Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2017, 02:48 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I wonder if women who were deemed "unattractive" even as young women have an easier time with getting older?

I mean,they would be used to not receiving attention from men.
Just... wow! Or you know, some women don't/never did base their self confidence on how much attention they receive from men?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 03:19 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
This younger photo came up of my on my FB feed as a memory I posted three years ago. IT is myself and adoptive mother in about 1975. I would have been about 26. She was 62. I totally miss my long red hair. Very pleased I am back down to that slim girl of my youth. Only big difference is the boobs. For some reason I have them now well after menopause and I was flat as a fritter all during my youth and young adult life. The other gray haired photo of me was taken Friday Sept 7. I was trying to get fashion advice from another online group. My wardrobe needs to be updated from the ground up. UGH I hate trying to dress properly. Especially when I am a total stay at home loaner and rarely even see people. So I feel I am doing pretty well for an old timer of 68.

Your clothing looks just fine for a stay at home person. I stay home and the last thing I think about is changing my clothing styles. I have spent the last 10 yrs getting rid of a lifetime of clothes accumulation. I have my standards now and I feel good in them. No one to impress or even try to impress....I'm 79...wish I had the photo shop stuff but I don't.

I was letting my hair grown some in the last few months as I went thru a knee infection mess and was down a lot of months, but just got it cut again, and I look so much younger with the shorter hair again. Cute and wispy.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:24 PM

1,110 posts, read 895,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeana View Post
I am still young certainly, but have to admit I worry about getting older. Call me vain but while I know I am no super model by any means, it is something I think about.
I was attractive enough, but not model-like or gorgeous. This saved me a lot of grief as I grew older. Since I was not relying on my looks by and large, it was not so very bad when they finally faded. I actually find it to be so wonderful that I can now walk past a group of men and not be leered at, or subjected to rude comments about my butt, boobs, etc. I do find it interesting that people call me sweetie, young lady, and treat me like a fragile old lady (I'm 71), since I feel the same inside that I always have.

I suppose that if I were widowed, I could ratchet up the !oomph! and go out into the dating scene (geezer bars, anyone?), but I am glad to have that long behind me.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:02 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I wonder if women who were deemed "unattractive" even as young women have an easier time with getting older?
I mean,they would be used to not receiving attention from men.
Not everyone was beautiful in their younger years,and i think lots of people do NOT realize that.
Some people also seem to have a hard time grasping that there are women who look better now that they are older than they did in the 20's.
I wonder if women who count on their physical looks turn out to be bitter, angry and alone later in life
simply because they had no other attributes .........

Old 09-12-2017, 04:21 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,923,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post

I suppose that if I were widowed, I could ratchet up the !oomph! and go out into the dating scene (geezer bars, anyone?), but I am glad to have that long behind me.
ME too. I am widowed but I am done with the relationship scene. Not looking not interested one bit. I miss my hubby but not willing to even try for another. I think it ironic now I have a good figure again I have no intention of using it. But it does make me feel better because I am more agile and easier for me to do things I want to do around the house and yard. My hubby was so proud of my sticking with it and losing the weight. He never badgered me when I was fat but it bothered me. I found out thyroid was a big part of the problem so I was beating my head against the wall and getting no where with losing weight until the thyroid issues were corrected.

Hahaha geezer bars. I can not even imagine.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I wonder if women who count on their physical looks turn out to be bitter, angry and alone later in life
simply because they had no other attributes .........
I had one marriage and one divorce and lots of BF's and a good looking gal BUT my choice to BE so called alone in later life. I'm still "cute" at 79 but have no desire for a man in my life. Been down that long road.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Your clothing looks just fine for a stay at home person. I stay home and the last thing I think about is changing my clothing styles. I have spent the last 10 yrs getting rid of a lifetime of clothes accumulation. I have my standards now and I feel good in them. No one to impress or even try to impress....I'm 79...wish I had the photo shop stuff but I don't.

I was letting my hair grown some in the last few months as I went thru a knee infection mess and was down a lot of months, but just got it cut again, and I look so much younger with the shorter hair again. Cute and wispy.
Thank you. I was told I need to accessorize with a scarf and jewelry. REALLY to be out spraying and chopping weeds and cleaning the frog pond and painting the house and and and. I gave up on trying to get advice. I am not the style minded kind of gal I guess. I have to replace almost everything in my closet having lost 90 pounds. Can not go from a ladies 22 to a junior 11. I have taken things in over and over even have two more t shirts to take the sides in sitting on my sewing table right now. While I was losing I bought what I needed to get by at thrift stores and then after holding the weight off for over a year I am starting to replace with new items. I want to keep it simple . Leggings T-shirts for home. Change leggings for black jeans for town runs. I usually go to town one a month for groceries and animal needs. I live 45 miles from the stores so try not to have to go too often. I am totally fine with this.

So I have bought jeans about 4 pair new and a couple pair my girlfriend gave me. And I had T-shirts all taken in that are still working. I got in on a sale on leggings and I think I bought 6 pair. Log and the shorter ones. I wer them under my jeans in winter for warmth. New panties and bras. Picked up a new looking down jacket for $5.00 at a yard sale that fits really nicely and a fleece jacket for another 5 dollar bill. I rarely ware dresses and turned all my old skirts into summer dresses then with long sleeve T under the top and tights or long leggings they become winter jumpers. I do have some fun bead necklaces but usually just stick with my four little dedicate silver necklaces I never take off.. My rings and silver bangles I have worn for over 35 years.

My hair was about a foot longer with lovely curls until I leaned over to vacuum under the fridge with upright vacuum hose attachment and got my hair caught in the beaters because it laid out on the floor and the vacuum grabbed it so fast and started ripping it out of my head. I cried I had to chop so much off. Still cutting on it to try to get it even I could not bare to cut it short. I have never liked short hair on me. I envy people it looks good on. It would be so much less work to keep it up.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
Thank you. I was told I need to accessorize with a scarf and jewelry. REALLY to be out spraying and chopping weeds and cleaning the frog pond and painting the house and and and. I gave up on trying to get advice. I am not the style minded kind of gal I guess. I have to replace almost everything in my closet having lost 90 pounds. Can not go from a ladies 22 to a junior 11. I have taken things in over and over even have two more t shirts to take the sides in sitting on my sewing table right now. While I was losing I bought what I needed to get by at thrift stores and then after holding the weight off for over a year I am starting to replace with new items. I want to keep it simple . Leggings T-shirts for home. Change leggings for black jeans for town runs. I usually go to town one a month for groceries and animal needs. I live 45 miles from the stores so try not to have to go too often. I am totally fine with this.

So I have bought jeans about 4 pair new and a couple pair my girlfriend gave me. And I had T-shirts all taken in that are still working. I got in on a sale on leggings and I think I bought 6 pair. Log and the shorter ones. I wer them under my jeans in winter for warmth. New panties and bras. Picked up a new looking down jacket for $5.00 at a yard sale that fits really nicely and a fleece jacket for another 5 dollar bill. I rarely ware dresses and turned all my old skirts into summer dresses then with long sleeve T under the top and tights or long leggings they become winter jumpers. I do have some fun bead necklaces but usually just stick with my four little dedicate silver necklaces I never take off.. My rings and silver bangles I have worn for over 35 years.

My hair was about a foot longer with lovely curls until I leaned over to vacuum under the fridge with upright vacuum hose attachment and got my hair caught in the beaters because it laid out on the floor and the vacuum grabbed it so fast and started ripping it out of my head. I cried I had to chop so much off. Still cutting on it to try to get it even I could not bare to cut it short. I have never liked short hair on me. I envy people it looks good on. It would be so much less work to keep it up.
Oh I got rid of all my gold jewelry and now only wear hoops and when I was down so long with knee issue thought my holes closed but just the other day I tried to put in my hoops and they worked...so I'm wearing these 30 yrs old gold small hoops -- I don't like a lot of jewelry, wear no rings at all anymore. A real casual gal.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I had one marriage and one divorce and lots of BF's and a good looking gal BUT my choice to BE so called alone in later life. I'm still "cute" at 79 but have no desire for a man in my life. Been down that long road.
I was married twice and widowed twice with an abusive 13 year live in relationship between the two husbands. 47 years of taking care of a man. Sick a fork in my I am done! Now it it time to take care of me. It is a little bit lonely because I have no family and only a couple good friends. Both work and one is gone most of the time on her job. For the most part I am good being alone. If I really need some on in my life I just jump on the computer. Sorry guys you are stuck with me. Now I am off to work on my mosaics. Toodles.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:31 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
There is a lovely article in New York Times, Feeling Older? Here's How to Embrace It

Quote:
What is ‘old’?

Most people wouldn’t say that a 38-year-old qualifies, but once you pass the median age of 37.8, you may statistically be considered “old,” said Tom Ludwig, emeritus professor of psychology at Hope College in Holland, Mich.

Studies show that people start feeling old in their 60s, and a Pew Research Center survey found that nearly 3,000 respondents said 68 was the average age at which old age begins.

Daniel B. Kaplan, an assistant professor of social work at Adelphi University in Garden City, N.Y., said in an email that living to an advanced age was a relatively recent achievement.

“The average human life span gained more years during the 20th century than in all prior millennia combined,” he wrote, adding that the average life expectancy in the United States is 79.1.

Gain perspective

Dr. Gayatri Devi, a neurologist at Lenox Hill Hospital in Manhattan, said that your outlook can make a difference.

She recalled a patient who frequently said, “Old age has an ugly face.” The patient died when she was 84.

Another patient, who was 98, told Dr. Devi that when she was younger she looked like the actress Elizabeth Taylor. When the doctor told her that it must be difficult for someone who was once that beautiful to have aged, the patient remonstrated: “What do you mean? Am I not still beautiful?”

That patient is now 100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement