Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 07:18 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Was able to do a security freeze with Transunion and Experian online hassle free, however Equifax wasn't successful. I entered my personal info on the step 1 page. When I clicked continue to get me to the step 2 page I got a error message "We Are Currently Unable To Service Your Request. Please Try Again Later". If anything, these bozos should have made it the easiest to set up a credit freeze since they started this mess. I hope their top management officials are strung up for this!!
I doubt it. The CEO and 2 top officials responsible for security "retired".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 07:51 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
I have read in multiple places that Social Security uses Experian when you set up a My Social Security account. Anyone here who can verify that from your experience with SS?

Old 09-30-2017, 10:47 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,313,107 times
Quote:
Was able to do a security freeze with Transunion and Experian online hassle free, however Equifax wasn't successful. I entered my personal info on the step 1 page. When I clicked continue to get me to the step 2 page I got a error message "We Are Currently Unable To Service Your Request. Please Try Again Later". If anything, these bozos should have made it the easiest to set up a credit freeze since they started this mess. I hope their top management officials are strung up for this!!
I had the same experience.. and what really bugs me is that they asked so much personal info moreso than any other site only to be told 'sorry. try again later'. Now the info. I gave to them is out on the web somewhere just waiting to be hacked and that's what concerns me most.

They really screwed up big time.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:06 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Quote:
I just did it and it worked fine. The questions they asked I responded to with the best answers I knew. But in the end, it did connect and I was able to lock my Equifax account. It tells you to save the page as a bookmark so you can unlock it in the future.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:15 PM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I just did it and it worked fine. The questions they asked I responded to with the best answers I knew. But in the end, it did connect and I was able to lock my Equifax account. It tells you to save the page as a bookmark so you can unlock it in the future.
I would suggest you write that information somewhere else,
in addition to saving that page as a bookmark.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:58 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I would suggest you write that information somewhere else,
in addition to saving that page as a bookmark.
Done.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:03 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
SAN FRANCISCO – Credit monitoring company Equifax has been hit by a high-tech heist that exposed the Social Security numbers and other sensitive information about 143 million Americans. Now the unwitting victims have to worry about the threat of having their identities stolen.

The Atlanta-based company, one of three major U.S. credit bureaus, said Thursday that "criminals" exploited a U.S. website application to access files between mid-May and July of this year.
The theft obtained consumers' names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and, in some cases, driver's license numbers. The purloined data can be enough for crooks to hijack the identities of people whose credentials were stolen through no fault of their own, potentially wreaking havoc on their lives.
More on this...

"On a scale of one to 10, this is a 10 in terms of potential identity theft," said Gartner security analyst Avivah Litan. "Credit bureaus keep so much data about us that affects almost everything we do."
Lenders rely on the information collected by the credit bureaus to help them decide whether to approve financing for homes, cars and credit cards. Credit checks are even sometimes done by employers when deciding whom to hire for a job.
Equifax discovered the hack July 29, but waited until Thursday to warn consumers. The Atlanta-based company declined to comment on that delay or anything else beyond its published statement. It's not unusual for U.S. authorities to ask a company hit in a major hack to delay public notice so that investigators can pursue the perpetrators.
The company established a website, https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/ , where people can check to see if their personal information may have been stolen. Consumers can also call 866-447-7559 for more information. Experian is also offering free credit monitoring to all U.S. consumers for a year.

Equifax breach exposes 143 million people to identity theft | Fox Business
Yeah, I was one of the people affected by this.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:07 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
Wanted to report back that I was finally able to freeze my husband's credit file at Experian online. I didn't have to send them (and wasn't going to send them) copies of his driver's license and everything else they wanted. Turns out they were asking security/ID questions based on mistaken information in his credit report (they are also in mine). So when they asked a question like, "Which of these phone numbers has been associated with you?", instead of saying, "None of the above", I had to click the answer that matched the mistaken information they had in the report! Insanity. Apparently, they wanted him to send his ID in the last time I tried this, because too many security/identification questions were answered "wrong". (They had an incorrect address for us, too.)

Bottom line is that if you get that screen that says you have to mail or upload copies of documents you'd rather not give to the credit bureau, get a copy of your credit report and your spouse's. Then you can answer the freeze security questions "correctly". I did wait a few days before re-trying the security freeze.

So we have security freezes for both of us at all 3 of the "Big 3". I have heard there are 1 or 2 smaller credit reporting agencies; I will have to investigate further.

What a giant pain-in-the-you-know-what.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:28 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,191,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Wanted to report back that I was finally able to freeze my husband's credit file at Experian online. I didn't have to send them (and wasn't going to send them) copies of his driver's license and everything else they wanted. Turns out they were asking security/ID questions based on mistaken information in his credit report (they are also in mine). So when they asked a question like, "Which of these phone numbers has been associated with you?", instead of saying, "None of the above", I had to click the answer that matched the mistaken information they had in the report! Insanity. Apparently, they wanted him to send his ID in the last time I tried this, because too many security/identification questions were answered "wrong". (They had an incorrect address for us, too.)

Bottom line is that if you get that screen that says you have to mail or upload copies of documents you'd rather not give to the credit bureau, get a copy of your credit report and your spouse's. Then you can answer the freeze security questions "correctly". I did wait a few days before re-trying the security freeze.

So we have security freezes for both of us at all 3 of the "Big 3". I have heard there are 1 or 2 smaller credit reporting agencies; I will have to investigate further.

What a giant pain-in-the-you-know-what.
The 4th one is Innovis. It's very easy to freeze with them on their website. And it is free.

And yes, this has been a massive and asinine pain in the a$$. I resent being in a position of having absolutely no control over the protection of my personal data. The freeze is the big gun. After that, fingers x'd.

Last edited by BijouBaby; 10-06-2017 at 04:37 PM..

Old 10-06-2017, 09:39 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
And the IRS just awarded Equifax a huge contract...what the heck????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement