U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 05:55 AM

1,128 posts, read 789,028 times

Advertisements

Oh, my goodness, ladies... how did this turn in to a "post your height and weight" thread?? NOBODY cares, and neither should you! Why are women so focused on it? Life is too short! If you need to get in better shape, hop to it, but enough already with numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 07:14 AM

7,795 posts, read 4,383,926 times
The thread is "how did you get over getting older," and the weight gain/redistribution issue obviously bothers a lot of us.

Including me! It's frustrating to watch your weight and exercise and still not achieve the look you want (not being able to lose enough, losing it in the wrong places, being unable to lose it in the right places). Apparently this is just a function of aging in women, although I still see the occasional older woman with a younger body and wonder how she achieves that...

You would think - with a new phone coming out every six months - they could come up with something that "melts" fat from target areas, which is what all of us past menopause (in spite of HRT, I can attest) need -- more than overall weight loss.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:02 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Oh, my goodness, ladies... how did this turn in to a "post your height and weight" thread?? NOBODY cares, and neither should you! Why are women so focused on it? Life is too short! If you need to get in better shape, hop to it, but enough already with numbers.
I posted mine to show that I am okay with my weight. I look great!!!

The numbers mean nothing. Well, unless you are in the military like I was and they weighed you all the time until that went out the window and went to body fat and that isn't a proven science and on and on.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:52 PM

5,207 posts, read 2,079,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
I'll tell you why. As I discussed here a while back, females having been continually projected upon to be concerned about such things for years, is the problem. There exists endless advertising to suggest women "be perfect on the outside", so whether being aware of it or not, women's self-esteem can be affected. Sure, we can tune it out and after a point, we do, but that doesn't mean the message disappears. It is a younger generation being targeted by ads now, (since after a certain age, it's as if women "don't exist" and only see ads with older women involving Medical plans, Retirement, etc.)

Think about it, how many times do advertisements depict males lamenting over how to whiten their yellowing teeth or removing dark spots on their skin, flabby arms, weight? Nope. Men might say, "We don't need to improve, we're secure within ourselves." Sure, since they have not had ads continually projecting upon them to look younger, to improve upon themselves, all their lives. (Sure, there will be an as addressing Teen Acne that includes males or the occasional ad for male baldness or for building muscle, weight loss. Otherwise, it's all about preying upon the female's self-esteem.

There are few self-improvement products marketed for men, but tons of aisles in stores with countless products for women. When men prepare to go out, they shower, maybe shave, comb their hair, brush teeth, use deodorant. Women do that and SO much more to be appealing and after aging, just to appear human. I will notice men looking like total slobs at the market for instance, when most females appear to make an effort. (They don't want to stick out like a sore thumb). I will also observe women who are not fixed up and they likely don't care, but will appear depressed. I get it.

Also, just add to my rant, do you ever notice how advertisements for either a "Low-fat" treat OR some fattening treat will depict a 20-something eating it in a sensual way? When are men shown sucking on an ice cream bar with their eyes closed? They aren't, though we know they eat treats, too (likely while moaning with their eyes closed). It's seemingly only more female sexual imagery for men.

I can't help having observed this over time. Anyway, doesn't look like it's ending anytime soon, ladies. As we know, Women's Liberation was shot down and being considered a Feminist is considered no good. I just feel for younger women still having to endure this crap.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:26 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,049,308 times
well men do get hit with all those erectile dysfunction ads - don't know how I would feel about that -

Old 09-23-2017, 09:58 PM

479 posts, read 399,299 times
Wow - I didn't think women were allowed to say they think they themselves look great - especially if they really do. Thought that was forbidden by some Law of Women - punishable by being hated and excluded by all the other women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post

Old 09-24-2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
Wow - I didn't think women were allowed to say they think they themselves look great - especially if they really do. Thought that was forbidden by some Law of Women - punishable by being hated and excluded by all the other women.
And if any do, or say they were when younger, I have seen it being questioned.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
well men do get hit with all those erectile dysfunction ads - don't know how I would feel about that -
Well they do have those. And I have noticed the women in the ads will be visually younger and more attractive, rather than make them appear as "equals", physically. It must be so the male viewer will relate positively to the ad and the experience of using the product. (I find myself analyzing things from a psychological and Sociological aspect).

Old 09-24-2017, 06:07 AM

3,604 posts, read 1,641,304 times
Quote:

The numbers mean nothing. Well, unless you are in the military like I was and they weighed you all the time until that went out the window and went to body fat and that isn't a proven science and on and on.

Exactly! Part of aging has been coming to terms with the changes and accepting what I can't change.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:15 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,844,519 times
Sex sells. Just look at the add for "Ship Sticks". There is a trim model type with a zippered top lowered to reveal a large breast size. When you pan in to see the golf bags they purposely position the camera to have those swells in view as you look to the idiot man who had himself talked into being strapped into a closed bag. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or