U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 08:50 PM

979 posts, read 606,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Wow, thank you again. I just picked up my monthly medicine from Costco last Friday at a cost of $565 with a part D supplement. I believe the reason for the high cost now is that Iím in the doughnut hole.
Get out your DD-214 and most recent tax returns and head over to your local VA hospital or clinic and request to enroll in Primary Care. The VA is under the gun to get you your initial primary care provider appointment within 30 days, so hopefully in the very near future you will be getting your medication from the VA at no cost or much lower cost than you are paying now. Glad I could help another Vet out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 06:09 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,639,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
The scenario would be a married couple both in their late 60's, on medicare, retired and not having long term care insurance. What happens if one has to be admitted to a long term care facility with Alzheimer's or other nursing needs?

I know it is a wise thing to have but some people simply can not afford and others, due to existing health issues, can not purchase at any price.

This would not be an issue of being negligent.

Let's put a value on the home of residence at $200k and they do not own any other property.

His social security benefit is $2,600 while the wife receives $1,300 for a combined monthly benefit of $3,900.

They have a combined savings and IRA accounts of $150k with most of this in the IRA accounts.

They have two cars; one is valued at $12,000 the other at $8,000.

The husband develops Alzheimer's and needs full time nursing home care. What happens to the spouse? What happens to his social security benefit? If they take half the total benefit the spouse not needing care can not afford to continue living where they are.

What happens to the IRA and savings account?

Same thing if the wife develops Alzheimer's, what happens?

What effect does having a Plan G or Plan F supplement have on this scenario?

In the long run as I understand it Medicare has to take care of the afflicted but what happens to the spouse that is not afflicted and might live another 20 years?
I am 80 and don't have LTCI. If your scenario happens to us, we will spend down down till we qualify for Medicaid. At my age you can't buy insurance. I am a Veteran, so I will also pursue that, but I believe you are means tested so again ,spend down.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:15 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,222,762 times
Quote:
Thank you germaine,

Nothing is happening with us, we are both in good health for our age and while I don't see any surprises on the horizon sometimes bad things just happen.
there are financial planners who specialize in these types of questions, concerns

Old 09-16-2017, 06:16 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,222,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I am 80 and don't have LTCI. If your scenario happens to us, we will spend down down till we qualify for Medicaid. At my age you can't buy insurance. I am a Veteran, so I will also pursue that, but I believe you are means tested so again ,spend down.
Eligible veterans benefit from the Aid and Attendance pension - Chicago Tribune

Old 09-16-2017, 07:55 PM

10,135 posts, read 12,390,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
Get out your DD-214 and most recent tax returns and head over to your local VA hospital or clinic and request to enroll in Primary Care. The VA is under the gun to get you your initial primary care provider appointment within 30 days, so hopefully in the very near future you will be getting your medication from the VA at no cost or much lower cost than you are paying now. Glad I could help another Vet out.
I am already enrolled in the VA healthcare system and I have a service connected disability left over from Vietnam. My VA card says "service connected" so I can usually get right in.

Yeah, we're still paying for Vietnam.

I have found VA care to be excellent.

Excellent.

Income stops us but this covers a spouse within the income limits so someone could really use this.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:50 AM

979 posts, read 606,557 times
Quote:
I am already enrolled in the VA healthcare system and I have a service connected disability left over from Vietnam. My VA card says "service connected" so I can usually get right in.
If you have a "disability left over from Vietnam" and your VA card says "service connected" then you would be entitled to receive some compensation related to your service connected disability. And since your have never included receiving a VA disability pension in your posts including the one you started this thread with, I am not sure you are reading what is on your VA card correctly or you do not fully understand the process involved in the determination of being a service connected disabled Veteran.

To be determined a service connected disabled Veteran, prior to that determination you would have had to file a claim with the VA for a suspected injury or illness that occurred while you are on active duty. After the claim is processed you are then scheduled for exam/s with a VA compensation & pension practitioner/s that determine if your injury or illness or injury is a direct result of or occurred while you were on active duty. Once it is established that the injury or illness you filed a claim for is service connected, these disabilities are then given a % rating which determines the amount of disability compensation you will receive. The lowest being 10% which would be around $133/month to 100% which can be >$3,000/month. And there is another special compensation tier for those service connected Veterans that have neurological illnesses such as MS and ALS because their care needs are so great. I have two of these unfortunate Veterans that I case manage their care and both receive monthly disability pensions of $7,250/month. And that funding along with home modifications and disabled equipped vehicles that can transport them to physician appointments they are able to have most all their care needs met in their homes which has enhanced the quality of their lives compared to the alternative being nursing home placement.

If you read your card incorrectly and or did not fully understand the process of how the designation of service connected disability is determined, but you believe you sustained and illness or injury related to your military service I strongly encourage to start the claim filing process because you could be missing out on compensation and other VA benefits you are entitled to.

And lastly, what you may think constitutes a service connected illness or injury you will be very surprised the things you never considered are. Those two Vets I mentioned with the MS and ALS their military service did not cause these illnesses, but the symptoms of their illnesses either began when they were on active duty or they were diagnosed with these illnesses while on active duty. Unfortunately countless WWII, Korean era, and even many Vietnam Veterans missed out on pursuing VA disability pensions because information about this was not readily available to them. Fortunately now this info is readily available to Vets through the internet, local Veteran centers, and other Veteran organizations and for this reason increasing number of Vets are pursuing filing disability claims so they can obtain benefits they may be entitled to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or