Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2017, 04:54 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
My husband says this too. Therefore, I keep mine long. It doesn't really take any extra work, I don't do anything to it but wash, squeeze in some product, and blow dry my bangs. And when it does look bad, I just blame the convertible and/or the boat.
All four of his sisters have short hair.
Good - that either explains his disdain for short hair on women, dating back to his childhood or is a great deterrent for inappropriate familial behavior....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 05:02 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Hehehe . . . I think it entirely depends on how you view yourself -- if you are obsessed with the calendar and view yourself as getting old and washed up, then you'll probably tend to lean that way. Age is all in your head. But I have to admit, I do adore being older in one sense -- I don't put up with crap from anyone, anymore. I got to a point where I realized, except for VERY few exceptions, I just didn't give a flip what people thought of me. THAT was extraordinarily liberating. :-)

I don't worry about it. I'm 60. Most people think I'm in my 40's. My one concession to my age is my monthly visit to a very good colorist, and my refusal to chop my hair short. :-)
What I find amazing is hearing multiple women state how it is so shallow or obsessive to be concerned with the calendar and their changing appearance...and in the next breath regale us with their appearance being 20 years younger than their chronology and that they LOOOOVE their colorist. All while throwing in a little dig at women who have their hair short. As long as beauty comes naturally I guess you're entitled to go through life blithely denigrating others who are not as gifted in looks.

I've read studies saying that depressed people tend to be realists and others are delusional optimists or perhaps just delusional - whatever it takes to get through the day. It does take a lot of psychic energy subconsciously reconciling what you ARE with what you try to project to others.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:19 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,190,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I am about to turn 60 and I don't know how to handle it. I don't feel 60. However I look in the mirror and see wrinkles. I see loss of hair. I hear young people at work call me Ms GiGi.

People view me as being older. I don't feel older. With time I assume I will accept it.

I look 60, feel like 80, am overweight AND have short hair but I am alive after surviving breast cancer and my husband of 40 years adores me and I adore him. I had a harder time of it in my fifties because of menopause and all the sudden changes but now I am so focused on enjoying life. I wish you the best

Old 09-20-2017, 05:42 PM

689 posts, read 972,691 times
Too bad this thread has gone to an ongoing narrative about lost beauty, younger looking, older looking, hair short, long, etc, etc. Not my place to judge, of course, but why can't we share on more interesting levels?

Love to know what others are doing to stay strong, healthy, fit, productive with good work/hobbies and anything else that helps you to stay positive and content with life.

* Have a 38 year marriage that is still a work in progress and sustains me through everything.

*At 65, I'm more fit than I was 10 years ago due to lots of days at the gym doing Zumba, strength training, etc.

*Now that I'm retired, my creativity is definitely on the upswing and I'm finishing more projects and brainstorming a lot more about new ones. My art has moved in new directions and I'm excited about this.

* I hike more and found new stamina that I didn't know I had.

* Relocated to a new state and have found some great new friends.

* My husband and I have done a fair bit of traveling in the last couple of years and these adventures seems to keep us feeling (somewhat) youthful.

*Spiritually trying to read and learn more about alternative viewpoints and ideas away from organized religion which I'm not a fan of. This helps when I start feeling bonkers about the state of the world which happens quite regularly lately.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:44 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
What I find amazing is hearing multiple women state how it is so shallow or obsessive to be concerned with the calendar and their changing appearance...and in the next breath regale us with their appearance being 20 years younger than their chronology and that they LOOOOVE their colorist. All while throwing in a little dig at women who have their hair short. As long as beauty comes naturally I guess you're entitled to go through life blithely denigrating others who are not as gifted in looks.

I've read studies saying that depressed people tend to be realists and others are delusional optimists or perhaps just delusional - whatever it takes to get through the day. It does take a lot of psychic energy subconsciously reconciling what you ARE with what you try to project to others.
Tried to rep you, but need to spread it around. ^^^

Old 09-20-2017, 06:18 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,190,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
Too bad this thread has gone to an ongoing narrative about lost beauty, younger looking, older looking, hair short, long, etc, etc. Not my place to judge, of course, but why can't we share on more interesting levels?

Love to know what others are doing to stay strong, healthy, fit, productive with good work/hobbies and anything else that helps you to stay positive and content with life.

* Have a 38 year marriage that is still a work in progress and sustains me through everything.

*At 65, I'm more fit than I was 10 years ago due to lots of days at the gym doing Zumba, strength training, etc.

*Now that I'm retired, my creativity is definitely on the upswing and I'm finishing more projects and brainstorming a lot more about new ones. My art has moved in new directions and I'm excited about this.

* I hike more and found new stamina that I didn't know I had.

* Relocated to a new state and have found some great new friends.

* My husband and I have done a fair bit of traveling in the last couple of years and these adventures seems to keep us feeling (somewhat) youthful.

*Spiritually trying to read and learn more about alternative viewpoints and ideas away from organized religion which I'm not a fan of. This helps when I start feeling bonkers about the state of the world which happens quite regularly lately.

* 40 years married
* 62 and swim 3 or 4 times a week - walk every night with husband
* continue to be active in the arts / exhibits and just had reception
* have very active social circle
* currently planning a move to a new state and very excited
* spend sundays traveling the back roads and exploring new places
* hobbies hotography, thrifting

Old 09-20-2017, 09:09 PM

32,914 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I haven't gotten over it. Several months ago, I turned 70, and that number horrifies me. It sounds so OLD. I'm healthy, I take care of myself and my appearance, and my life is enjoyable, but since turning 70 I have just felt old. I can't stand to look at my naked body in the mirror any more, and I'm damn sure not going to show it to anyone else outside of a medical context.

It's funny, my mother is 95, and she said she didn't start to feel old until she turned 90. She said 89 wasn't bad, but when she turned 90, she suddenly felt old. I guess for me it happened 20 years younger.
You look good to me. My dad died when my mom was was 70. I thought that was going to be the end of her. She ended up with type 2 diabetes, GERD, and hypertension. Stress kills.

I did everything I could for her--paid her bills, visited, took her on trips. She finally got quite a bit better, but it took a long time.

I like old people. They usually know something that I don't.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:37 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,523,595 times
Who says I got over it?

Old 09-20-2017, 11:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Question for women, how did you get over getting older?

What about all the guys (and gals) that adore / enjoy / engage / appreciate 'older-women' ???

Don't let them down

Keep them, perked up enjoying the beauty / benefit of... the aging of us all!

Yes there are BENEFITS to any age!

Embrace the process (a work in progress).

(the GI inspection was not so fun today (benefit(?) of aging... I will ENJOY not having to do that for another year!) Enough of the organ recitals... appreciate (all) the 'parts' that are still WORKING!

Old 09-21-2017, 12:40 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,884,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Good - that either explains his disdain for short hair on women, dating back to his childhood or is a great deterrent for inappropriate familial behavior....?
HAHAHAHA!! I guess disdain is a good word for it...he thinks they're all pushy, don't let their husbands express an opinion, and don't care what their husband thinks of their hair! He is, of course, assuming ALL men like long hair on women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement