U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 04:25 PM

10,133 posts, read 12,385,819 times

Advertisements

I am one of them, totally happy and never been happier.

People Over 60 More Content In Life Than All Other Adults, Survey Finds

Quote:
Overall, 67 percent of older respondents reported being “satisfied” or “very satisfied” with their life, compared to only 61 percent of those aged 18 to 39 and 60 percent of those aged 40 to 59.
I am extremely satisfied.

I am not totally in control of my life... well my wife is in control of my life but that is a different conversation, and for the first time I can do just about anything I want to do without repercussions. Well, except not put the toilet seat down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 05:17 PM

8,764 posts, read 10,843,052 times
This may be a 'new study', but, it's probably a pretty common reflection of the general attitudes of people over 60 versus those in their 30's and 40's.

By 60, the 'battle has been fought' and most are either well established in their careers or (near) retirement. Their kids are raised, educated, married and employed. Their marriages are reasonably stable, their homes are pretty much paid for and they have a reasonably clear picture of the future. By 60, most are pretty much through the acquisition stages of their lives and no longer competing with the 'Joneses' for housing, cars, prestige and 'stuff.' Unless they have major health issues, they are still in pretty good health and able to do most things.

Obviously, these conditions are not automatic, but, for those who have lived relatively stable lives, worked hard, lived within their means and done some degree of planning for the future ... these conditions are readily achievable. Of course, there are many anecdotal stories of people to whom bad things have happened before or after 60, but, IMO, the general trend is upward. Further, people are living longer than ever and 20-30+ year retirements are commonplace.

Life is good!! We are satisfied, blessed, walking in relationship with God and looking toward to moving on in this life ... and beyond!

Old 09-06-2017, 06:05 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,449,470 times
The percentages for each age group are so close to each other - 60%, 61%, 67%.

Since the percentages of being satisfied are so similar in each age group, I do not find the findings or conclusion that significant.

About the same number of people in each age group are satisfied.

And the difference in percentage of those over 60 yrs old being satisfied can be attributed to not working and being retired.

I was and am the same level of being satisfied during each age span. I love retirement and not working, but there are two deficits which subtract a bit from satisfaction which are arthritis and death closer than ever before, with a limited number of years left.

(and the study sample was only 2600 people)

Last edited by matisse12; 09-06-2017 at 06:22 PM..

Old 09-06-2017, 06:40 PM

2,202 posts, read 1,346,551 times
I'm not sure if I am more content since retirement, but I am definitely less stressed.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:44 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,737,509 times
Like poster jghorton wrote, by age 60 the battle has already been fought, for the most part. If we have been moderately successful, we are either retired or looking forward to being retired within a few years, thus moving on to a life of less stress. Money worries are a thing of the past - not for everyone, of course, but for many. Why wouldn't we be "more content in life"?

Old 09-06-2017, 08:53 PM

18,096 posts, read 22,960,701 times
Definitely better since I'm over my "potential." And life is easier when all of that sexual tension isn't front and center everywhere you go, either.

As to that, it's so nice to be able to just chat with a man who just looks at me now as an auntie type. I can now have a meaningful conversation with people without everyone wondering if there's some ulterior sexual motive.

And you know what I'm talking about, if you're honest with yourselves :-)

There will still be those few who would take anyone LOL, but overall, I can now just have conversations with people without any of that sexual tension - will he think I'm coming on to him, will she think I want her husband, etc., etc.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:40 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,508,503 times
No more having to deal with the bs of work or job hunting. I can do exactly what I want every single day. Free and content. Nothing left to prove. Bliss.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:04 AM

10,817 posts, read 8,063,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I am one of them, totally happy and never been happier.

People Over 60 More Content In Life Than All Other Adults, Survey Finds

I am extremely satisfied.
+1.
I genuinely enjoyed working, right up until when I retired in late 2011. Ditto DH, who retired in early 2013.
In our late 60's, we're both happier now that we've ever been in our lives.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:40 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,156,163 times
I'm not surprised at all by the result of that Survey.
I'm 62 myself and have (at least) 3 reasons to feel more content than when I was a "trendy young thing", which boils down to 2 main reasons: financial and emotional stability .
- Financially, for the first time in my life , I'm really comfortable, having paid my condo's mortgage,not having alimony to pay anymore (my son is grown-up and has a good job) and earning much better than when I started working 40 years ago, moreover having inherited some money from my parents.
- Im married and don't have the insecurities I had as a young man, particularly I was a bit addicted to sex, that pressure and the angst goes hand in hand with it has disappeared. Of course Young women don't look at me in the same way (they don't look at me anymore in fact, because I'm bulky with grey hair and a -slightly-"streamlined" face-), but I couldn't care less....

Old 09-07-2017, 03:48 AM

5,946 posts, read 5,302,666 times
I think for some it's not spending time with people we don't want to be around. For some we had an employer deciding who we would spend our day with. For others we had customers we didn't really want to be around. Now we get to choose all of the people we spend time with.

For those with a spouse it may be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or