U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2017, 07:38 PM

6,313 posts, read 5,053,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
You are VERY wrong! I went in to premature menopause at 38 and the hot flashes were pure hell and very severe. Strangers would ask me if I was ok. It was obvious to anyone around me when I had one.
Feeling a little warm, you say?? Hahaha! I turned bright red, sweat dripping down my neck. It was miserable.
But nice for you to write such a dismissive, judgemental post.
Saw a lady at a checkout line going through the same thing. The sweat was jus running off of her. Knew it was a hot flash. I only experienced two or three and nothing like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 07:55 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,448,244 times
I get really hot in humid or just hot/warm weather - (and in hot rooms)

bucket loads of sweat surge from my hairline, my head, my forehead, face, torso (back & front), neck........

sweat covering every inch of skin all over head, face, neck, back, front of torso with buckets loads of sweat, pouring all over me and from me.

My clothes become soaked. Sweat streaming heavily all over.

It's just a fact of life, my body doesn't take easily to humid/hot/warm weather, I don't dwell on it nor do I consider it particularly significant in the scheme of a life.

It happens in the winter too, upon exertion or in hot rooms.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-08-2017 at 08:28 PM..

Old 09-08-2017, 07:59 PM

5,214 posts, read 2,081,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES67 View Post
Not saying the OP is not 31, but one way to get over in getting older is to get online and pretend to be 31.
I just began this thread and wondered why young women are posting in the Retirement section? Maybe the topic just caught the eye of all all ages and being that seemingly women these days, no matter how young, are projected upon more and more as being "too old".

Old 09-08-2017, 08:03 PM

43,556 posts, read 52,667,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeana View Post
I am still young certainly, but have to admit I worry about getting older. Call me vain but while I know I am no super model by any means, it is something I think about.
?????

I'm 41. This is waaaaay better than my 20s.

I'm wiser, more established, wealthier, more powerful, more independent, and I do pretty much whatever I want whenever I want.

But then again, I banked on my education and not my looks (which are still decent).

Old 09-08-2017, 09:36 PM

23,747 posts, read 8,251,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
?????

I'm 41. This is waaaaay better than my 20s.

I'm wiser, more established, wealthier, more powerful, more independent, and I do pretty much whatever I want whenever I want.

But then again, I banked on my education and not my looks (which are still decent).
Oh 41, that was my prime time. My 40's. How did I get to 79????

Old 09-08-2017, 09:39 PM

5,214 posts, read 2,081,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I do worry about the young girls today.

It is Princess This or that - mani/pedi parties, makeup at a young age blah blah blah

What are we creating!!
Again, as I mentioned earlier, it is the stupid conditioning placed upon women, being established years ago. Now it appears to have gotten worse, with even more of a focus upon being young and attractive to men. I recall having read in the dating threads, how women are treated nowadays as if they are too old, even in their 30's, the men stating they wanted those in their 20's. No wonder they may feel bad.

When I was in my 30's, I was still in the midst of early adulthood, busy with work, dating, boyfriends and friendships. (When I was almost 39, a coworker in his 20's had been regularly flirting with me, until he found out my age, which surprised him). But that was then. It didn't hit me until much later when I began to feel "invisible", which I was not used to.

This is something beyond our control, since it is a societal pressure that has somehow been allowed to continue, seemingly appearing to be more about "pleasing men and their needs", than it being equal or the other way around. Unfortunately, women are treated as sex objects and men may still seek young women, at a much older age. Everything has become more sexualized and superficial than ever, even with toddlers in beauty pageants. "What are we creating" is right, but who is really to blame for all of this and how can it end? Is there ever an attempt to teach young people to value a girl's inner traits, instead of making girls into Barbie Dolls?

Old 09-08-2017, 10:08 PM

79 posts, read 53,757 times
I don’t mind my aging body so much, although sometimes I look in the mirror and think Holy cow what happened! And then I remember I’m 62. I could do without the various aches and pains and health worries, but I find that can be somewhat manageable by eating right and exercise – I care more about feeling good than looking good.

I do fight the visible signs of aging to some extent, but it’s mostly a matter of survival. I don’t like feeling invisible and irrelevant at work. I don’t like being talked through and walked through as though I were a ghost. It never happened when I was younger and still attractive.

So now I dye my hair (though I don’t bother with makeup anymore), and try to be reasonably well groomed, and dress to be stylishly contemporary yet age appropriate. It’s ***ing exhausting, because there are things I’d rather do with my limited time, energy, and money. But I’ll do it for a few more years.

The few older women left in my workplace do the same – not a gray hair in sight, and some of them do take it a little too far and come off as a little desperate – but maybe I do too. There can be real financial consequences for failing to be young and appealing, at least in the corporate world. I’ve been laid off more than once, but only once I turned 50, and it’s been a rough decade. I don’t think it’s fair to judge women who go that route as “vain” – maybe they’re just trying to survive using what they have or what worked when they were younger.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:28 PM

102 posts, read 45,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
I just began this thread and wondered why young women are posting in the Retirement section? Maybe the topic just caught the eye of all all ages and being that seemingly women these days, no matter how young, are projected upon more and more as being "too old".
The media is basically responsible, whether its television, magazines, the internet, youth has always been placed on a pedestal. And its basically affecting the psyche of older younger women.

I was an acquaintance to a lady in her late forties who dressed like someone in her twenties. She even had the Shirley Temple routine down.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:12 PM

218 posts, read 120,887 times
Just wanted to post that I hardly view aging as an issue at all. I am 34 and am dating a woman that just turned 48 and think she is very physically attractive. Yes, you can tell she's "older" but I find it actually very attractive. She exercises regularly, has always been into fitness and such and looks great. I don't need some super skinny very young looking woman, and some extra weight isn't an issue at all either. Believe me, there are plenty of much younger women that look really bad. Recently, she had some boudoir photos done and she looks amazing!

Beyond that, of course, is her personality, how fun she is to do things with etc. recently we had a little road trip and it was very fun and exciting. There are some definite pluses to being with an older woman for sure!

Old 09-08-2017, 11:41 PM

3,931 posts, read 4,703,013 times
Priorities have to change, mental adjustments...which reminds me, my mind is very precious to me! I read and take an interest in lots of things. It helps keep my mind more focused and I enjoy life more than I would otherwise. As for appearance, I have had to mostly accept changes in that. I never was that much into doing a lot of makeup, expensive clothes and such, but I'll have to admit that what I see in the mirror isn't always so easy to accept some days. There are minor health problems to deal with and I stay home quite a bit now. I don't think it's a matter of "getting over" anything, more like accepting the reality of your age and physical changes. I don't have the physical stamina I had when I was younger, so I get tired much more easily. I don't really think in terms of living to be 100 years old. Wouldn't want to, actually. There are a lot of things to think about...wills, what you do and don't want done to keep you alive whenever your health starts seriously declining, long-term care, etc. I need to work on that. My mother died at 68 and my older sister was about my age when she died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or