U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 08:47 AM

3,667 posts, read 8,768,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Whats worse is that this same company will be the one giving you a bad credit score if your number was stolen! Sounds fair to me screw up and have your system hacked and yet we have to pay the price for it. The only thing they're doing is giving you 1 years free identity theft protection once you've enrolled. Sorry but it's their screw up they should give it to you for life.
Agree. As-a-result of this MAJOR screw up by Equifax, they should give every consumer with a credit history on their file an increase of an automatic 100 points on their credit score. It's the least they can do.

They've exposed millions of people to not just damaging their credit, but exposing them to identity theft, and ruining a large financial piece of their lives--talk about the stress and overall huge hassle associated with this.

That's a really fair compromise for Equifax, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 09:13 AM

2,215 posts, read 742,342 times
You can find out if your data got hacked and sign up for free monitoring for one year.

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/enroll/

Old 09-08-2017, 10:10 AM

4,552 posts, read 5,466,666 times
Since Equifax wants you to enroll in their security program, is this just another "gotcha"?

Old 09-08-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Since Equifax wants you to enroll in their security program, is this just another "gotcha"?
Could be. By signing up you agree not to participate in any class action lawsuits against them.

You can only shake your head at this. The people who report your credit standing to everyone got hacked and enough data got stolen to affect your credit standing.

Free protection for one year yet that data will be out there forever to be bought, sold and traded.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:35 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,216,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
Could be. By signing up you agree not to participate in any class action lawsuits against them.

You can only shake your head at this. The people who report your credit standing to everyone got hacked and enough data got stolen to affect your credit standing.

Free protection for one year yet that data will be out there forever to be bought, sold and traded.
I haven't read all the specifics but if that's true I hope they're sued big time and go out of business!

It's bad enough now we'll all have to pay some ID company for life because of this never mind the headaches if someone actually has all your info. With all the info they stole they will have enough to open up bank accounts,loans and credit cards in your name. The worst will be dealing with the IRS. This is going to be a financial nightmare for a lot of people.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
I haven't read all the specific but if that's true I hope they're sued big time and go out of business!

It's bad enough now we'll all have to pay some ID company for life because of this never mind the headaches if someone actually has all your info. With all the info they stole they will have enough to open up bank accounts,loans and credit cards in your name. The worst will be dealing with the IRS. This is going to be a financial nightmare for a lot of people.
True. Credit card hacks are bad enough and I was a victim for both the big Target breach and the Home Depot breach.

But this is way worse then just a credit card breach.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:10 AM

6,545 posts, read 3,653,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I now firmly see the day arriving sooner than later of having your ID number tattooed on us, or a non-compromisable electronic chip implanted in us to confirm our identity.
The three credit bureaus all reported me dead for about five years. I only found out when I applied for a loan and they told me I was dead. (I hadn't been feeling too good but this was a shocker) Anyway...it was unverified information from a credit card company. Capital One reported me as dead that then went to the three credit bureaus...I had to explain to some ladies in a call center in India that I was really alive but they didn't seem to know what a credit bureau was and kept offering to cancel my card. It took a week of phone calls before I finally got it fixed. Maybe an identity chip would have helped. Even though I was "dead" I could still use my credit cards which I thought was very strange.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
You can find out if your data got hacked and sign up for free monitoring for one year.

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/enroll/
Well I went to the site to see if my data got stolen.

They didn't say "yes" and they didn't say "no". They said "maybe, so sign up".
I didn't sign up.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:37 AM

1,907 posts, read 957,275 times
Three of Equifax's senior executives sold nearly $1.8 million worth of stock just days after the hack was discovered, but, of course, well before it was announced. The company says that the executives "had no knowledge" of the hack. Bullhockey.

Somebody needs to go to jail over this.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:40 AM

35 posts, read 23,556 times
Quote:
Well I went to the site to see if my data got stolen.

They didn't say "yes" and they didn't say "no". They said "maybe, so sign up".
I didn't sign up.

I checked also today and got a message that mine "may have been compromised". (I knew I had obtained my annual credit report during that time). It gave me a date of 9/11/2017 where I should return to the website to continue with my enrollment process! They seem to have several options; monitoring, credit freeze, free credit report copies, etc., that would be available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or