U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 04:50 AM

64 posts, read 35,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
And the IRS just awarded Equifax a huge contract...what the heck????
But at least our representatives are on top of it this time...
That has to be worth a "little bit" of consolation.

Equifax Awarded $7.2 Million IRS Contract Despite Security Breach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 07:20 AM

2,813 posts, read 944,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAJ-New Jersey View Post
But at least our representatives are on top of it this time...
That has to be worth a "little bit" of consolation.

Equifax Awarded $7.2 Million IRS Contract Despite Security Breach
When congress goes after corporations, I always hear
lots of words and see very little worthwhile action.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:10 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,585,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Don't want to bite the hand that feeds 'em...

Old 10-10-2017, 09:52 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,299,978 times
https://youtu.be/vudP3ROnFYI

Elizabeth Warren telling it like it is.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Don't want to bite the hand that feeds 'em...
I think you see that clearly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
https://youtu.be/vudP3ROnFYI
Elizabeth Warren telling it like it is.
One of the very rare occasions that I agree with her.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:08 PM

29,843 posts, read 34,929,245 times
My one son recommended that I not freeze and that credit Monitoring was enough.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:09 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,366,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
My one son recommended that I not freeze and that credit Monitoring was enough.
Monitoring only tells you there is a problem AFTER something happens. Freezing prevents a thief from opening any new credit accounts (credit card, car loan, mortgage, etc) in your name.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:35 PM

29,843 posts, read 34,929,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Monitoring only tells you there is a problem AFTER something happens. Freezing prevents a thief from opening any new credit accounts (credit card, car loan, mortgage, etc) in your name.
I understand that. I know his training and background along with the OPM hack and his experience with that

Old 10-13-2017, 07:18 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,315,105 times
Because of the Equifax breach I did rush to set up a SSA online account.

How many of you have added that extra security factor using the celll phone texting code?
It's an option that you don't HAVE to select. I'm wondering how many people have done that.

On one hand I appreciate the offer.
But to be honest, having them text a code to log in is an annoyance. It makes it more time consuming for ME to log in.

Since only one account can be set up for a given number do you feel protected enough (whatever that means these days) just having registered the account -- knowing another canNOT be set up. OR do you still feel you need that second authentication step?

I guess I'm -- I don't really what to say resentful -- so I'll say slow to concede identity theft is causing us do all these machinations we didn't have to do before. It's inconveniencing US. Like I said maybe I'm just slow to accept the new reality.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Because of the Equifax breach I did rush to set up a SSA online account.
I haven't done that yet, but I plan to.

Quote:
How many of you have added that extra security factor using the celll phone texting code?
It's an option that you don't HAVE to select. I'm wondering how many people have done that.

On one hand I appreciate the offer.
But to be honest, having them text a code to log in is an annoyance. It makes it more time consuming for ME to log in.
Text codes (specifically SMS codes) improve security, marginally. That said, I don't know of any breach where the text codes were also breached at the same time.
But yes, they are a pain. I generally don't use them.
In addition to the routine inconvenience, what if, for some reason, you change your phone number?
More inconvenience.

Quote:
Since only one account can be set up for a given number do you feel protected enough (whatever that means these days) just having registered the account -- knowing another canNOT be set up. OR do you still feel you need that second authentication step?
Using the Text Code and the fact that there can only be one account per SSN are not that closely related. Like the North wall and East wall of a building, both are necessary for security, but changing the length of one doesn't change the length of the other. The Text Code prevents someone from logging into your account if they discover your password, but don't have your phone.

Quote:
I guess I'm -- I don't really what to say resentful -- so I'll say slow to concede identity theft is causing us do all these machinations we didn't have to do before. It's inconveniencing US. Like I said maybe I'm just slow to accept the new reality.
I get a little resentful from time to time.

I had no desire to jump into the second decade of the 21st Century, I prefer doing most of my business face to face, but our society is steadily moving towards impersonal business dealings where we are just a number in a machine.

This has forced my hand, and now I am finding that I will need to create quite a few online accounts for services that I previously had no intention of using online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or