U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 02:19 PM

23,775 posts, read 8,259,495 times

Advertisements

Now, I know this isn't a health board group but who wants to end up with dementia and alzheimers? I sure don't and will do all I know to keep my mind going as good as it is now at 79.

My Big 2 supplements are Grape Seed Extract and Magnesium.

Magnesium & Alzheimer’s | Dr. Carolyn Dean MD ND
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 02:26 PM

978 posts, read 605,665 times
nice4, if I can remember from a previous post of yours that you are a Veteran who served in Vietnam. The VA does offer some long term care benefits to Veterans, but there are eligibility requirements related to service connected disability status as well as income. You should contact the resource I have provided below sooner rather than later so you will know before you may need it what is available to you from the VA.

Where to get help regarding VA long-term care benefits

You can get free assistance with any VA-related question or problem by phone or in person through one of the VA's Vet Centers, which are located in every state. You can also get assistance by contacting the Veterans Benefits Administration office nearest you. The VA also has a toll-free telephone help line at 800-827-1000.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:01 PM

4,365 posts, read 3,702,696 times
There are consideration for the living expenses of the spouse not in the nursing home but I do not think they are great.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:39 PM

71,587 posts, read 71,751,865 times
depends on state .

Old 09-10-2017, 03:54 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,847,776 times
did you say you were wearing depends?

Old 09-10-2017, 04:11 PM

10,133 posts, read 12,387,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
nice4, if I can remember from a previous post of yours that you are a Veteran who served in Vietnam. The VA does offer some long term care benefits to Veterans, but there are eligibility requirements related to service connected disability status as well as income. You should contact the resource I have provided below sooner rather than later so you will know before you may need it what is available to you from the VA.

Where to get help regarding VA long-term care benefits

You can get free assistance with any VA-related question or problem by phone or in person through one of the VA's Vet Centers, which are located in every state. You can also get assistance by contacting the Veterans Benefits Administration office nearest you. The VA also has a toll-free telephone help line at 800-827-1000.
Yes, and that is what I would do if I were the one to come down with whatever it would take to take me out.

I would go VA because it wouldn't cost me a dime and my wife would be well protected.

If something happened to my wife I would do whatever it took to insure she had good care.

How Much a Spouse Can Keep in Ohio

Quote:
If you have a spouse who is going to continue to live independently, then Ohio will allow you and your spouse to keep more income and assets to support that spouse.

Your spouse will be allowed to keep some income each month. The amount will depend on how many dependents and expenses he or she has. In 2014, the minimum Community Spouse Income Allowance is $1,966.25, and the maximum is $2,931.

Ohio assumes that half of the assets that you had at the time of your first admission to a nursing home (called the "Community Spouse Resources Allowance" (CSRA)) should belong to your spouse, subject to a limit that changes annually. The minimum CSRA in 2014 is $23,448, and the maximum is $117,240. When you apply for Medicaid, ODJFS will tell you how much your community spouse is entitled to keep.

When you apply for Medicaid, your CSRA is subtracted from your countable assets at the time of your application. For example, say Mr. and Mrs. Johnson have $80,000 in countable assets when he moves into a nursing home on February 1st. Mrs. Johnson continues to live in the couple’s home. On that date, Mrs. Johnson's CSRA is calculated to be $40,000. The Johnsons use their savings to pay for Mr. Johnson's nursing home care until December 1st, when he applies for Medicaid. On December 1st, Mr. and Mrs. Johnson have $40,000 left in countable assets. Because Mrs. Johnson's CSRA is $40,000, she is entitled to keep the $40,000. Mr. Johnson then has no countable assets, and he meets the resource eligibility criteria for Medicaid.
I could live OK on $2,931 but $1,966 would suck.

I wonder why the minimum and maximum?

Last edited by nicet4; 09-10-2017 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: Added what I found for Ohio

Old 09-10-2017, 04:14 PM

71,587 posts, read 71,751,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
did you say you were wearing depends?
no but in the thread we had here on whether seniors should wear thongs , i did say depends .

Old 09-10-2017, 05:11 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,260,047 times
So, if that was the situation, and the well spouse was going to have to live in poverty, is it possible to divorce the spouse who has dementia... still be there for them, but not married to them? If you divorced them and split everything 50/50, would that protect the well spouse's remaining assets?

Old 09-10-2017, 05:41 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,327,549 times
This is one of the reasons we haven't gotten married!

Old 09-10-2017, 05:59 PM

10,133 posts, read 12,387,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
So, if that was the situation, and the well spouse was going to have to live in poverty, is it possible to divorce the spouse who has dementia... still be there for them, but not married to them? If you divorced them and split everything 50/50, would that protect the well spouse's remaining assets?
From what I read you don't have to.

The well spouse is still entitled to the house with an upper limit that would cover most houses in the USA and one car without a value limit.

Half the savings would be split prior to the ill spouse going into the nursing home.

If the surviving spouse is able to keep close to $3,000/month most of us would be fine with that.

I will never get divorced. It was for better or for worse, in sickness and in health and for better or worse... I made an oath before God and no man made regulation will ever get me to break that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or