U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 04:46 PM

11,043 posts, read 3,984,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Since Equifax wants you to enroll in their security program, is this just another "gotcha"?

I was thinking the same thing!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 04:48 PM

2,781 posts, read 930,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I would worry that a bad actor could get your full social security number from a combination of your birthplace + the last 6 numbers of your SS code. So I'm not willing to type it into their system. Going to wait a couple weeks to make sure all is legitimate or will use a different route to freeze my credit.
That is my plan, as well.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:50 PM

2,133 posts, read 1,799,399 times
As Equifax consumers attempt to check whether they are among the 143 million individuals whose information has been compromised in a massive cyber-attack, the consumer credit reporting agency has included a clause on its TrustedID portal that could disqualify victims from joining a class-action suit.

In response to the hack, Equifax has established a website allowing individuals to check whether their personal information has been impacted. However, by using the portal and joining TrustedID, it appears from the terms of service that people are implicitly agreeing to a clause that bars them from taking part in any class action against the company: “Please read this entire section carefully because it affects your legal rights by requiring arbitration of disputes (except as set forth below) and a waiver of the ability to bring or participate in a class action, class arbitration, or other representative action. Arbitration provides a quick and cost effective mechanism for resolving disputes, but you should be aware that it also limits your rights to discovery and appeal.” The caveat was first reported by TechCrunch Opens a New Window. .
On Friday, Equifax updated its terms of service allowing consumers to opt out of this arbitration clause, but that requires them to “notify Equifax in writing within 30 days of the date that you first accept this agreement on the site,” according to The Washington Post. Opens a New Window.
One of the attorneys involved with a proposed class-action lawsuit filed on Thursday evening warned customers about using the portal.
“Equifax has placed a stealth arbitration clause, which waives the victim’s right to sue,” Ben Meiselas, attorney with Geragos & Geragos, told FOX Business on Friday. “By checking the Equifax site if you are a victim and entering your information binds a consumer to a complex arbitration scheme.”
Another problem with using the TrustedID program is that it is operated by Equifax, so consumers are once again giving sensitive information to the company.
Equifax did not return FOX Business’ request for comment at the time of publication.
More on this...

Geragos & Geragos along with OlsenDaines filed a proposed class-action suit Thursday evening on behalf of two plaintiffs whose information was stored by Equifax and hacked by an unauthorized third party. The complaint alleges Equifax was negligent in failing to provide adequate technological safeguards to protect consumer information and that it should have spent more to prevent cyber-attacks, but chose not to.
Meiselas said the class-action suit against Equifax could be one of the largest “in U.S. history.” The firm is seeking up to $70 billion in damages as a result of two years’ worth of identity theft for victims, Meiselas told FOX Business. He also voiced concerns about the three executives who sold stock after the company became aware of the breach on July 29, but before it was disclosed publicly on Thursday.

Equifax hack victims could be disqualifying themselves from class-action claims, here's how | Fox Business

Old 09-08-2017, 06:10 PM

5,207 posts, read 2,079,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The three credit bureaus all reported me dead for about five years. I only found out when I applied for a loan and they told me I was dead. (I hadn't been feeling too good but this was a shocker) Anyway...it was unverified information from a credit card company. Capital One reported me as dead that then went to the three credit bureaus...I had to explain to some ladies in a call center in India that I was really alive but they didn't seem to know what a credit bureau was and kept offering to cancel my card. It took a week of phone calls before I finally got it fixed. Maybe an identity chip would have helped. Even though I was "dead" I could still use my credit cards which I thought was very strange.
Ah, life is so much fun, isn't it?

Old 09-08-2017, 06:20 PM

35,454 posts, read 10,488,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I now firmly see the day arriving sooner than later of having your ID number tattooed on us, or a non-compromisable electronic chip implanted in us to confirm our identity. Just like they do with pets. But an implanted chip is just another way to track everything you do.

SS numbers will come off Medicare cards next year, I've been asking for that for years. Finally they are doing it.

Next up a bar code tattoo or the like and a whole new ID number to memorize.

Yippie.

And who is it who asks for your Medicare info? Why, the doctor, ER, or other medical provider, of course. You know, the ones who also need your SSN.

For those who carry their Medicare cards with them, and lose them, this will be great. Unless they also carry their SS cards.

Until the SSN is no longer used as an identifier, identity theft will continue to be a threat.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:33 PM

6,192 posts, read 2,856,740 times
all I know is I pity the fool who gets my credit info.....My score is lower then some IQ's! (jk!).

What I don't understand is since this happened in July....they had all this time to notify....?

Old 09-08-2017, 07:27 PM

102 posts, read 45,219 times
I haven't read all the details but if there is class action lawsuit against Equifax on behalf of a significant number of 143 million, does Equifax even have the assets to award damages.

Reminds me of another consumer class action lawsuit in which I was awarded 19 cents if I put in a claim.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:09 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,203,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
Well I went to the site to see if my data got stolen.

They didn't say "yes" and they didn't say "no". They said "maybe, so sign up".
I didn't sign up.
I entered mine and my husbands data... and mine said my info. wasn't hacked but when I entered hubby's data it didn't say anything..

if you do sign up be prepared because you can't sign up today or tomorrow.. They told me to come back Sept 15th and I'd be able to sign up.

I found out you can put a permanent freeze on your credit report though. It costs like $10.00, sometimes it's free and that means no one can access your credit report unless you already have credit with them and that's just to see that your accts. are still in good standing. So if you freeze your credit report no one can take out any credit in your name. If for some reason you need to apply for credit you call the credit reporting agency a few days in advance and give permission to allow whatever company to access your credit report.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:02 PM

2,517 posts, read 800,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES67 View Post
I haven't read all the details but if there is class action lawsuit against Equifax on behalf of a significant number of 143 million, does Equifax even have the assets to award damages.

Reminds me of another consumer class action lawsuit in which I was awarded 19 cents if I put in a claim.
Apparently, one of the things the execs did between July 29th and this week when they weren't telling anyone what happened, was sell off a boat load of stock in anticipation of the news tanking the value on the stock exchange. Sure enough, it lost 13% but those execs are laughing all the way to the bank. I got a .79 cent check once because of a Wells Fargo lawsuit and you better believe I cashed it.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:17 PM

5,433 posts, read 3,503,426 times
Hacking is number one threat to us, the government has got to get its act together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or