U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2017, 10:30 PM

8,232 posts, read 2,432,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Question for women, how did you get over getting older?
I'm guessing they considered the alternative. Are you trolling?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 10:54 PM

1,542 posts, read 2,383,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh I got rid of all my gold jewelry and now only wear hoops and when I was down so long with knee issue thought my holes closed but just the other day I tried to put in my hoops and they worked...so I'm wearing these 30 yrs old gold small hoops -- I don't like a lot of jewelry, wear no rings at all anymore. A real casual gal.
I love my rings I have both white and yellow gold and still wearing my wedding set. Even switch silver rings around. And I think I have about a dozen silver bangles. Tiny drop earrings and a necklace to match them. The some other tiny things on my other chains so I guess I wear a lot of jewelry all the time never take it off. Well I did take my rings off when I was building fence. They get caught in things.

I had a pair of gold hoops I wore for years Loved them then finally broke . I also have double pierced ears. Parents insisted a doctor do them once they finally said I could do it. This piercing never healed up got infected as they predicted all the horrors of it. So one night after they were asleep I pierced my own ears with a big sewing needle. Never had a lick of trouble with them healing that time. Over the years I thought the holes from the first piercing would have closed up but they never did. They did finally heal once I was not wearing earrings in them. Now I can wear two pair but I do not bother to do so.

Wearing dangling necklaces are fun to go to town in but not to work in. Most times I do not even bother to put them on any more. They look really pretty hanging on my bathroom china cabinet turned linen cabinet door nob. I enjoy them even more seeing them there than on me. LOL

Old 09-12-2017, 11:48 PM
miu

17,144 posts, read 34,638,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I wonder if women who were deemed "unattractive" even as young women have an easier time with getting older?

I mean,they would be used to not receiving attention from men.

Not everyone was beautiful in their younger years,and i think lots of people do NOT realize that.

Some people also seem to have a hard time grasping that there are women who look better now that they are older than they did in the 20's.
Wow. What an incredibly catty comment!!!

Do you really think that ALL men are only attracted to women with model looks? And what woman really enjoys a barrage of constant male attention from shallow player types?

It still makes my skin crawl to think of the time I was walking down a city street, when a complete stranger came up to me and stroked my upper arm and said "Asian women have such silky skin." I gave him a cold look and walked away quickly. I was 25 at the time, slim, long legs and with a very decent figure.

Attractive, plain or even ugly, if a woman doesn't have anything else going for her, she's not going to be able to handle getting older gracefully. And actually, I've found that happy, smiling people with a nice personality are ALWAYS very attractive to others. Even someone who is technically attractive, looks ugly when they have a sour expression on their face. Add to that, an ugly personality and/or voice, and they will be even more unappealing to others.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Your clothing looks just fine for a stay at home person. I stay home and the last thing I think about is changing my clothing styles. I have spent the last 10 yrs getting rid of a lifetime of clothes accumulation. I have my standards now and I feel good in them. No one to impress or even try to impress....I'm 79...wish I had the photo shop stuff but I don't.

I was letting my hair grown some in the last few months as I went thru a knee infection mess and was down a lot of months, but just got it cut again, and I look so much younger with the shorter hair again. Cute and wispy.
I do not have photo shop either. I use Irfanview. A small free program. I am on a laptop. Not sure if there is an app for phone. Or if you are using a phone. Or tablet. My tablet is windows 10 but still works a little different than my computer windows 10 does. Just google the machine or phone you have and look for Irfanview. It is really simple to use. If not I could not do it either.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:11 AM

5,215 posts, read 2,083,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
It's hard on women because unfortunately so much of a woman's value is equated with her physical attractiveness. The best you can do is try to undo this brainwashing and realize that you are so much more than what you look like, and that we have all been handed a bill of goods in that department.
Yep, as I went on about a while back, here...

Men don't have this projected upon them and it sets the tone for both men and women for life, with boys and girls having now become conditioned to be more aware of, early on. You would think by this time (2017), we would be able to do this differently, but nobody tries to stop it, actually having gotten worse.

A large percentage of advertisements are devoted to women's appearance - beauty, bodies, weight, youthfulness, sexuality. It has only been more recently to show products for men's weight loss, but mostly, is all about females and focusing on a certain age. Most TV ads never depict much regarding older people except to do with retirement, healthcare, elderly needs. When you have been around as long as I have, you observe a lot.

If one is used to having had attention all their lives without really thinking about it, when it suddenly changes, it feels very strange. I am a friendly, outgoing person and people are receptive, not seeking to attract a man these days, but still look presentable when going out in public. When I am with my good friend, an ex from long ago, others assume we are a couple.

It just feels odd, since looking through our eyes, we can feel we are the same person we always were, yet may be referred to as "that old lady over there". I have always been receptive to or spoken to those of all ages, but it's too bad how older people can be considered "nobodies" at some point. One day, everyone will find out how it feels - unless something changes with this.

It appears ones here who feel the most relaxed or comfortable with this in a sense, are those having had a partner for years.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 09-13-2017 at 03:52 AM..

Old 09-13-2017, 04:23 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,004,262 times
What's to get over???

There's only one alternative to getting older, and there's no getting over that alternative, LOL!

Old 09-13-2017, 08:38 AM

364 posts, read 125,922 times
I have to agree with jerseygal who wrote, "I wonder if women who were deemed "unattractive" even as young women have an easier time with getting older? I mean, they would be used to not receiving attention from men. Not everyone was beautiful in their younger years,and i think lots of people do NOT realize that. Some people also seem to have a hard time grasping that there are women who look better now that they are older than they did in the 20's. the woman The most important thing to maintain a youthful appearance."

I was not particularly "hot" or attractive in my youth. I was prone to acne and frizzy hair and occasionally had a bit of chubbiness. I was tomboyish and had no major attractive features. Consequently men didn't seem to be attracted to me. I never got much attention from them.

Now, I think I'm feeling more positive about myself because (please pardon my smugness) I look much better than the average woman my age. I'm very active and have turned out to be a slim, buff, toned older woman. Most women in my age group are toting extra pounds with big bellies, untoned arms, double chins, fat thighs and butts, and the whole mess. Sorry but that's what I see. I also learned how to fix my hair to look its best. I have beautiful skin because of the dermatology treatments I got for my acne when I was young. I don't wear matronly outfits like some of my friends. Consequently, I probably look 10-15 years younger than I am.

That said, it doesn't matter how I look, I still must deal with the aging issue like anyone else. For me it's not about looks. It's about the passing of time and the regrets that I have about certain things that didn't happen for me and will NEVER happen. The fact is that we are now on the downward slope of life and health issues can start at any time now. Most cancers start appearing in the decade of 60 and upwards. Jobs enjoyment is long gone and most companies do not want to hire someone "older". These are some issues that I'm grappling with.

Looks is the least of my issue.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:20 AM

4,669 posts, read 3,245,044 times
I have been in a slump for quite some time, coming to terms with things that were difficult for me, adjusting to the idea that some things were just never going to change. During that time the last thing I was worried about was how attractive to men I was. Too many more important things to think/worry about.

During this time, I found food to be "helpful" in getting through those times. I had never been really thin (except for a time after gynecological surgery followed by a nasty bout of the Hong Kong flu). As I indulged in food, I kept saying "yes I'm gaining some weight but I can stop (haha) at any time". Famous last words. So last weekend I went to a picnic and pictures were taken. And someone posted those pics to Facebook. I almost did not recognize myself. Combine it with an unattractive hair style, slouching in my chair, what a nightmare. Clearly, I had a wake up call that I need to do something about.

I know it won't be easy but thankfully it is important to me (and my health) to get into better shape.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I have been in a slump for quite some time, coming to terms with things that were difficult for me, adjusting to the idea that some things were just never going to change. During that time the last thing I was worried about was how attractive to men I was. Too many more important things to think/worry about.

During this time, I found food to be "helpful" in getting through those times. I had never been really thin (except for a time after gynecological surgery followed by a nasty bout of the Hong Kong flu). As I indulged in food, I kept saying "yes I'm gaining some weight but I can stop (haha) at any time". Famous last words. So last weekend I went to a picnic and pictures were taken. And someone posted those pics to Facebook. I almost did not recognize myself. Combine it with an unattractive hair style, slouching in my chair, what a nightmare. Clearly, I had a wake up call that I need to do something about.

I know it won't be easy but thankfully it is important to me (and my health) to get into better shape.
OMG I had EXACTLY the same picnic photo experience. I was horrified at what had happened to me. Not all from overeating. I did have a health issue. I would say like you much of it was not enough sleep and actually starving myself to try to lose weight only made me gain more. For me it was also the wake up call I needed and 4 years later I am not her any more Thank God. I feel so much better and the weight loss makes it so much easier to get around.

A funny on myself. The first 16 pounds I lost I equated it to a bag of cat food. When the thought popped into my head I blurted out to hubby. I just lost a bag of cat food off my Butt. We laughed so hard. As the two years went by it was then 32 pounds which is a bag of dog food. Then 40 pounds which is the weight of a big box of kitty litter which I can lift but it is difficult. And to think my body was carrying that around. Now I have lost 90 pounds and I am done losing but my way of eating has to continue through the rest of my life. I am actually having a problem with eating enough I am so rarely hungry. It is a tough way to go . I feel for me this way of eating, not calling it diet because I refuse to be on a diet the rest of my life, was the least painful I have ever done. Just uber low carbs under 5 a day unless they come from eggs and cheese. Only thing is if you cheat with even one bite of potato salad you are screwed for weight loss for two to three weeks and it will instantly cause you cravings.

You can do this if you really would like to. I averaged about a 5 pound loss a month so it was slow . I logged my foods and weight and some photos. So looking back was an incentive.OH and I did not do any formal exercise. I am naturally a hard worker around the house and yard But no lifting or walking or running going to the gym.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:33 AM

Bayarea 4 click here on my post to see the necklaces hanging on the knobs. Was not a direct on shot but it gives you the idea.
Exterior windows facing another house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or