U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-08-2017, 02:50 PM
 
1,139 posts, read 794,372 times
Reputation: 2140

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrilbyandDixie View Post
Same here. When people ask how old I was when I hit menopause I have to say "I don't know" because, aside from weight gain which had been going on for years, I had no symptoms.

Please, Sharpy, don't bite my head off for saying this!
I Won't! LOL! I apologize because I dont think my point was made well...I wasn't talking about just the physical symptoms (which were hell for me personally), but also it was a time of reflection, taking stock...it is a time in a woman's life when you do take that long look in the mirror, realize you are aging, and better make the rest count.
I think it's actually a very liberating time in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2017, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Midvale, Idaho
1,545 posts, read 2,390,394 times
Reputation: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I've seen some amazing plastic surgery results on women between 50-70. Eye lifts, breast reductions, face lifts, laser treatments, fillers, etc. Its a favorite topic at my gym, probably because I work out with a bunch of doctors and doctors wives who are up on the latest machines and procedures. Most of these women are in pretty good shape already but age definately takes its toll. If it's something you want to fight you certainly can.
Just takes money and a high pain threshold. Obviously many people think it's worth it.
Having lost 90 pounds I know all bout what weight loss on old skin does to a person. No way would I ever consider surgery. I will just massage cream into and love my wrinkles. I am alone so it really makes me no difference. I have seen horrible messes from plastic surgeries. I call the wrinkles my battle scars. I earned every one. I know some are amazing. I am just not that into pain . Dressed I look amazing. It is all that matters to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 03:12 PM
 
Location: South Florida
195 posts, read 107,003 times
Reputation: 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
I Won't! LOL! I apologize because I dont think my point was made well...I wasn't talking about just the physical symptoms (which were hell for me personally), but also it was a time of reflection, taking stock...it is a time in a woman's life when you do take that long look in the mirror, realize you are aging, and better make the rest count.
I think it's actually a very liberating time in life.
I think you are right. Even though I looked a whole lot better pushing 40 than I do pushing 60 I have never felt calmer. I have lived through one catastrophe after another and have come out the other side. Growing older has taught me that you never know what is coming so when something bad happens you just have to deal with it. A muffin-top and wrinkles are about the last of my concerns!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Loudon, TN
5,826 posts, read 4,871,492 times
Reputation: 19600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
I Won't! LOL! I apologize because I dont think my point was made well...I wasn't talking about just the physical symptoms (which were hell for me personally), but also it was a time of reflection, taking stock...it is a time in a woman's life when you do take that long look in the mirror, realize you are aging, and better make the rest count.
I think it's actually a very liberating time in life.
Can't say I had that feeling at all. I had (have) terrible hot flashes, going on my 8th year now. But I never had any age epiphany, long look in the mirror stuff. I am what I am. At one point my milk shake brought ALL the boys to the yard but now, not so much. I guess it matters if you are trying to attract a mate, but if you already have one and are aging together it's not as important as the result of the mammogram, the latest biopsy on what you just had taken off, the state of your retirement investments and your health insurance. Of course one wants to look neat and put together, wear your hair in a way that you think flatters you, etc, but soul searching because I found a new wrinkle or my arms flap in the breeze? No time for that. Too busy having a good time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,631 posts, read 9,712,181 times
Reputation: 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post
Getting older. It beats the alternative. Doesn't bother me a bit. Bring the wrinkles and the aches and pains. I'm still enjoying life. I just have a few more Ibuprofen on hand.

LOL I could have written that exactly! I feel the same way except for I keep Bayer Back & Body handy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Sierra County
271 posts, read 117,477 times
Reputation: 371
I worried about it alot when I was younger.

Surprisingly, it doesn't bother me a bit.

There was no transition at all

no different than going from age 30-40 and in a few years, to age 50

Life is much easier now not worrying over the little things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,631 posts, read 9,712,181 times
Reputation: 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
It was no "hell" at all. I didn't even notice it. It was nothing. And no problems whatsoever.

Same here. I didn't realize how lucky I was till I saw what some women go through. Just being spared the hot flashes...of which I did have two over the years...made me thankful it wasn't worse. Both of my daughters have had to deal with that and I feel sorry for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 06:15 PM
 
5,432 posts, read 3,468,547 times
Reputation: 13714
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCountyMtnBiker View Post
I worried about it alot when I was younger.

Surprisingly, it doesn't bother me a bit.

There was no transition at all

no different than going from age 30-40 and in a few years, to age 50

Life is much easier now not worrying over the little things like that.
yes but you are still very young comparatively, especially to retirees - you're only in mid or late 40's! So no dramatic changes. One wouldn't expect you to be much concerned or affected too much!

Last edited by matisse12; 09-08-2017 at 06:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 06:22 PM
 
5,432 posts, read 3,468,547 times
Reputation: 13714
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post

Same here. I didn't realize how lucky I was till I saw what some women go through. Just being spared the hot flashes...of which I did have two over the years...made me thankful it wasn't worse. Both of my daughters have had to deal with that and I feel sorry for them.
If no one told a person that 'hot flashes' can be part of menopause or if no one told a person that even such a thing existed, one would just think of oneself as maybe feeling too warm/hot at times or sweating easily at times.

If so-called 'hot flashes' were never told to the population and weren't trumped up beyond belief, unbelievably over-dramatized, exaggerated as a cliche, and erroneously over-emphasized, they wouldn't even be mentioned. A good number of people sweat quite a bit - both men and women -.... having nothing to do with menopause.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-08-2017 at 06:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 06:27 PM
 
1,139 posts, read 794,372 times
Reputation: 2140
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Can't say I had that feeling at all. I had (have) terrible hot flashes, going on my 8th year now. But I never had any age epiphany, long look in the mirror stuff. I am what I am. At one point my milk shake brought ALL the boys to the yard but now, not so much. I guess it matters if you are trying to attract a mate, but if you already have one and are aging together it's not as important as the result of the mammogram, the latest biopsy on what you just had taken off, the state of your retirement investments and your health insurance. Of course one wants to look neat and put together, wear your hair in a way that you think flatters you, etc, but soul searching because I found a new wrinkle or my arms flap in the breeze? No time for that. Too busy having a good time.
You are TOTALLY making this way more "deep" and time consuming that I ever meant. For heaven's sake, I am busy, TOO! I never said I had an epiphany or stand soul-searching in the mirror!
I'm busy, too! I've got a wonderful life, health, and married 34 years.
Never mind...my point it totally lost here for some reason. Bye!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top