U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 04:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,563 posts, read 39,944,045 times

Advertisements

My parents tried hard, but hated kids, and were very 'busy' striving for the American dream (which eluded them till their (early) death). I don't discredit my parents, but they certainly would have been better off, not bothered by their kids. Interestingly, they were very community centric and helpful and 'giving' to others. Leadership roles in government, and many clubs / activities. We liked, successful, and engaged.

Thank goodness for grandparents, or I would have never made it to age 16.

Similar situation with spouse (raised by loving grandparents) Praise to strong families and grandparents with open arms, hearts, homes, and minds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 05:02 PM

37,105 posts, read 45,622,935 times
Father, an only child, born in 1918, to prosperous English/Norwegian parents. He was a Captain in the Air Force. Mother, born in 1919, a pretty Swedish girl with working class parents. Worked after high school in an office.
They got married in 1942, after mom got on a train from Massachusetts to go marry him in California, where he was stationed.
They went on to have three kids, and a seemingly ideal Ozzie and Harriet life, until my mom died at 40. Things went a bit downhill after that.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:59 AM

4,941 posts, read 2,281,106 times
Well I'm not a senior but I had the experience of growing up with parents who were both considered very old-fashioned, yet were way ahead of their time.

My parents were/are Silents, I believe. Dad was born in 1941 & mom 1942. Dad: Is the “middle child” of 6 siblings; 2 older brothers, 1 older sister & 2 younger brothers. The oldest sibling, my uncle Marty, is also a Silent born in 1933, while the youngest, my uncle Steve is a Boomer, born in 1948.

My dad drank only socially, was 100% opposed to drugs & the drug “scene”. He did smoke cigarettes until the day his father died in 1960 from lung cancer. He said he was driving down the highway, pulled his pack out of his shirt pocket & threw them out the window. Never had another one. He is politically conservative yet socially progressive. Deeply religious & has lived his life putting: God first. Then spouse. Then children. Very financially viable, as are most in his family. A saver vs spender. During my childhood, we had: 1 car (a Volvo). One TV & 1 phone. Every one of my 11 children & all 4 of my sisters had a savings account started by my father when they were born.

I think what caused him to become so aligned with his “Greatest” parents & older Silent siblings (vs Boomers) was his own military service in the USAF. He married my mom in 1966 & they left the country 2 days later to be stationed in Japan, where I was born. Boulder, his hometown, was a very different place when he returned in the early 1970’s with a young family. He despaired to find his youngest brother firmly entrenched in the anti-Vietnam war & drug culture.

Mom: Was the oldest of 4; 2 sisters & one brother. The oldest 2 are Silents & the younger 2 are Boomers. First generation American born Greek & spoke no English until she started school. Grew up in the Greek communities of Chicago’s south side & Denver.

Also deeply religious; was raised Orthodox until she converted to Catholicism to marry Dad. Was disowned for 10 years as she refused to comply with her arranged marriage. My mom & 2 of her siblings are all accomplished in medical science; there are 2 doctorates & 6 PhD’s between them & all in Immunology, Virology, Genetics & BioChem. My mom was so smart it was almost scary.

Mom has to have been one of the most “intentional” humans that has ever lived. Everything she did had a purpose & nothing was done without a lot of prayer. I can honestly say I never once saw fear in my mother’s eyes. Despite her various accomplishments in science & education, my mom always asked one thing: “When I die, please write my obituary to say that I was a Housewife; as that is the most important thing I have done in my life.” So, we did.

My parents were very traditional yet very atypical for their time: They were vegan before it was cool. The word “vegan” didn’t even exist; we were called “health nuts”. I took tofu sandwiches to school in my lunchbox during the 1970’s & nobody had ever heard of that before. They ran 10k’s & Marathons, starting in the late 1970’s when nobody jogged. People used to ask me “What’s the matter? What are you running from?” My dad used to have a sign up in his office that said “Anyone Caught Smoking Will Be Hung Upside Down By Their Toenails & Pummeled With An Organic Carrot!”.

My mom studied Macrobiotics at the Mishio Kushi Institute with the actual Dr. Kushi. There were no Whole Foods then, just little co-ops for organic produce & grains. We used to go up to this little natural spring to fill huge jugs of water. Way back in the early 1980’s, my dad, who was the manager of customer service, did something for the mothers who worked for the city utilities & campaigned for what had to have been one of the very first ever breastfeeding/pumping rooms in a government workplace. It was known fondly, by the city admins as “Pat’s Lactation Station”.

To this day, if I will have to go to a city or county office, there will be at least one near-retirement aged woman working who will look at my documents then look up at me, wide-eyed & say “OMG; you’re Pat’s daughter! Are you the one who drew all those pictures he had hanging in his office?” Then “Your dad was the best manager or boss that I have ever had!”

So many people over the years have told me "I just loved your mom/dad/parents!" ... I'm very proud to be their daughter.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:09 PM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times
Dad was born in 1957. Typical manufacturing blue collar guy, but has always voted for Democrats in a very conservative area. Mom was born the same year, has mostly worked in banking.

Wholesome working to middle class folks.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:00 PM

6,435 posts, read 9,955,147 times
I do apologize for not responding in a timely manner everyone. Been super busy. Your stories are exhilarating and I appreciate each of you for taking your time out to respond and give your personal stories. I have read each one and will be responding in reps accordingly. I am BLOWN AWAY honestly.

Last edited by allenk893; 09-10-2017 at 11:57 PM..

Old 09-11-2017, 05:24 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,604,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I do apologize for not responding in a timely manner everyone. Been super busy. Your stories are exhilarating and I appreciate each of you for taking your time out to respond and give your personal stories. I have read each one and will be responding in reps accordingly. I am BLOWN AWAY honestly.
Thank YOU for taking us down Memory Lane!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or