U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2017, 11:05 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,611,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Looks are certainly an issue, but what I don't hear anyone discussing is loss of physical ability. Maybe I'm the only one this bothers. Talk about a loss of quality of life, when you can no longer do the activities you loved, and that identified you.

OA runs in my family, and after 3 joint replacements, I am very restricted in what I can do. All my former hobbies are gone.

I am NOT adjusting well to that. At all. 62 seems too early for this kind of thing; after a lifetime of physical jobs and activities....

Seriously, Sand&Salt - you need to read THE WAHL'S PROTOCOL. I had advancing RA as well as OA and pretty much lost the use of my hands. Refused standard meds which are IMMUNE SUPPRESSORS. Read the WP, and my hands are BACK! It is as least controlled with minimal pain. I also see a Naturopath. Traditional medicine can kiss my butt where this malady is concerned. Organic food is expensive, and I struggle on anywhere from 12 - 17K per year. I'll sacrifice anything else to stay on the organic - at least for the most part. Check it out. XO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 11:48 AM

2,886 posts, read 1,412,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Seriously, Sand&Salt - you need to read THE WAHL'S PROTOCOL. I had advancing RA as well as OA and pretty much lost the use of my hands. Refused standard meds which are IMMUNE SUPPRESSORS. Read the WP, and my hands are BACK! It is as least controlled with minimal pain. I also see a Naturopath. Traditional medicine can kiss my butt where this malady is concerned. Organic food is expensive, and I struggle on anywhere from 12 - 17K per year. I'll sacrifice anything else to stay on the organic - at least for the most part. Check it out. XO
Not Sand and salt but I will check it out. I have osteoarthritis. had my left knee replaced last year, much better but sleeping is still hard.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:57 AM

23,835 posts, read 8,328,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Not Sand and salt but I will check it out. I have osteoarthritis. had my left knee replaced last year, much better but sleeping is still hard.

Question on knee replacement, my knee got all worse from hip replacement 7 yrs ago. My knee is pretty bad and I use ointments, knee supports and now use a walker. Had a nasty staph infection in that knee which put me out of commission for a terrible almost 5 months...long story.

I know about these replacements and have a hard time believing everyone does "so great". Sitting and sleeping my knee does not bother me so pain, hardly pain, but when I start to walk. But I so fear more trauma to the body with another KNIFE cutting me. So are you really glad to did TKR, I'm 79. I know everyone's experiences are different. Do some really end up regretting doing them. J

I pretty much eat Paleo now for the last 10 yrs or so...don't bring BREADS into the house..cut cut cut carbs way back.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:58 AM

2,886 posts, read 1,412,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
If no one told a person that 'hot flashes' can be part of menopause or if no one told a person that even such a thing existed, one would just think of oneself as maybe feeling too warm/hot at times or sweating easily at times.

If so-called 'hot flashes' were never told to the population and weren't trumped up beyond belief, unbelievably over-dramatized, exaggerated as a cliche, and erroneously over-emphasized, they wouldn't even be mentioned. A good number of people sweat quite a bit - both men and women -.... having nothing to do with menopause.

So basically you're saying we're too stupid to figure out some thing is definitely happening to our bodies??

Well my hot flashes were not a product of my imagination nor was I feeling too "warm".

anyhoo op, I've embraced my getting older.

I no longer have to suffer fools daily, my kids are young adults now so I don't have to put myself last. I'm less than 2 years away from retiring and I'm still healthy (enough) to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

whatever age I'm at... thats the best time of my life

Old 09-10-2017, 12:04 PM

6,345 posts, read 5,081,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Question on knee replacement, my knee got all worse from hip replacement 7 yrs ago. My knee is pretty bad and I use ointments, knee supports and now use a walker. Had a nasty staph infection in that knee which put me out of commission for a terrible almost 5 months...long story.

I know about these replacements and have a hard time believing everyone does "so great". Sitting and sleeping my knee does not bother me so pain, hardly pain, but when I start to walk. But I so fear more trauma to the body with another KNIFE cutting me. So are you really glad to did TKR, I'm 79. I know everyone's experiences are different. Do some really end up regretting doing them. J

I pretty much eat Paleo now for the last 10 yrs or so...don't bring BREADS into the house..cut cut cut carbs way back.
One of my friends is about to have surgery on the same knee now for the fifth time! Third replacement. Same knee. Lots of issues with the second replacement. They replaced the first one because it was time - I guess. They only last so long. The second one has been a total nightmare for her. Even hospitalization and nursing home for antibiotic infusion treatment. Awful.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:43 PM

4,249 posts, read 8,149,814 times
Is it a given, to have a knee replacement? What would one need to do to avoid it?

Old 09-10-2017, 01:40 PM

23,835 posts, read 8,328,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
One of my friends is about to have surgery on the same knee now for the fifth time! Third replacement. Same knee. Lots of issues with the second replacement. They replaced the first one because it was time - I guess. They only last so long. The second one has been a total nightmare for her. Even hospitalization and nursing home for antibiotic infusion treatment. Awful.
I'm sure there are enough stories like this one. How many people do WE really talk to in this world who do these replacements. I'm living with 3 major complications from hip replacement, so the fear to "replace" again is big in my mind.

Are there alternatives? Is it a given, NO.

1. Don't do them. Use knee supports, joint supps and a walker if necessary. Do one's best to "accept" what what has become, and change lifestyle accordingly. I sure have.

2. PRP/Stem Cells if one can afford this work, it CAN SAVE one from replacements. No guarantee but they can work and even if 10-30% help that is good.

My whole parents generation did NOT do replacements and they all lived and limped into long lives. Many still limp and deal with pain with replacements.

No guarantees of any kind...only there are no guarantees. I've spent a lot of time on hip replacement forums and could tell stories that are hard to believe. That people go thru, re-dos, infections, oh infections are big.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:17 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,551,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Is it a given, to have a knee replacement? What would one need to do to avoid it?

I am not sure there is anything one can do when cartilage starts to go. IMHO, it is something in our environment that has changed, or why is this so epidemic now? Why do all my sisters have it; but none of our parents/grandparents? Doesn't make sense.

I'm not on any meds, never was. No pain but awful weakness. I'm very grateful for the hip replacement but ambivalent about the knee replacements---no improvement there. But, no cartilage---what can you do? Shoulders are painful too, but no good medical help there.

OTOH, this all takes my mind off losing my looks, LOL.

OP, if you keep hanging around C-D, you too can "look 20 years younger than your age", like all posters here, LOL. AND, with no plastic surgery!

Old 09-10-2017, 02:22 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,551,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post

Thanks, I appreciate it, Soulsurv. Been this route, paleo, Naturopath. I'm glad it worked for you, but did zilch for me. I'm not on any meds. That's terrific you got the use of your hands back! Congrats.

I was all-organic for many years, at great expense. No diff. Down here, just winging it.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:04 PM

6,345 posts, read 5,081,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm sure there are enough stories like this one. How many people do WE really talk to in this world who do these replacements. I'm living with 3 major complications from hip replacement, so the fear to "replace" again is big in my mind.

Are there alternatives? Is it a given, NO.

1. Don't do them. Use knee supports, joint supps and a walker if necessary. Do one's best to "accept" what what has become, and change lifestyle accordingly. I sure have.

2. PRP/Stem Cells if one can afford this work, it CAN SAVE one from replacements. No guarantee but they can work and even if 10-30% help that is good.

My whole parents generation did NOT do replacements and they all lived and limped into long lives. Many still limp and deal with pain with replacements.

No guarantees of any kind...only there are no guarantees. I've spent a lot of time on hip replacement forums and could tell stories that are hard to believe. That people go thru, re-dos, infections, oh infections are big.
watching your weight could help? I know the person I mentioned is quite a bit over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or