Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2017, 06:46 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I haven't shaved my legs since... almost back to my college days. Just not a fan of the stubble which IMO feels worse than having a little hair there.

Anyway, my MIL has a very annoying expression... "a woman's face is her fortune" and I highly disagree with that. Had I had daughters, I would never tell them that. My mother never said it to me, and I think that the phrase really cripples most women in life AND then makes then very highly insecure about themselves once their youthful looks start to fade.
It's fine if you don't believe it for yourself, but there are ENOUGH people out there who do that you WILL be impacted, whether you know it or not. As an attractive woman, you HAVE benefited...kind of like how rich people start on 3rd base and think they should get all the credit when they round home plate.

Yes, it's a double-edged sword but I'd love to have spent at least a few years with that feeling of being attractive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 08:51 AM

1,155 posts, read 962,519 times
To everything, there is a season. Once upon a time, I was a beautiful young woman who attracted a great deal of attention, far beyond my comfort level. I tried to tone down my looks and spent years in jeans and simple tops. I wore no cosmetics at all, but there was no disguising either my face or my shape underneath my clothes. So I always felt that I was OUT THERE and completely vulnerable against my will. Men would just not let me be.

On the other hand, now that I've reached middle age, all my colors have faded. My dark hair is gone and my face is pale. I still don't use any cosmetics (can't be bothered). The dramatic figure I once had has been blurred and shifted by time and childbearing. I finally have the "cloak of invisibility" that I used to long for, and it's everything I ever hoped it would be!

Finally, to add a data point to the topic of menopause experience: My only symptom was periods spacing out a bit, then spacing out more, and then stopping entirely in my mid-fifties. That was it. I'm really grateful menopause happened that way because I had braced myself for the worst, having read different accounts of how difficult it could be. Then nothing happened except the change to the timing of my periods. I think younger women need to hear that sometimes menopause is a big non-event, just so they know that really unpleasant symptoms don't happen to everyone.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:25 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
At 52, I don't care at all about looking 35 but I do want to look like the best 52 year old out there.

I run, yoga, lift weights, drink lots of water, eat clean, dye my hair but don't do plastic surgery or botox.
This is really the best course. I'm not against botox, and in the future I would really like to get that area under my chin taken in. Hoping a little more weight reduction will help that though.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-12-2017, 10:54 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
To the women that say they do not get men's attention?

how is that possible when i know women in their 60's that have better sex lives than my 35 yr old self does?

they also turn heads often.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:03 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I can still turn heads, just not as many!!

The only head I care about is DH's.

It many ways the lost of beauty is the loss of part of one's self. BUT, we can be more then the sum of our looks. I have talents that my husband respects, my business knowledge, my home decor taste, my photography, he wants my opinions on things (work, news, etc.), my financial decisions, how I manage contractors, he depends on my research into issues that affect us, my wit, etc.

Beauty can open many doors, but it can't keep them open. You have to be more.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-12-2017, 11:04 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
I wonder if women who were deemed "unattractive" even as young women have an easier time with getting older?

I mean,they would be used to not receiving attention from men.

Not everyone was beautiful in their younger years,and i think lots of people do NOT realize that.

Some people also seem to have a hard time grasping that there are women who look better now that they are older than they did in the 20's.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:00 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,863 times
At 70, if there were a choice between looking good and having good health and energy, I'd choose the latter. Of course, there isn't such a choice. I was never a beauty, but with my skinny genes never overweight at least. My advice for younger women would be just take care of your health as much as possible. Avoiding recreational drugs and excessive drinking is always a good idea...I've seen too many women go down that path with bad consequences. Staying physically active and eating a healthy diet helps, obviously. One thing I wish now is that I had stayed out of the sun more when young. I've had 5 skin cancer lesions removed. So far, just the less serious kind, but it's an ordeal and I have a couple of minor scars from this.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:10 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I haven't shaved my legs since... almost back to my college days. Just not a fan of the stubble which IMO feels worse than having a little hair there.

Anyway, my MIL has a very annoying expression... "a woman's face is her fortune" and I highly disagree with that. Had I had daughters, I would never tell them that. My mother never said it to me, and I think that the phrase really cripples most women in life AND then makes then very highly insecure about themselves once their youthful looks start to fade.
I don't shave my legs either. I am lucky that I inherited my mom's sparse body hair - lol. Lots of thick hair on my head though.

I don't even have to shave my underarms!

Old 09-12-2017, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,261 times
Surprise? mattisee12 was simply sharing her personal experience and Sharpydove had to jump all over her and judge her, THEN proceed to call matisse12 judgemental! I think Sharpydove was harsh and judgemental, but then that makes me judgmental, oh my!!

Old 09-12-2017, 02:01 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,471 times
This younger photo came up of my on my FB feed as a memory I posted three years ago. IT is myself and adoptive mother in about 1975. I would have been about 26. She was 62. I totally miss my long red hair. Very pleased I am back down to that slim girl of my youth. Only big difference is the boobs. For some reason I have them now well after menopause and I was flat as a fritter all during my youth and young adult life. The other gray haired photo of me was taken Friday Sept 7. I was trying to get fashion advice from another online group. My wardrobe needs to be updated from the ground up. UGH I hate trying to dress properly. Especially when I am a total stay at home loaner and rarely even see people. So I feel I am doing pretty well for an old timer of 68.
Attached Thumbnails
Question for women, how did you get over getting older?-9-14-17-1975-me-ad   Question for women, how did you get over getting older?-9-8-17-purple-short-s  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement