Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 10:09 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times

Advertisements

Attachment 190478
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 12:58 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
I haven't gotten thru all 29 pages but I'll say it -- hell yeah, I care about my looks -- 30/40's I looked good but at 50, noticed the turkey waddle under the chin, and the start of jowls. Surgeon also recommended top/bottom eyelid lift. Was VERY subtle, took YEARS off, and has held up pretty well til current age of late 60's.

Now the turkey waddle is back a little, and I've lost volume in my face so my cheeks have sunken. May be considering another face lift and some fillers just to carry me into my late 80's, when I truly won't care anymore. My 73-yo. friend just had hers done and no would ever know -- HOWEVER, they say to her, "You look great -- did you lose weight?" It's that subtle.

The other thing that sucks with aging is the way your figure shifts, even though you've tried to remain the same weight -- after menopause, I have added weight on my stomach (my stomach was always flat!!!) and hips (my hips now look square), and my stomach looks bigger than my butt. I don't know whether I would be up for getting that all taken care of, since you're talking big procedure, big money.

I'm not looking to look freaky like Joan Rivers or anybody like that, just a refreshed version of myelf and getting my figure out of that matronly look. I don't see one thing wrong with it, as long as it's with a qualified doctor and you can afford it.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:10 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I haven't gotten thru all 29 pages but I'll say it -- hell yeah, I care about my looks -- 30/40's I looked good but at 50, noticed the turkey waddle under the chin, and the start of jowls. Surgeon also recommended top/bottom eyelid lift. Was VERY subtle, took YEARS off, and has held up pretty well til current age of late 60's.

Now the turkey waddle is back a little, and I've lost volume in my face so my cheeks have sunken. May be considering another face lift and some fillers just to carry me into my late 80's, when I truly won't care anymore. My 73-yo. friend just had hers done and no would ever know -- HOWEVER, they say to her, "You look great -- did you lose weight?" It's that subtle.

The other thing that sucks with aging is the way your figure shifts, even though you've tried to remain the same weight -- after menopause, I have added weight on my stomach (my stomach was always flat!!!) and hips (my hips now look square), and my stomach looks bigger than my butt. I don't know whether I would be up for getting that all taken care of, since you're talking big procedure, big money.

I'm not looking to look freaky like Joan Rivers or anybody like that, just a refreshed version of myelf and getting my figure out of that matronly look. I don't see one thing wrong with it, as long as it's with a qualified doctor and you can afford it.

Hey, whatever makes YOU feel good. I'm glad I don't feel a need to do it, but I certainly don't feel others are wrong to do whatever makes them feel happy. We work with or around what we can accept or not accept, what we can change, and what we cannot change.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:19 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post

Exercising those parts of the body that are looking square will help.

When I gain weight, my hips start to look like a big box! I walk/run, go to exercise class and poof - all better. And its not even that much weight that has to come off.

Just moving that part of the body - lower part - that makes a difference - for me anyway.

The body does change as you age even if your weight stays the same - so that is why I wonder about people that say they still wear clothes that are 20 or more years old. Unless everything stayed in the same place, it won't look the same.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post

When I gain weight, my hips start to look like a big box! I walk/run, go to exercise class and poof - all better. And its not even that much weight that has to come off.

ROFLOL! Clemecia, I swim laps three or four times a week, walk briskly every night and eat healthy and NOWT. Of course the side effects of the meds don't help, but even before my current med my metabolism took a holiday and waved ADIOS spugs, you're on yer own.

I used to be a slip of girl all my life, and then after 50 became a ship of a girl. All I know is that I want to live a full happy life and not wallow in self hatred over things I just can't control. I do my best, I dress sharp, try to keep healthy, and I keep my grooming up to date (hair and makeup).

Old 09-22-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
ROFLOL! Clemecia, I swim laps three or four times a week, walk briskly every night and eat healthy and NOWT. Of course the side effects of the meds don't help, but even before my current med my metabolism took a holiday and waved ADIOS spugs, you're on yer own.

I used to be a slip of girl all my life, and then after 50 became a ship of a girl. All I know is that I want to live a full happy life and not wallow in self hatred over things I just can't control. I do my best, I dress sharp, try to keep healthy, and I keep my grooming up to date (hair and makeup).
Maybe try doing squats? Go to a gym and use leg weights. Get a trainer.

I take a meds for under active thyroid so have to keep exercising to not balloon up.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Maybe try doing squats? Go to a gym and use leg weights. Get a trainer.

I take a meds for under active thyroid so have to keep exercising to not balloon up.

I have worked with a nutritonist AND have used a personal trainer for a considerable length of time. I agree about squats being good, although I have to take those very slow and gentle, but those are not going to make me lose weight. My bod just wants to be what it wants to be, however if I wasn't as active and ate junk I would be really HUGE. THis is why I get frustrated when people say stop eating or just do a few exercises. A couple of years ago I was biking an hour a day and the same result NOWT.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I have worked with a nutritonist AND have used a personal trainer for a considerable length of time. I agree about squats being good, although I have to take those very slow and gentle, but those are not going to make me lose weight. My bod just wants to be what it wants to be, however if I wasn't as active and ate junk I would be really HUGE. THis is why I get frustrated when people say stop eating or just do a few exercises. A couple of years ago I was biking an hour a day and the same result NOWT.
I'm a bit under 5'2" and just weighed at exercise class - 154 - so according to charts - I am overweight - but I don't feel like I am or look it either (maybe fooling myself lol). I wear a size 10 in shorts and pants. I think about getting down to maybe 140, but i'm okay with 150.

I remember when I hit 117 many years ago and I thought I was going to just die!! Now - I would think I was a skeleton.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:46 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:

Just moving that part of the body - lower part - that makes a difference - for me anyway.

The body does change as you age even if your weight stays the same - so that is why I wonder about people that say they still wear clothes that are 20 or more years old. Unless everything stayed in the same place, it won't look the same.
I've always been thin and even now I'm not overweight, though I'm heavier than I would like, but I really can't even lose more than 5 lbs. or I start looking gaunt. You know how you lose the weight in all the places you don't want to? And I do pretty aerobic exercise a couple days a week. I'm not seeing how exercise can remove the fat puffs between my waist and hips that are causing the square shape. It's not like there's a muscle there that can be toned up either. I also have fat in my lower belly too, and my stomach was always flat til about age 60.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:54 AM

21,531 posts, read 8,716,437 times
My hips were square even when I weighed 100 lbs. That's just the way I'm built. And I never had a flat stomach, not ever. I exercise regularly, eat well and am healthy for my age (68), so I'm not going to stress over a little padding here and there. And sorry, I'm not doing squats. Those are hard on your knees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement