U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 10:33 AM

7,298 posts, read 15,350,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Within the next couple of years, all the cable operators are going to offer DOCSIS 3.1 gigabit service. You don't need fiber to get that kind of speed. Certainly everyone in the Comcast and Charter/Time-Warner/Brighthouse/Spectrum footprint is going to have that kind of data rate soon. That's about 75% of the cable industry between the two monster cable companies.
Generally the problem is last half mile or so, between the switch and the houses. At my last rural home, the landline company promised 2 mbps service and we were lucky to get about 750k - not even enough to videoconference. There was absolutely no incentive for them to upgrade the old equipment and lines and so they didn't.

Sure, anywhere the housing density can justify cost will get higher speeds, but you need to pick your rural areas carefully if you think you need high speed internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 10:57 AM

7,660 posts, read 4,705,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Most hotspots (even on the "unlimited" plans) are far from truly unlimited. I think Verizon throttles after 22GB or so. That's not a lot data, especially if you stream movies. That's not even counting the excessive cost of your access.
Love the 30-something lecturing the 60-something Silicon Valley techie who is married to a network engineer. But that's what the "Retirement" forum is all about, right?

Old 09-11-2017, 12:24 PM

3,892 posts, read 1,653,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Originally startups began in less expensive places. Their success caused the influx of people and money. The couple in the article may eventually be the cause of turning their quiet little towns into more Silicon Valley's.
Do you know the way to San Jose...
it was noplace when that song was written!

Old 09-11-2017, 12:46 PM

6,226 posts, read 5,360,581 times
The tech for remote work has existed for a long time now. Companies still largely want workers at the brick and mortar because it facilities team work and possibly coming up with new ideas.

I was never a small town kind of person. I grew up in one, I could not wait to leave. There was no real work other than jobs that were low wages and part time.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,571 posts, read 39,952,759 times
I'm happy to work remotely and my company still encourages it.

but... cable / or DSL will never be an option, (not enough customers in a 'national park' type area (no new homes allowed)

Satellite dishes and cell towers are also forbidden. (Need to move to town... or go often). Need libraries / schools that are open during all dark hours, since most my online PT consulting work need is in Asia.

Maybe someday USA will have rural distributed broadband.

Google Fiber is very close, but not available.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:12 PM

13,912 posts, read 7,405,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Generally the problem is last half mile or so, between the switch and the houses. At my last rural home, the landline company promised 2 mbps service and we were lucky to get about 750k - not even enough to videoconference. There was absolutely no incentive for them to upgrade the old equipment and lines and so they didn't.

Sure, anywhere the housing density can justify cost will get higher speeds, but you need to pick your rural areas carefully if you think you need high speed internet.
You're describing TELCO DSL, not cable DOCSIS-based broadband over coaxial cable. If you choose to live somewhere not served by a cable company, you get two tin cans and a string.

And yep, DSL is all about your distance from the DSLAM box. It's acceptable 1/2 miles away from it. It degrades quickly from there. Cable runs fiber to the neighborhood and distributes the signal the last few hundred meters using shielded copper coaxial cable. It's tough to justify the cost of the fiber nodes in rural areas that convert fiber to copper. The rural telcos get government subsidies from the rest of our phone bills. The cable companies don't get that subsidy. Eventually, most rural places will shift to wireless with directional antennas. Way cheaper than running copper or fiber to rural homes. Of course, just like with satellite TV, you won't like the signal during a heavy rainstorm or snowstorm.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:28 PM

1,542 posts, read 2,383,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
What's boredom to you is a wonderful life for me free from the rat race, traffic, and crime. You're only bored if you don't have the capacity to find interesting things to do no matter where you live.

Me too! and there is fiber to the house here too. 30Meg?? unlimited and phone landline with all the bells and whistles for 115.00 a month. I just get the 4meg. Good enough for me I am retired. Love living in my little town. Besides it would be hard to travel with 7 cats and 2 dogs. LOL

Old 09-11-2017, 05:14 PM

7,660 posts, read 4,705,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I was never a small town kind of person. I grew up in one, I could not wait to leave. There was no real work other than jobs that were low wages and part time.
That's exactly my story. Left and never looked back. Small wages, small minds and people whose chief entertainment was spreading vicious gossip about their neighbors. In my birth family, that's practically a cottage industry.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:59 PM

1,542 posts, read 2,383,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
That's exactly my story. Left and never looked back. Small wages, small minds and people whose chief entertainment was spreading vicious gossip about their neighbors. In my birth family, that's practically a cottage industry.

Yes there is that here too. And some times it would get to me. Then I just decided to be the recluse I always in my heart. I just love my little house. Creating beautiful spaces within it and in the yard. Playing my fiddle and listening to music singing when I feel like it. I do miss my hubby but I do not mind being alone at all. I really do not need the petty people around here. Been here 9 years happy as a clam They leave me alone I leave them alone and being the new widow I even get gossip going around when my MARRIED men friends stop buy to see if everything is ok. Let them talk I know myself and am confident in my actions. I just ignore them. And being retired I do not care about wages. I do agree small towns are not for the faint of heart. Not saying either of you are faint of heart but many are. I have a rather sick sense of humor so most times all that is going on in town if I should hear about it just makes me laugh or I do not shiv a get. Which is most of the time.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:34 PM

371 posts, read 396,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

I've done a ton of telecommuting in my career. You need high broadband speeds for video, not for telecommuting. I'm pretty much just as effective telecommuting using my smartphone as a personal hotspot using the Verizon LTE network sitting in the cockpit of the boat as I am at home with 500 megabit/sec service. Telecommuting is email, web, phone calls, and the occasional videoconference. A reliable sustained 25 megabit/sec data rate is just fine for that.
That all depends on what you do for a living. I also telecommuted for several years but I worked as a software test and support engineer. Downloading large customer databases (and worse, needing to upload them when done) requires considerable bandwidth, certainly I needed more than 25 Mbps download speeds, always a challenge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement