Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 03:03 PM

4,262 posts, read 5,888,541 times

Advertisements

The historical questions they ask, geesh!

What credit card did you start in 2002?
  • !5 years ago? Well, that was about the time we had the CC number stolen on our primary card while vacationing. I know the name of the bank issuing our second major brand CC (so we will never be left without a valid CC while vacationing again), but is that what is being asked? Maybe they have data on a Store CC issued in the same year, and does any one really know the name of the banks who issue the store cards? May have failed this question.
What is the name of the bank under-writing a mortgage you started in late 2014?
  • OK, I co-signed a mortgage application for our youngest son as the co-owner for the home he is living in now while attending Medical School. Funny how banks will not lend money to unemployed future Doctors, even unemployed future Doctors with significant savings. I knew this answer.
  • But the loan origination month did not match the month identified in the SSA question. Was this a trick? Do they have bad data? Maybe I failed this question too.
How much is the monthly mortgage payment for the 2014 Mortgage, to the nearest $100?
  • Our son makes all payments from his savings accumulated while working as a Software Engineer. I have my copy of the Mortgage papers with the original payment schedule, but I know he has elected to have all Property Tax and Insurance increases added to the Escrow portion of his payment. I have no idea what the current payment is and can only guess. Probably failed this question.
Did you ever live on any of the following streets?
  • Trick question. I never lived on any of the streets, but our oldest son did live on one of the streets while in Law School. I had co-signed an auto loan for him for which he was continuing to make payments while attending Law School. I gave the truthful answer but should have lied as this false address has popped up on my credit reports in the past. Probably failed this one too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 03:10 PM

6,869 posts, read 11,178,001 times
Smile Possible answer

SSA gets this info from Equifax. Get a copy of your Equifax and you will see the incorrect info on there in order to answer your questions.

This happens a lot.

I have clients that I have to help sometimes get online access and we sit here in my office and do it.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:00 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,865,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
SSA gets this info from Equifax. Get a copy of your Equifax and you will see the incorrect info on there in order to answer your questions.

This happens a lot.

I have clients that I have to help sometimes get online access and we sit here in my office and do it.
No worries. Hackers already have the Equifax report and figuring out how to take over all of our accounts as we speak.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:50 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,460,451 times
Be glad they don't make it too easy! Especially given all the data breaches surrounding us.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:30 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,647,543 times
Not as important perhaps, but I could not open a fedex account because they insisted a neighbors son was a member of my family.

He did live here briefly but it was years before I bought the place.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:53 AM

4,262 posts, read 5,888,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post

This happens a lot.

Thanks Bette! That was my suspicion but I didn't know there was a one-stop place to get the same data the SSA is reviewing. Tremendous irony in this solution considering what happened recently at Equifax! Luckily my wife and I received the answer that each of us probably didn't have our information compromised.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:45 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,192,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Thanks Bette! That was my suspicion but I didn't know there was a one-stop place to get the same data the SSA is reviewing. Tremendous irony in this solution considering what happened recently at Equifax! Luckily my wife and I received the answer that each of us probably didn't have our information compromised.
Great....but that is still pretty ambiguous and Equifax withholding this info for a month doesn't make them very trustworthy whatever they're saying now. Either they were lying, are lying, or just plain don't know.

Just found this in the nytimes (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/y...pagewanted=all):

On Thursday night, I entered my last name and the last six digits of my Social Security number on the appropriate Equifax web page. (They had the gall to ask for this? Really? But I digress.) I received no “message indicating whether your personal information may have been impacted by this incident,” as the site promised. Instead, I was bounced to an offer for free credit monitoring, without a “yes,” “no” or “maybe” on the central question at hand.

By Friday morning, this had changed, and I got a “your personal information may have been impacted by this incident” notification. Progress. Except as my friend Justin Soffer pointed out on Twitter, you can enter a random name and number into the site and it will tell you the same thing. Indeed, I typed “Trump” and arbitrary numbers and got the same message.

Last edited by reneeh63; 09-10-2017 at 08:02 AM..

Old 09-10-2017, 08:06 AM

251 posts, read 231,769 times
Does anyone know exactly what information credit bureaus have in their database about you? For example, they know how much you owe so they know your creditors. Do the creditors also share account numbers, credit card numbers, your personal information recorded to a bank account, your driver's license number, your answers to security questions, etc. How much do they know of the information their sources know?

Old 09-10-2017, 08:34 AM

105,691 posts, read 107,663,235 times
"How Credit Bureaus Get Information

A credit bureau is a clearinghouse for credit information about consumers. There are more than 1,000 local and regional credit bureaus around the country that gather information about your credit habits directly from your creditors. Typically, these smaller local and regional bureaus are affiliated with one of three large national credit bureaus -- Equifax, Experian and TransUnion (see below).

For example, let's say you apply for a credit card and provide the card company with all of your personal information, such as your name and address, your previous address (if you haven't lived at your current residence for more than two years), your employer, other credit cards you have, etc. The credit card company then contacts a credit reporting agency (CRA) and reviews your credit report. If the company approves your application for a credit card, then the information you've supplied is forwarded to the CRA. That credit card company also reports your payment history to the CRA, so that becomes part of the report. The CRAs also access information about you from public record information such as court records."

How Credit Bureaus Get Information - How Credit Bureaus Work | HowStuffWorks

Old 09-10-2017, 09:07 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,460,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaLee2 View Post
Does anyone know exactly what information credit bureaus have in their database about you? For example, they know how much you owe so they know your creditors. Do the creditors also share account numbers, credit card numbers, your personal information recorded to a bank account, your driver's license number, your answers to security questions, etc. How much do they know of the information their sources know?
Short answer, no we don't. As MJ pointed out, they get information in various ways, but there have been non-participants in the past, such as AMEX, who did not report. Don't know about now. We also don't know the extent of aggregation of non-credit data, such as what is now available from data brokers, such as our purchase histories. To my knowledge, there is nothing forcing them to give all our information in a credit report. So we just don't know.

Remember that we are neither customers nor clients, and have very few rights to anything from these companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement