U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2017, 06:50 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,296,099 times

Advertisements

I don't imagine it would be too easy to open a car loan or get a mortgage with this hacked info would it? Should we be more worried about credit cards being opened?

I think Equifax should pay for credit monitoring and credit freeze unlocks for all credit reporting agencies for all those affected for life.
As for getting anything meaningful in a class action suit well you can forget that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 07:03 PM

2,215 posts, read 742,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I don't imagine it would be too easy to open a car loan or get a mortgage with this hacked info would it? Should we be more worried about credit cards being opened?

I think Equifax should pay for credit monitoring and credit freeze unlocks for all credit reporting agencies for all those affected for life.
As for getting anything meaningful in a class action suit well you can forget that.
Tax fraud is another concern so file as early as possible.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:11 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,296,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
Tax fraud is another concern so file as early as possible.
I always file early. One other concern I have would be someone rerouting my direct deposit SS money. What do I need to do about that concern if anything?

I have always checked all of my credit card accounts and bank accounts twice daily so no big deal there my only other concern would be some joker opening a HELOC in my name. How much should I be worried about that kind of thing?

Old 09-09-2017, 07:14 PM

6,876 posts, read 7,276,074 times
Quote:
So the debit/credit card was immediately frozen and will have to get a new card next week.
Picking up on Bijou's point....
If that card is linked to your actual bank account (even though you only use it as credit).....do you think you need to move money out of that account and just get a new account, period? Or no?

I know that's a PITA to do, but.....if it's linked to my actual bank account I might consider that extra step.

For just a straight CC that's NOT linked in any way to my bank account, then I'd likely not have that additional concern.

Quote:
I always file early.
I usually do. But some years I have waited until late March/early April. I'll just have to make an extra effort to do early for this year. Yep, you betcha. This year of all years, I've got more moving parts to my taxes than usual. So I'll be waiting for documents and statements from more sources. Arrggh...

Old 09-09-2017, 07:52 PM

659 posts, read 352,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Picking up on Bijou's point....
If that card is linked to your actual bank account (even though you only use it as credit).....do you think you need to move money out of that account and just get a new account, period? Or no?

I know that's a PITA to do, but.....if it's linked to my actual bank account I might consider that extra step.

For just a straight CC that's NOT linked in any way to my bank account, then I'd likely not have that additional concern.
I don't think I need to close my bank account and open another. Though you raise a very good point. I'll talk to my credit union on Monday about this to see if there is any risk to my bank account from fraudulent use of the debit/credit card that was tied to it.

I have been through closing a bank account and re-opening a new one because of possible fraud and it's not a simple or short or convenient process. I'd hate to have to go through that again. But will in a heartbeat if I'm advised to do so by my credit union next week. Grrrr....

Old 09-09-2017, 07:59 PM

659 posts, read 352,149 times
Okay, I have a question that sprung from this fraudulent use of my card today. So how do they do it? In this case, it was 2 charges, both under $10, both at the same movie theater in Mexico just minutes apart. So I'm assuming it was an online purchase for tickets or crap they sell there, since they didn't have my actual card. But how do they do this without the security code on the back of the card? I just can't think like these wanks, so don't know how they do the nasty deed.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:51 PM

2,517 posts, read 800,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAJ-New Jersey View Post
Equifax says I may have been affected.
The first thing I did was put a Security Freeze on my credit report with all three credit reporting bureau's.
A Security Freeze may or may not be free, depending on the state you live in, it is free in N.J.
The Trans Union site has a list of all states and if any charges will apply.

https://www.transunion.com/credit-fr...-credit-freeze

https://www.experian.com/freeze/center.html

https://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freez...onalIDInfo.jsp

I then added a Fraud Alert to my credit report with Equifax who will notify both Trans Union and Experian and they will in turn add the alert to your credit report with them.
The fraud alert lasts 90 days but can be renewed as often as needed.

https://www.alerts.equifax.com/AutoF...fraudAlert.jsp

I then contacted my bank (online) to see if there is anything I should do as far as protecting my accounts and credit card, still waiting to hear back from them.

I will be signing up for the free one year credit monitoring service offered by Equifax on 9/13.
I did all of the above except Experian said it couldn't process my request so I will have to call them. Both my credit unions are very diligent about alerting me to weird activity and even caught a couple of people that hacked into my account, so I'm not sure what else I can expect from them.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:53 PM

5,278 posts, read 3,316,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Equifax will probably file for bankruptcy and be dissolved by the end of next year, so they won't be paying for any credit monitoring for anybody for life.

I posted this in another thread about a class action lawsuit and I agree with you (the only people getting rich off of a class action is the lawyers ):

So basically, let's say a class action lawsuit is won, and the award is something like $100 million, after the lawyers take their cut, we all end up with like $0.25, sounds about right. If we throw out a pie-in-the-sky number of $10,000, in order to get that each, after the lawyers cut, never forget about their cut, the award would probably need to be in excess of $1.5 TRILLION, with a "T".

Old 09-09-2017, 10:45 PM

4,572 posts, read 7,057,201 times
I wouldn't care if I only got one cent from a class action. Victims need to unite against this company, and any in the future, to send a message to the rest of them that they need to take whatever actions necessary to secure our information. Not to mention how much power they have over our lives.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:50 PM

4,572 posts, read 7,057,201 times
You can contact the IRS if you think you may have been involved in fraud or identity theft. They will send you a code to put on your tax forms and your returns won't be processed without it. They send me a new code each year...very easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or