U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 10:05 AM

6,875 posts, read 7,267,992 times

Advertisements

So do you think you'll set up the text security option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 10:18 AM

2,183 posts, read 1,338,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Wanted to report back that I was finally able to freeze my husband's credit file at Experian online. I didn't have to send them (and wasn't going to send them) copies of his driver's license and everything else they wanted. Turns out they were asking security/ID questions based on mistaken information in his credit report (they are also in mine). So when they asked a question like, "Which of these phone numbers has been associated with you?", instead of saying, "None of the above", I had to click the answer that matched the mistaken information they had in the report! Insanity. Apparently, they wanted him to send his ID in the last time I tried this, because too many security/identification questions were answered "wrong". (They had an incorrect address for us, too.)

Bottom line is that if you get that screen that says you have to mail or upload copies of documents you'd rather not give to the credit bureau, get a copy of your credit report and your spouse's. Then you can answer the freeze security questions "correctly". I did wait a few days before re-trying the security freeze.

So we have security freezes for both of us at all 3 of the "Big 3". I have heard there are 1 or 2 smaller credit reporting agencies; I will have to investigate further.

What a giant pain-in-the-you-know-what.
I had a similar experience but I did manage to print 2 free credit reports and freeze all 3. Took multiple tries because the security questions they ask are wrong or are from too long ago to remember. One screen I filled out had 4 questions and I answered None of the Above to all of them. Of course nothing was accomplished in that session. Had to go back later.

One of the questions presented a list of names and asked which one lives in or owns property in NC (present tense question). My son was on the list but sold the house in NC 3 years ago. I think None of the Above was the wrong answer on that one. Still not sure how they connected me to my son on my credit report.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:27 AM

2,782 posts, read 928,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
So do you think you'll set up the text security option?
I won't set it up with anyone who doesn't require it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or