of the article uses the word 'content', the people polled were actually asked if they are 'satisfied' or 'very satisfied'.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-11-2017 at 02:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or