U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2017, 04:53 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,060,700 times

Advertisements

I thought they were required to advise people by mail if their info has been breached. I have a feeling they have no clue who has and hasn't been breached. When I tried to put a credit freeze through Experian they said I would have to request it by mail! I imagine they are all being innundated with requests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 05:37 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,546,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Whats worse is that this same company will be the one giving you a bad credit score if your number was stolen! Sounds fair to me screw up and have your system hacked and yet we have to pay the price for it. The only thing they're doing is giving you 1 years free identity theft protection once you've enrolled. Sorry but it's their screw up they should give it to you for life.
Suggestions to combat the theft from Equifax:

Step 1: Check your credit reports

More than three months passed between the time the breach may have started and now. We're not sure if the data of those affected was used maliciously during that period, so consider looking through your credit reports for any suspicious activity. The US government guarantees everyone a free annual credit report from the three major bureaus -- yes, including Experian. You can get those reports here. (UK citizens can find links to credit agencies here.)

When looking through your reports, keep an eye out for new accounts you didn't open, late payments on debts you don't recognize and any other activity that looks unfamiliar.

If you suspect someone used your identity to open credit cards, take on loans, or reopen closed accounts, contact the credit card company's fraud department immediately. You are not responsible for charges made on a fraudulent card, but you have to report the issue in a timely manner. Once you've reported the fraudulent credit, follow this guide to recovering from identity theft.
Step 2:
It's still early days, so even if your credit report comes back clean, remain vigilant about protecting your credit. One of the most reliable ways to prevent someone from opening credit cards in your name is to place what's called a "credit freeze."

When you freeze your credit, you (or anyone masquerading as you) will be required to unfreeze your account by providing the PIN you got when you froze your credit.

To freeze your credit, contact each of the credit bureaus using these phone numbers:

Equifax: 1-800-349-9960
Experian: 1‑888‑397‑3742
TransUnion: 1-888-909-8872
The process is usually automated and can be completed within a few minutes. Just be sure to write down your PINs in a secure place.

Step 3: Set a fraud alert

A fraud alert is another way to make it hard for identity thieves to open accounts in your name. When a fraud alert is set, credit card companies will be required to verify your identity before opening an account. That, combined with the credit freeze, is a great way to keep your credit secure.

To set a fraud alert, contact just one of the credit card bureaus and ask for an initial fraud alert. Once the alert is set, it will last 90 days. After that, you'll have to renew it. Here are the appropriate phone numbers for the bureaus (remember, just call one):

Equifax: 1-888-766-0008
Experian: 1-888-397-3742
TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289
Step 5: Repeat the process for your loved ones

Because Equifax is not notifying those affected through direct mail or email, some people will be left without the resources or tech savvy to protect their identities or find out if they were compromised. With that in mind, consider helping your loved ones -- especially the elderly without computer access -- with the above steps.

Watch out for tax season

It's still to early to know if and how the data exposed in Equifax's breach will be misused, but one major concern comes around during tax season. Identity thieves can use stolen Social Security numbers to file fraudulent tax returns and receive refunds.

Many victims find out they have been targeted in tax fraud when they try to file their taxes -- the IRS tells them that their taxes were already filed. One of the best ways to prevent this from happening is to file early. For more, the IRS has an easy-to-follow guide on tax fraud.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/psa-equi...is-a-hot-mess/

Last edited by jimj; 09-09-2017 at 05:46 PM..

Old 09-09-2017, 05:37 PM

6,884 posts, read 7,284,046 times
Quote:
I thought they were required to advise people by mail if their info has been breached.
Their website says they will.

jamj, they've already backed off of that. A post onCD say a NYAG's office put on some heat.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:38 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,546,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
The hospital I just had surgery uses ss numbers as patient ids. Congress needs to put a stop to anyone using Ss for identifying purposes. I've tried to get through to other reporting agencies to put a credit freeze and was only successful with one. I imagine their systems are overloaded at this point.

I wouldn't sign up for their protection plan...kind of like the fox guarding the henhouse! I don't have any faith in Equifax.
I stopped giving out my SS# to medical places many years ago. There's no law nor any other legal requirement for you to do so.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:42 PM

5,202 posts, read 671,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
The hospital I just had surgery uses ss numbers as patient ids. Congress needs to put a stop to anyone using Ss for identifying purposes.
I work for a state university and they stopped using SS#s for IDs years ago. Students are identified by their Peoplesoft #for all transactions.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:46 PM

1,959 posts, read 1,208,648 times
experian.com/scan is offering a free one time scan of your email address to see if it's on the dark web..

The only info. they ask for is your email address.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:49 PM

2,788 posts, read 934,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
experian.com/scan is offering a free one time scan of your email address to see if it's on the dark web..

I would NOT do that.

There is another site that has been doing that for years, and it isn't related to experian.
I trust the other site, not experian

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

If they tell you that your email is on any of their lists, you are advised to go to your email provider and change your password. That is about it.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:08 PM

1,959 posts, read 1,208,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I would NOT do that.

There is another site that has been doing that for years, and it isn't related to experian.
I trust the other site, not experian

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

If they tell you that your email is on any of their lists, you are advised to go to your email provider and change your password. That is about it.
Well, I already did it. I'll let you know what they say.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:17 PM

659 posts, read 352,662 times
Don't know if this is coincidence or not, though I've never had fraudulent charges made to my debit/credit card until today.

Today I found out two things:
1. yes, I was identified as being included in the Equifax data breach, then later this afternoon - -
2. I was contacted by my credit union's fraud protection unit wanting me to verify 2 charges made from a movie theater somewhere in Mexico.

So the debit/credit card was immediately frozen and will have to get a new card next week. Also since the 2 charges are already pending in my checking account (which means they will go through), I will have to go through the dispute process next week to get those funds returned to my account. Luckily, these were both under $10, so not a big hit. But if they had been, I'd be without that money for however long it takes to get the fraud dispute process completed.

Now, I never use this card as a debit card, I only ever use it as a credit card, but the funds are still drawn directly from my checking account within 1-2 days, so now I'm wondering how it's any safer than using it as a debit card. And I use this card for everything. So, glad I still have those checks in my wallet! They're gonna come in handy for a few days.

Hmm, could these 2 events (data breach + fraudulent use of my debit card) possibly be related??? I am going to have to keep a very close watch on all my credit accounts and credit report for a few weeks, even though I signed up for the Equifax 90-Fraud Alert service starting immediately, and will complete enrollment of the Equifax TrustedID Premier service on 9/13.

Last edited by BijouBaby; 09-09-2017 at 07:46 PM..

Old 09-09-2017, 06:48 PM

2,215 posts, read 743,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post

And if it's not found do they plan to add it to the dark web (to outdo Equifax)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or