U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 10:08 AM

3,090 posts, read 1,717,042 times

Advertisements

My husband was never into lawn care or gardening. After many arguments over what is an adequate yard, we decided to hire a service a few years ago. We do the weed and feed which he finds easy to do.

The service mows every other week. We have a sprinkler system. They do a fall and spring clean up for an extra charge.
I am unsure how to handle a few things about the yard I am not happy about. This has been a very wet year and I don't know if that is the reason but we have an awful amount of weeds in the beds and all around which is just woods.
The pavers in the lawn are covered with grass, so much so, they have disappeared in places.
The edging have disppeared and the lawn is encroaching on to the beds.
The service does use a tool to trim and edge the drive way and blow it all out and do a neat job.
But I feel they should do a better job on the parts I mentioned.
They were very late with Spring cleaning and we decided to skip the mulch this year. Maybe a mistake

Do You have a service?
What do they do on a routine basis and seasonal?
Do you have them trim your bushes and tree branches? Only when they need or seasonal?
Do the edge and trim the beds regularly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 10:13 AM

2,184 posts, read 1,340,059 times
This probably belongs in the House or Garden forum.

I would get another service. Or find someone who does weeding and flower bed cleanup, maybe a landscaping service. A lawn service may not be set up for that. Also, don't skip the mulch, it does keep a lot of the weeds in check, and when they do appear, they are easier to pull because their roots are in the mulch and not in the dirt.

If the pavers are overgrown, you might have to use Roundup or similar. Be aware, after Roundup kills them, you still have to pull them out.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:49 AM

29,764 posts, read 34,851,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
My husband was never into lawn care or gardening. After many arguments over what is an adequate yard, we decided to hire a service a few years ago. We do the weed and feed which he finds easy to do.

The service mows every other week. We have a sprinkler system. They do a fall and spring clean up for an extra charge.
I am unsure how to handle a few things about the yard I am not happy about. This has been a very wet year and I don't know if that is the reason but we have an awful amount of weeds in the beds and all around which is just woods.
The pavers in the lawn are covered with grass, so much so, they have disappeared in places.
The service does use a tool to trim and edge the drive way and blow it all out and do a neat job.
They were very late with Spring cleaning and we decided to skip the mulch this year. Maybe a mistake

Do You have a service?
Do you have them trim your bushes and tree branches? Only when they need or seasonal?
We use a highly professional regional lawn and garden maintenance company. That is individually owned and not part of a franchise. For actual lawn care we use a Fireman who does this on his off days and is awesome. He edges around everything. We have a long back of our yard (Triangle with the entire length planted and mulched. He edges and blows clean all of that including around the entire back of the house, deck landscaping including the steps. There are multiple trees and other landscaped areas in the back and front that he does along with the driveway etc. He is a blessing!

Old 09-12-2017, 11:06 AM

659 posts, read 351,726 times
You need to look around for another service.

I used to have the same problem as you. My service did just a mow-blow every two weeks and I had to do the bushes, weeding, everything else. Then a neighbor turned me on to their lawn service guy, which did it all either weekly or bi-weekly - my choice. He costs a bit more but is worth it for me never to have to do anything more than the occasional bit. He'll do the odd extra request if needed - like once removing a dead Rosemary bush.

I'm sure I'll have to pay extra for the fall/spring cleanup if I don't do it myself, but that's reasonable.

So look around for other services. They can vary greatly.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:13 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Quote:

Do You have a service?
oh wow - sounds messy

Maybe all that just needs to be redone. Nothing lasts forever. Might have to hire someone to redo the pavers. The best mulch I've used was cypress mulch. Anything else would let weeds come through. I used that in my tomato garden and never had weeds. I don't like that plastic or whatever stuff they put under mulch,

Old 09-12-2017, 11:38 AM

5,232 posts, read 3,007,646 times
In 1987 we bought a condo townhouse, I gave away the lawn mower and that ended my grounds keeping forever. Never again will I own a free standing house.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:36 PM

8,760 posts, read 10,832,098 times
We also moved to the condos (and out of the landscaping business) many years ago. During our SFH days, we got whatever yard service we specified... and paid for. Our condo landscaping service is no different: We tell them what services we want; they give us a price; we tell them to do it (or not) --- and we pay for the services when they are done.

If one pays for a mow and blow service with general sidewalk trimming, one has no reason to expect more. If one desires more services than they are getting, tell the lawn service company and ask for a price, before simply changing providers.

One could optionally hire a "Landscaping and Mind-reading Company," but, they would probably charge extra for mind-reading.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:44 PM

7,095 posts, read 3,456,394 times
In FL, I pay $120 month year-round for mowing, blowing and edging on a 10K sq. ft. lot. He does not trim landscaping plants or weed, etc. We still do that but it really doesn't take a lot of effort. Because there is lots of mowing in summers and less in winters, it averages $40 a mow most years. A neighbor pays someone by the 'mow' and she pays $40 a mow.

In Mexico, the lot is the same size, 10K feet. Extensive plants, mostly flowering year round. Lawn, too. Vines, orchids, lime and lemon trees, avocado trees, banana plants, (right now we have over 100 bananas ripening). Some of the cleanup/trimming of these plants/trees is complex and time-consuming. He also takes care of the large pool. I pay him 3,000 per month; US equiv. is $170. If I used a separate pool service, they charge 1,000 pesos a month, so in effect for the gardening, I am paying 2,000 pesos or $112 a month.

In Mexico because he is considered a household employee we are obligated to pay statutory Christmas bonuses and annual vacation pay. But the Spanish lessons are free

Old 09-12-2017, 04:30 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,372,876 times
Quote:

Do You have a service?
I have used a weekly lawn service for the past 20 years. At this time the cost is $35 per week, this includes mowing, edging and weed eating. Once per month they also pull the weed and/or use a weed killer. Since the company changes employees, occasionally I need to tell them what I expect. I also change service if I feel they are slacking off.

Tree and shrub trimming cost about $150 to $200 each time, usually only once per season. My wife’s rose bushes about 3 times at $25 each time. Mulch for the flower beds or planting cost extra.

I also have a weekly pool service that costs $140 per month.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:34 PM

3,090 posts, read 1,717,042 times
We live in the North East and don't plan on moving into a condo. So that option, and mind reading services, are out, I guess.
Thank you all for all the other helpful suggestions. I am posting here because I feel retirees take care of things differently than younger families, with strong bodies but more expenses, and growing children. We were there once and we never used a service. Our yard was what it was. But now our expenses, priorities, and limitations are different. We buy a lot more services than we did before and buy a lot less things.

I really like our service. They are professional, courteous, and have done other jobs for me and then billed me, like cutting down a fallen tree and moving it to the woods. He cuts for 4 of our neighbors including us. I have sent him an email expressing my concerns, so let's see. Sometimes I wonder if he reads them. If I catch him when he's is here he takes care of whatever he missed but it is hard since we may not be home. I think lawn and yard services are having difficulty retaining people. Our guy used to do the chemicals for the lawn and then dropped it one year. Now it is just cut and blow.

Quote:
I used to have the same problem as you. My service did just a mow-blow every two weeks and I had to do the bushes, weeding, everything else. Then a neighbor turned me on to their lawn service guy, which did it all either weekly or bi-weekly - my choice. He costs a bit more but is worth it for me never to have to do anything more than the occasional bit. He'll do the odd extra request if needed - like once removing a dead Rosemary bush.
I would like to find a service like that, who will trim the bushes and weed. I do a lot of that myself, with my husband hauling away the clipping, and it is a lot of work. I would rather sit in my porch and read :-) But I hate weeding and the maintenance. What do they call themselves, Landscapers or Lawn Service? If I change I will be more careful about precisely what I want done and getting a quote on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or