Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 11:59 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,348,547 times

Advertisements

The article is geared towards millennials; basically telling them to forgo high cost areas to do remote work (via internet) in areas with fast internet connections:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabe.../#38219b75533f

It's goes through the typical "why here" endorsements, but the thrust is all about cheap living (several average rents at ~$600, land @ $2000 an acre, houses sub $100k to $160k) and fact connectivity (gigafiber).

I thought some would be interested here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 08:16 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
You are going to have a hard time finding any apartment in Chattanooga serviced by EPB at $600/month. Core Chattanooga is actually becoming quite pricey with the recent influx of young people and tech scene, though by no means is it nothing like Nashville.

That's the only city I'm familiar with. Chattanooga has small mountains right in the city. It has all the essentials, decent shopping, great outdoor activities, low TN taxes, etc.

Gig internet starts at $70/month, and I think every address (save some multifamily dwellings) is covered in the city proper.

While most folks do want to be so rural that you do not have broadband, I can't imagine most seniors being limited on standard 100 mb/sec plans from most cable companies and needing to go full gig.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:19 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
The article is geared towards millennials; basically telling them to forgo high cost areas to do remote work (via internet) in areas with fast internet connections:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabe.../#38219b75533f

It's goes through the typical "why here" endorsements, but the thrust is all about cheap living (several average rents at ~$600, land @ $2000 an acre, houses sub $100k to $160k) and fact connectivity (gigafiber).

I thought some would be interested here.
Why settle down at all in Small Town USA where you'll be bored within a year? Do what I did and get a wireless mobile data hotspot so you can pick up stakes and move on when the whim suits you. $200/month for all I can eat and I never have speed or latency issues.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:48 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You are going to have a hard time finding any apartment in Chattanooga serviced by EPB at $600/month. Core Chattanooga is actually becoming quite pricey with the recent influx of young people and tech scene, though by no means is it nothing like Nashville.
If you actually read the article, it says rents in Chatt average $1200 a month. And having been born and raised in one of the towns on the list, I can only say, "WTF!"

Old 09-11-2017, 05:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
all are 'cities' / towns....doesn't include the COST of fast speeds... (Free would be good for commerce)

I'm hoping for RURAL HS internet and MUCH of my state has very cheap fiber to even rural areas (not my area). (<$40 for 50+ mbps(speed), unlimited data (Cap)) Fiber services added by the Hydro electric companies / not private companies.

Fiber ran directly in front of my rural home, but is only accessible for schools and libraries (20 miles away) ...

Need to move to town... but I will miss my view and SILENCE.

this sums it up... I usually have MUCH better and cheaper internet when in 3rd world countries.
On the world stage, the US isn't even close to the top 10 countries when it comes to average broadband speed.
https://www.pcmag.com/article/353936...t-isps-of-2017

Old 09-11-2017, 06:53 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Why settle down at all in Small Town USA where you'll be bored within a year? Do what I did and get a wireless mobile data hotspot so you can pick up stakes and move on when the whim suits you. $200/month for all I can eat and I never have speed or latency issues.
What's boredom to you is a wonderful life for me free from the rat race, traffic, and crime. You're only bored if you don't have the capacity to find interesting things to do no matter where you live.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:09 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
What's boredom to you is a wonderful life for me free from the rat race, traffic, and crime. You're only bored if you don't have the capacity to find interesting things to do no matter where you live.
I've lived for a bit in three of those areas - it can be very relaxing and peaceful. But you are right - you have to have a love for that type of life and not need to be surrounded by big city things.

Probably the most challenging one would be San Angelo Texas. There is an air force base out there and I read a lot of complaining from the young folks out there - but they are young and want something more exciting - but not all.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:33 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
"What if the best places to launch a startup aren’t in the most expensive cities? Perhaps it’s in the cheapest places wired with the fastest internet."
Originally startups began in less expensive places. Their success caused the influx of people and money. The couple in the article may eventually be the cause of turning their quiet little towns into more Silicon Valley's.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:25 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Most hotspots (even on the "unlimited" plans) are far from truly unlimited. I think Verizon throttles after 22GB or so. That's not a lot data, especially if you stream movies. That's not even counting the excessive cost of your access.

Many nearby areas in the mountains of southwest Virginia have no broadband or cellular service. It is more likely to find broadband without reliable cellular service than the other way around probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
If you actually read the article, it says rents in Chatt average $1200 a month. And having been born and raised in one of the towns on the list, I can only say, "WTF!"
Yep, Chattanooga is cheap compared to the coasts, but it's by no means dirt cheap.

I spent a weekend down there in the spring and was really impressed with its downtown and younger/tech scene. It seems like a great place to live. With that said, housing seemed a good bit more expensive than Knoxville for what you get.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:38 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Within the next couple of years, all the cable operators are going to offer DOCSIS 3.1 gigabit service. You don't need fiber to get that kind of speed. Certainly everyone in the Comcast and Charter/Time-Warner/Brighthouse/Spectrum footprint is going to have that kind of data rate soon. That's about 75% of the cable industry between the two monster cable companies.

I've done a ton of telecommuting in my career. You need high broadband speeds for video, not for telecommuting. I'm pretty much just as effective telecommuting using my smartphone as a personal hotspot using the Verizon LTE network sitting in the cockpit of the boat as I am at home with 500 megabit/sec service. Telecommuting is email, web, phone calls, and the occasional videoconference. A reliable sustained 25 megabit/sec data rate is just fine for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement