U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2017, 03:27 PM

6,878 posts, read 7,276,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
However, they failed to give him the PIN number to unfreeze it.
Yikes...THAT could be a problem.

I've seen posts here about how a bureau would NOT unlock the report for a guy who lost his pin.
I'b be like "Oh crap" if it said it froze it but didn't give me a PIN...NOW what?
And Lord knows you can't get through to a real person....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 03:42 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,296,099 times
Finally able to get through to Experian by phone to do a freeze. Ironic that the company responsible for this mess is making it hard for me to freeze without sending sensitive info by snail mail.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:17 PM

6,048 posts, read 3,870,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Finally was able to get into Equifax but they won't do a freeze online. They want me to send a letter containing my name address DOB and SS number. Really? Not happy with this arrangement
Not surprised. They wanted me to send them that as well as proof of last years income plus a copy of the deed to my house in order to get a credit report. I passed on that offer.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:38 PM

5,280 posts, read 3,316,104 times
Quote:
Finally able to get through to Experian by phone to do a freeze. Ironic that the company responsible for this mess is making it hard for me to freeze without sending sensitive info by snail mail.
Actually Experian wasn't the company responsible for the the mess, it was Equifax.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Actually Experian wasn't the company responsible for the the mess, it was Equifax.
Yeah I know. I was able to get through to Experian by phone to do the freeze and Transunion allowed me to do it online but Equifax the responsible party in this is requiring me to send confidential info by snail mail to initiate a freeze to protect myself against a problem that they are responsible for.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Not surprised. They wanted me to send them that as well as proof of last years income plus a copy of the deed to my house in order to get a credit report. I passed on that offer.
So what are you going to do about Equifax?

Old 09-13-2017, 06:39 PM

64 posts, read 35,476 times
Quote:
No problem initiating a freeze with TU this morning but can't do it with EQ and EX. Ex the page loads to infinity and EQ gives no can do now message. Anyone else having this problem?
I did my Security Freezes on 9/8 and the only one I ran into an issue with was Experian and it was not their fault.
When I had finished and was on the "confirmation" page "print for your records" and hit print the computer locked up and I had to restart the computer, when I attempted to go back in to the Experian site I got a message saying that I could not do this online, however...
My printer had already stored the information and I was able to print the security freeze confirmation with a PIN number.
I just do not know for sure if it actually went through.

I also added Fraud Alerts through the Equifax site and they are supposed to notify the other two credit bureaus.

How do you go about verifying that the security freezes and fraud alerts are actually in place?

Old 09-13-2017, 07:34 PM

6,048 posts, read 3,870,699 times
Quote:
So what are you going to do about Equifax?
Just keep trying every couple of days to see if the freeze goes thru. Really, it sounds as if their computer systems are just totally backed up right now.

It'll be interesting to see how the major corps around the country are going to deal with Equifax. After all, it was their confidential info that Equifax lost and they can't be very pleased about it.

I bet there are going to be some top level mgt changes at Equifax in the near future especially since the current crew is responsible for the essential destruction of their primary company product. And their CFO simply lied re his stock sales. These days in major corporations, the CFO is one of the top 2 or 3 execs in the leadership hierarchy. He knew, to not know is an admission of total incompetence on his part.

Surely doesn't look good for Equifax IMO.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:55 PM

393 posts, read 715,083 times
And out of the Equfax problem, Experian has invented the "Dark Web" that they will protect you from.

Every where you look there is someone looking to "protect" your credit, It's a shame that you have to spend your free time checking every account you have to see if it is being drained.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:35 PM

27 posts, read 9,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1955 View Post
And out of the Equfax problem, Experian has invented the "Dark Web" that they will protect you from.

Every where you look there is someone looking to "protect" your credit, It's a shame that you have to spend your free time checking every account you have to see if it is being drained.
I have fewer problems with Equifax and TransUnion than with Experian. They put all kinds of wrong crap on your credit report and when you ask them to fix it, they miraculously can't confirm your identity and refuse to do anything. The Attorney General of that state must get a ton of complaints about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or