Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2017, 08:20 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,191,203 times

Advertisements

Saturday I was able to download all three credit reports using AnnualCreditReport.com. (https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action). Everything looked kosher at this point. You won't get your FICO scores, but you will get full credit reports from all three credit reporting companies; one report per company per year.

You can get your full credit reports for free each year, no charge or obligation. I had already gottenthe TransUnion report this past year thru them, but because I had experience credit card fraud last week, I was able to get another report again.

As of tomorrow, I'll be on Equifax's TrustedID Premier service for 1 year, free. But after that I will probably use LifeLock or Experian's credit monitoring product.

Also for the question asked earlier in this thread about whether a debit card account that was closed due to fraudulent activity would endanger your bank account that the card was tied to... When my debit Visa was closed last week, I spoke with my credit union who said that there was no direct way that my banking accounts could be compromised from their connection with the Visa debit card, since it has it's own account number like any other visa card. Only that account number was affected by fraud. So I just ordered a new card, the fraudulent charges were restored within one day, and that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 08:45 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
I want NY's and other AGs to push for us all to be able to get FREE credit freezes.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:59 AM

1,155 posts, read 961,676 times
I forgot to say, be sure all your text alerts for credit accounts, bank accounts, and investment accounts are turned on. I was notified by text about fraudulent transactions in two accounts moments after they happened. I called both companies at once, and the fraudulent activity was removed from my accounts the next day.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:32 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Hacking is number one threat to us

No it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
the government has got to get its act together.
Which act would that be?

Old 09-12-2017, 02:58 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
I dare anybody out there to steal my identity. Double dare!

They would be trying to give it back so fast ... I might take it back if they pay me ...

Old 09-12-2017, 04:39 PM

221 posts, read 192,671 times
Having never applied for credit it would not be troubling to dispute an imposter using my identity.
A sufferer of the Tampa medical record heist did initiate me, many years ago, of how intrusive these hacks can be. This is one ugly affair.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:26 PM

5,135 posts, read 3,747,404 times
No problem initiating a freeze with TU this morning but can't do it with EQ and EX. Ex the page loads to infinity and EQ gives no can do now message. Anyone else having this problem?

Old 09-13-2017, 12:44 PM

99,501 posts, read 4,489,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
No problem initiating a freeze with TU this morning but can't do it with EQ and EX. Ex the page loads to infinity and EQ gives no can do now message. Anyone else having this problem?
A friend of mine said he was able to initiate a freeze with EQ. However, they failed to give him the PIN number to unfreeze it.

Many people are having problems with this mess.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:30 PM

5,135 posts, read 3,747,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
A friend of mine said he was able to initiate a freeze with EQ. However, they failed to give him the PIN number to unfreeze it.

Many people are having problems with this mess.
Finally was able to get into Equifax but they won't do a freeze online. They want me to send a letter containing my name address DOB and SS number. Really? Not happy with this arrangement

Old 09-13-2017, 02:30 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,295 times
I ended up doing a fraud alert with one of them (not Equifax) and they will put the alert on the other two agencies. It's free for 90 days.

The IRS has had data breaches in 2015, 2016 and 2017. Then you have the OPM data breach and now the FAFSA breach (student loan database). That and the numerous retailers and healthcare companies reporting breaches.

Nothing is safe. Assume it's all out there on the dark web being bought for bitcoins.

I used to just check my CC activity once a month and nothing else. Now I check everything every day to see if someone has robbed me blind through no fault of my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement