U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-08-2017, 06:44 AM
 
3,604 posts, read 1,645,249 times
Reputation: 13548

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Well, aren't YOU lucky! This is exactly what I was writing about. Women are so mean to each other. No supporting; just judging.
Just realize your experience is not the normal and for some of us it is a different journey, including suffering with health issues.
Well menopause is a whole other subject and different for everyone. I can't say it was hell but it was close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2017, 06:50 AM
 
35 posts, read 23,603 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Well, aren't YOU lucky! This is exactly what I was writing about. Women are so mean to each other. No supporting; just judging.
Just realize your experience is not the normal and for some of us it is a different journey, including suffering with health issues.

I don't think she was being mean at all. Not even close. But just sharing her own personal experience, which by the way sounded just like mine, after years of expecting it to be something else. It varies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 07:04 AM
 
1,128 posts, read 790,354 times
Reputation: 2125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Well menopause is a whole other subject and different for everyone. I can't say it was hell but it was close.
I brought it up because for women it is a very big part of our "getting older". While we are in the middle of it, I think it is most certainly tied to how we deal with our feelings about aging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 07:27 AM
 
3,604 posts, read 1,645,249 times
Reputation: 13548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
I brought it up because for women it is a very big part of our "getting older". While we are in the middle of it, I think it is most certainly tied to how we deal with our feelings about aging.
I got the impression the op was focused on the vanity aspect of aging, however I don't disagree. Our self esteem can take a hit when we are facing sudden body changes, hot flashes, etc. my metabolism took a holiday and never came back,curses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 07:53 AM
 
11,137 posts, read 8,548,081 times
Reputation: 28133
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
It was no "hell" at all. I didn't even notice it. It was nothing. And no problems whatsoever.
Yep, getting older doesn't bother me in the least. We've been getting older every single day of our lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 07:53 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in America
12,304 posts, read 10,774,658 times
Reputation: 20540
Get over getting older or aging? I don't have anything to get over. I'm perfectly fine with aging. I'm not vain like the OP though so that probably has a lot to do with it. Aging is what is. It's simply a fact of life that no one can overcome. Sure beats dying at 40!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,676 posts, read 3,248,729 times
Reputation: 11982
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The alternative to getting older is death, which is more appealing to you?

I had a similar thought. When you feel bad about getting older, take a walk in a cemetery.

I am one of the lucky ones..... at 75 I'm still in decent health. I do have a few problems that are being treated by excellent doctor.

I think instead of focusing on number of years and/or wrinkles/lines in our faces, think about staying healthy, helping others, enjoying your life and be grateful you still have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
2,747 posts, read 1,706,760 times
Reputation: 8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeana View Post
I am still young certainly, but have to admit I worry about getting older. Call me vain but while I know I am no super model by any means, it is something I think about.
If your main worry about getting older is that you won't be as physically attractive as you are now, you have every reason to be concerned. After a certain age physical looks go downhill, and trying to retain them past a certain point leads to looking artificial, even ridiculous. Speaking from personal experience, even as a big girl I used to take some pride in my shape, but after menopause hit, at this point my figure brings to mind a Teletubbie more than an hourglass.

There is literally nothing you can do about this, so my advice is to make sure that starting now, you have good relationships with family and friends, things you love to do, causes you support that matter to you, and a spiritual life that sustains you, and enjoy every day the best you can.

If like some attractive women you rely on your looks to get by, now is the time to stop doing that and start emulating that person we all know who doesn't have the looks of a model, but whom everyone loves and thinks is wonderful because they are kind and take a real interest in the world and have meaningful relationships with the people around them. I would hate to imagine what it's like being one of those women with caked-on makeup who at 80 are still batting their eyes at every man who passes by, desperate for the superficial attention they used to get but with not one idea about how to get people to actually like or be interested in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 08:33 AM
 
Location: South Florida
195 posts, read 106,409 times
Reputation: 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeana View Post
I am still young certainly, but have to admit I worry about getting older. Call me vain but while I know I am no super model by any means, it is something I think about.
The nice thing about getting older is that you (hopefully) gain wisdom. I was very attractive when I was younger, but not anymore. I have to say that it doesn't really bother me. Priorities shift. The things you think about when you are young are not the things you will be thinking about when you get older. Take note. You say you worry about getting older. You can worry all you want but it is not going to stop you from getting older. Learn to accept life as it happens and save the worrying for things you can do something about! You will have fewer wrinkles when you get here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 08:36 AM
 
Location: South Florida
195 posts, read 106,409 times
Reputation: 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
It was no "hell" at all. I didn't even notice it. It was nothing. And no problems whatsoever.
Same here. When people ask how old I was when I hit menopause I have to say "I don't know" because, aside from weight gain which had been going on for years, I had no symptoms.

Please, Sharpy, don't bite my head off for saying this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top