U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 12:24 PM

458 posts, read 857,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I now firmly see the day arriving sooner than later of having your ID number tattooed on us, or a non-compromisable electronic chip implanted in us to confirm our identity. Just like they do with pets. But an implanted chip is just another way to track everything you do.

SS numbers will come off Medicare cards next year, I've been asking for that for years. Finally they are doing it.

Next up a bar code tattoo or the like and a whole new ID number to memorize.

Yippie.

Yep, there will be plenty of "breaches and failures" to convince the people to voluntarily get chipped or tattooed and it's in the best interest. The sheep will adopt early without thinking through the consequences. Then they can track your every movement and control your accounts, keep you from getting loan, job, etc.

Problem, reaction, solution. It's been going on for awhile now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 01:07 PM

3,867 posts, read 6,662,420 times
I went to the site they tell you to check to see if you're affected, and it said that I might be. So I began the enrollment process in TrustedIDPremier (). You have to wait 4 days to get to the next step of full enrollment. That's ridiculous, besides the unsettling requirement to give them 6 of the 9 digits in your SS #.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:00 PM

2,041 posts, read 3,219,129 times
I forgot I had this saved. You can put a "Credit Freeze" on all 3 of your credit reports so it'll restrict the access to your credit reports. It's a pain to keep freezing and unfreezing them but it's a cheap way to restrict access to your report.

Quote:
Also known as a security freeze, this tool lets you restrict access to your credit report, which in turn makes it more difficult for identity thieves to open new accounts in your name. That’s because most creditors need to see your credit report before they approve a new account. If they can’t see your file, they may not extend the credit.

Contact each of the nationwide credit reporting companies:

Equifax — 1-800-349-9960
Experian — 1‑888‑397‑3742
TransUnion — 1-888-909-8872

You'll need to supply your name, address, date of birth, Social Security number and other personal information. Fees vary based on where you live, but commonly range from $5 to $10.

After receiving your freeze request, each credit reporting company will send you a confirmation letter containing a unique PIN (personal identification number) or password. Keep the PIN or password in a safe place. You will need it if you choose to lift the freeze.
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...eze-faqs#score

You could be relinquishing your rights to a class action suit if you do sign up for their ID protection or anything else from them.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/08/were...742&yptr=yahoo

Last edited by Gixxer1K; 09-08-2017 at 03:12 PM..

Old 09-08-2017, 03:11 PM

11,091 posts, read 12,475,857 times
No one would want to steal my identity. I got an email from the Russians, seems they hacked my bank account and social media. I got a sympathy card and a bottle of Vodka in the mail.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:16 PM

2,532 posts, read 803,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
No one would want to steal my identity. I got an email from the Russians, seems they hacked my bank account and social media. I got a sympathy card and a bottle of Vodka in the mail.
I'm so hoping this is not a joke

Old 09-08-2017, 03:18 PM

2,532 posts, read 803,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
I forgot I had this saved. You can put a "Credit Freeze" on all 3 of your credit reports so it'll restrict the access to your credit reports. It's a pain to keep freezing and unfreezing them but it's a cheap way to restrict access to your report.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...eze-faqs#score

You could be relinquishing your rights to a class action suit if you do sign up for their ID protection or anything else from them.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/08/were...742&yptr=yahoo
Doesn't this assume that the credit bureaus will be notified if someone tries to use your card? I don't think that's always true, is it? I was also told "maybe" and to wait till 9/12 to sign up. I think we're hosed

Old 09-08-2017, 03:30 PM

184 posts, read 102,354 times
Mine was impacted, but I have to come back in 5 days to enroll. My husband was also affected, but has to come back in 3 days to enroll. I am not happy.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:50 PM

6,561 posts, read 7,981,951 times
I would worry that a bad actor could get your full social security number from a combination of your birthplace + the last 6 numbers of your SS code. So I'm not willing to type it into their system. Going to wait a couple weeks to make sure all is legitimate or will use a different route to freeze my credit.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:51 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,260,355 times
Just a little note to people who are going to freeze their credit:

1. Make sure you have a my social security account opened first. https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/ The reason being, that Social Security uses Equafax data to identify you. If you don't do this first, you will have trouble opening an account, or will be required to go to a Social Security office to get your information.

2. Freezing your credit just prevents accounts from being opened. It does not prevent people from using your ID to fraudulently obtain tax refunds, to impersonate you in order to empty your bank/investment accounts, to use your medical insurance fraudulently, or for other purposes that do not fall under the credit freeze protection.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:20 PM

15,243 posts, read 8,532,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
Could be. By signing up you agree not to participate in any class action lawsuits against them.

You can only shake your head at this. The people who report your credit standing to everyone got hacked and enough data got stolen to affect your credit standing.

Free protection for one year yet that data will be out there forever to be bought, sold and traded.
I doubt that can hold up in court....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or