U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2017, 03:06 PM

5,431 posts, read 3,459,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post

Is it a given, to have a knee replacement? What would one need to do to avoid it?
Exercise and strengthen your thigh muscles (quadriceps). A recent Australian study showed that patients that had thicker quadriceps muscles developed less pain and cartilage damage with less risk of joint replacement surgery compared to those with smaller quadriceps muscles over four years. Swimming, cycling, and Pilates are among the best non-traumatic knee-strengthening exercises to improve blood flow and build muscle.

Ten Ways to Avoid a Knee Replacement in Your Future
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...in-your-future

Avoiding knee or hip surgery
https://www.health.harvard.edu/pain/...or-hip-surgery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 03:10 PM

23,803 posts, read 8,314,964 times
PRP/Stem Cells thicken tighten up ligaments around the joints. I've had some of the very early prolo work and they can work if one really fears the surgery, as I do NOW for sure.

Keeping lower wt is important.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:15 PM

15,253 posts, read 8,560,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
If no one told a person that 'hot flashes' can be part of menopause or if no one told a person that even such a thing existed, one would just think of oneself as maybe feeling too warm/hot at times or sweating easily at times.

If so-called 'hot flashes' were never told to the population and weren't trumped up beyond belief, unbelievably over-dramatized, exaggerated as a cliche, and erroneously over-emphasized, they wouldn't even be mentioned. A good number of people sweat quite a bit - both men and women -.... having nothing to do with menopause.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm sure there are enough stories like this one. How many people do WE really talk to in this world who do these replacements. I'm living with 3 major complications from hip replacement, so the fear to "replace" again is big in my mind.

Are there alternatives? Is it a given, NO.

1. Don't do them. Use knee supports, joint supps and a walker if necessary. Do one's best to "accept" what what has become, and change lifestyle accordingly. I sure have.

2. PRP/Stem Cells if one can afford this work, it CAN SAVE one from replacements. No guarantee but they can work and even if 10-30% help that is good.

My whole parents generation did NOT do replacements and they all lived and limped into long lives. Many still limp and deal with pain with replacements.

No guarantees of any kind...only there are no guarantees. I've spent a lot of time on hip replacement forums and could tell stories that are hard to believe. That people go thru, re-dos, infections, oh infections are big.
Why is a 10-30% success rate acceptable for unproven alternative health "remedies" but if a traditional treatment or drug doesn't work for 100% it is due to evil doctors or corrupt big Pharma?

Old 09-10-2017, 03:56 PM

4,447 posts, read 2,624,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Looks are certainly an issue, but what I don't hear anyone discussing is loss of physical ability. Maybe I'm the only one this bothers. Talk about a loss of quality of life, when you can no longer do the activities you loved, and that identified you.

OA runs in my family, and after 3 joint replacements, I am very restricted in what I can do. All my former hobbies are gone.

I am NOT adjusting well to that. At all. 62 seems too early for this kind of thing; after a lifetime of physical jobs and activities....
Oh, I'm already, and have for years, using a cane. I wear an knee brace and would wear a back brace more if it would stay in place.

I've had handicapped hangtag for about 10 years, and the plates for about 8.

I can forecast rain and wet snow by my bones.

I have arthritis in every bone and joint in my body.

I take a variety of prescriptions, some help is provided.

I can't do many of the things I used to some I can do without, though, lol.

But, again. Like my Gray beard and graying temples, I can't let it get me down.

Aging is going to happen whether you like it or not.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:19 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,584,621 times
I never knew I was good looking until I wasn't
Wrinkles you know
But I earned every one

Old 09-10-2017, 04:36 PM

3,471 posts, read 1,546,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Exercise and strengthen your thigh muscles (quadriceps). A recent Australian study showed that patients that had thicker quadriceps muscles developed less pain and cartilage damage with less risk of joint replacement surgery compared to those with smaller quadriceps muscles over four years. Swimming, cycling, and Pilates are among the best non-traumatic knee-strengthening exercises to improve blood flow and build muscle.

Ten Ways to Avoid a Knee Replacement in Your Future
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...in-your-future

Avoiding knee or hip surgery
https://www.health.harvard.edu/pain/...or-hip-surgery

Nice in theory but did all that and still ended up with joint replacements. Ideal weight, too.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:38 PM

3,471 posts, read 1,546,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Oh, I'm already, and have for years, using a cane. I wear an knee brace and would wear a back brace more if it would stay in place.

I've had handicapped hangtag for about 10 years, and the plates for about 8.

I can forecast rain and wet snow by my bones.

I have arthritis in every bone and joint in my body.

I take a variety of prescriptions, some help is provided.

I can't do many of the things I used to some I can do without, though, lol.

But, again. Like my Gray beard and graying temples, I can't let it get me down.

Aging is going to happen whether you like it or not.

You have such a good attitude, Galaxi. With all you've suffered. What activities can you now do, to replace the ones you no longer can? That's my dilemma.

Luckily, I'm an avid reader, but even that gets old after awhile!

Old 09-10-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Why is a 10-30% success rate acceptable for unproven alternative health "remedies" but if a traditional treatment or drug doesn't work for 100% it is due to evil doctors or corrupt big Pharma?
10-30% can be a big improvement...vs going thru a hard surgery and long rehab and possibility of problems after knee replacement...to me that would be big. No how does one get a NEW natural knee, but a plastic and metal parts and then hard work to bend that knee. I can bend my knee very well...but it could be worse. The evil doctors who do this work are MD's all from the evil medical schools. The surgeons have to live with patients problems post surgery and it's got to get OLD for them.

HA injections don't work, cortisone is very temp if it works and even breaks down cartilage more
so what else is there but the major invasive replacements.

Even though many are told by most surgeons, it's bone on bone, IF the person can bend the knee, there is cartilage there... I bend my knee very well, but there is OA in that knee.

And the cleaning out of the knee during this last infection issue, may have even caused more OA to set in.

And there are reviews I've read that this work does "work"...maybe not for everyone and many don't go on due to costs. And I did get 3 yrs relief on my shoulder years ago with the very early prolo work.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-10-2017 at 05:11 PM..

Old 09-10-2017, 06:13 PM

9,006 posts, read 2,786,613 times
The older I get, the more I don't mind getting older, lol. I had a real problem thinking about it when I was younger like in my 40s or 50s, but now that I'm in my 60s, I'm good with it. I feel more comfortable with who I am, now more than any time in my life.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Is it a given, to have a knee replacement? What would one need to do to avoid it?
Again, it is not a given. For as "unproven" there are a lot of MD's across the U.S. and other countries who do the PRP/Stem Cells. If one can afford this work and not excited about a knee replacement surgery here is a "partial" list of providers. I know a few in CA who are not on the list, so I say partial.

Find Regenerative Medicine Doctors - GetProlo.com

If it works for a person, it can save a lot of aging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or