Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2017, 06:30 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
If no one told a person that 'hot flashes' can be part of menopause or if no one told a person that even such a thing existed, one would just think of oneself as maybe feeling too warm at times or sweating easily at times.

If so-called 'hot flashes' were never told to the population and weren't trumped up beyond belief, unbelievably over-dramatized, exaggerated as a cliche, and erroneously over-emphasized, they wouldn't even be mentioned. A good number of people sweat a lot - both men and women -.... having nothing to do with menopause.
You are VERY wrong! I went in to premature menopause at 38 and the hot flashes were pure hell and very severe. Strangers would ask me if I was ok. It was obvious to anyone around me when I had one.
Feeling a little warm, you say?? Hahaha! I turned bright red, sweat dripping down my neck. It was miserable.
But nice for you to write such a dismissive, judgemental post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 06:34 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
If no one told a person that 'hot flashes' can be part of menopause or if no one told a person that even such a thing existed, one would just think of oneself as maybe feeling too warm at times or sweating easily at times.

If so-called 'hot flashes' were never told to the population and weren't trumped up beyond belief, unbelievably over-dramatized, exaggerated as a cliche, and erroneously over-emphasized, they wouldn't even be mentioned. A good number of people sweat a lot - both men and women -.... having nothing to do with menopause.

Probably true but I don't know what else I'd call it. Talk about come on suddenly! lol First time I was in a restaurant helping celebrate a birthday. "Suddenly" I felt sick to my stomach, hot as sin and sweating big time. It was actually so bad I went out to my car, unbuttoned my shirt and turned the AC on me! lol It lasted maybe five very long minutes. A couple of years later I had another one, at home, same thing and then no more. There's a big difference between "sweating a lot" and what we call a "hot flash" though.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:35 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Quote:
It was no "hell" at all. I didn't even notice it. It was nothing. And no problems whatsoever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Well, aren't you lucky! This is exactly what I was writing about. Women are so mean to each other. No supporting; just judging.
Just realize your experience is not the normal and for some of us it is a different journey, including suffering with health issues.
I had an easy Menopausal transition too, not sure why, but some do, some do not. Might have been related to taking Vitamins for years. However, I wouldn't brag or treat it as if everyone should be taking it lightly, being empathetic to others' experiences.

Other aspects bug me though, struggling with the self-acceptance of aging.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:39 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post

Probably true but I don't know what else I'd call it. Talk about come on suddenly! lol First time I was in a restaurant helping celebrate a birthday. "Suddenly" I felt sick to my stomach, hot as sin and sweating big time. It was actually so bad I went out to my car, unbuttoned my shirt and turned the AC on me! lol It lasted maybe five very long minutes. A couple of years later I had another one, at home, same thing and then no more. There's a big difference between "sweating a lot" and what we call a "hot flash" though.
Sorry, but that sounds quite insignificant, in the scheme of a life. 2 times! And those same symptoms can be caused by a multitude of prescription drugs, even as common as blood pressure medication to lower blood pressure.

Why would these 2 incidences be significant to you? Sounds like a badge of honor to join the cadre.

Anyone who takes various medications can have warm/hot spells with an ill and sweaty happening, even blood pressure medications. (I'm not saying you were on medications, but the warm/hot spells, sometimes with dizziness or ill feeling and sweaty happening, are very common for woman and men)

Last edited by matisse12; 09-08-2017 at 06:58 PM..

Old 09-08-2017, 06:52 PM

171 posts, read 94,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
The OP is 31 years old.

Is it just me, or has the Retirement Forum suddenly been inundated with posters who are exactly 31 years old? What is this, the third one? Fourth? What is it about that age that causes them to not only think about aging issues, but to come to the Retirement Forum and post about them?

Go out and enjoy your youth!

Life is short. Get one.
Not saying the OP is not 31, but one way to get over in getting older is to get online and pretend to be 31.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:01 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,935 times
Quote:
Sorry, but that sounds quite insignificant, in the scheme of a life. 2 times! And those same symptoms can be caused by a multitude of prescription drugs, even as common as blood pressure medication to lower blood pressure.

Why would these 2 incidences be significant to you? Sounds like a badge of honor to join the cadre.

Anyone who takes various medications can have warm/hot spells with an ill and sweaty happening, even blood pressure medications. (I'm not saying you were on medications, but the warm/hot spells, sometimes with dizziness or ill feeling and sweaty happening, are very common for woman and men)
Are you a man? Please tell me that you are a man! Otherwise, I cannot find an excuse for you rude, judgemental posts about hot flashes!
Obviously whoever you are, you gave absolutely NO idea what having them us like so please stop! My God, people have become so mean!

Old 09-08-2017, 07:02 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
I don't know, I always used common sense and stayed out of the sun. Didn't smoke or drink to excess. Exercised regularly and ate healthy for the most part. At 36, I still get carded on a regular basis.

There are always going to be men my age and older who pass me up for twenty somethings. It doesn't bother me because I dated those guys in my twenties and know what that's all about. I wouldn't want those types now anyway as usually (not always, but in general) it is all about sex and ego boosts, objectifying less experienced naive women and holding the upper hand. Not stuff that makes for healthy, long-lasting relationships, although there are always exceptions.

I have friends my age who have started freaking out and getting Botox, surgery, etc. Most of them were sun worshippers in their youth. For me, I just use a common sense approach similar to the Koreans, all natural. Is it expensive? Yes. But can I afford it? Also, yes.

I use the 14-step system with serums, sheet masks, etc. A lot of retinoids, retinols, Vitamin C treatments, hyaluronic acid. In other words, the stuff that works. I have no lines literally whatsoever. My hair is still down to my bra strap. I have 19% body fat and run marathons. I look at some of the out of shape, drugged out, tatted-up 20 year olds out there and it's not even close. Not to mention, most of them couldn't dress well to save their lives. Nor do they have the bank account to do so. I pity the men who try to hold dinner conversation with them.

I have been there, and honestly, it sucked. Men trying to use me for sex and being a poor college student. Life is better now by any measure.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:07 PM

271 posts, read 190,997 times
Quote:
yes but you are still very young comparatively, especially to retirees - you're only in mid or late 40's! So no dramatic changes. One wouldn't expect you to be much concerned or affected too much!
I am 48 but see what you mean now

Old 09-08-2017, 07:12 PM

21 posts, read 18,120 times
I am at the jumping off point, being 48. Really enjoying my empty nest, though, am completely broke due to helping pay for my oldest daughter's college.

For my birthday, I got botox and that was fun. Has worn off now. (Just in the forehead, nothing major.)
Mostly, I watch the beauty youtube channels for "mature" women and how they help themselves look better and feel better. It is nice to hear from women my age.
Since you are concerned about aging before your time, the best thing you can do is wear broad spectrum SPF 30 especially for your face. The second best thing is to exercise.

I hope to live as long as my dear Grandmother, who was 98. My mother passed away at 83 and it seemed too young to me.
As the saying goes, "Old age ain't for sissies!"

Old 09-08-2017, 07:37 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeana View Post
I am still young certainly, but have to admit I worry about getting older. Call me vain but while I know I am no super model by any means, it is something I think about.
I know...there has been all this "conditioning" having been directed at females forever, wearing down their self-esteem. Females are depicted as being one look or type to be attained, and always youthful. I will see women of all ages pouring over products in several aisles, being marketed to them, and what is there equally for males?

I have a good friend for years I was once involved with. I have tried explaining to him how it feels for women, having been steadily projected upon to "appear perfect" all of our lives, while men are not. Men, generally, are to be accepted "as is", which is why we see a difference in their approach or outlook. They can act pretty secure, despite any physical flaws. I have thought, that if marketing had ever switched and there only existed advertisements constantly for men to improve, look younger, remain youthful and use products to do so, how we would see a change in their self-esteem, over time. They don't know since it has not been directed at them.

I have observed that in TV ads depicting couples, many times the men will look pretty ordinary, while the women ("wife, girlfriend") will be younger, slimmer, more attractive, depicted in TV shows, too. But there is a reason, if a product is to appeal to both sexes, OR only males, the advertisers need to have the male appear relate-able, to sell their product (or keep a TV audience). Also, if they depict the women as ordinarily as they may appear in real life, that would be off-putting for the male viewer.

How many times is a guy really depicted as "HOT" looking? I believe that the male actors / models who are many times truly attractive facially and physically, muscular, toned, are usually those who are Gay men, with some exceptions. So, it's all screwed up. Gorgeous men depicted "as straight" are actually unattainable for women and the women depicted "for men" are usually unattainable, period, but men don't think so. The difference is, women are more accepting and realistic about men's looks...while men can be so hung up on visual perfection, relating to sexuality.

So, there ya go.. but I feel that all of this has been a disservice to both sexes, having affected even the very young females, with boys developing an attitude about at a young age.

Sorry for the rant, but something that I became aware of long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement