U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 07:10 AM

71,584 posts, read 71,730,589 times

Advertisements

200k here buys a studio apartment in a co-op in some nice area's and a 1 bedroom apartment in a coop iin a level below . a home is out of the question except in some ghetto .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 07:20 AM

1,362 posts, read 767,246 times
Housing Cost per Square Foot can vary widely even within the same Zip Code. Analyzing this data on a state-wide basis is a fool's errand. I hope Suzy Strutner didn't spend a big chunk of her workday gathering that information.

Those cost figures tell us nothing about the Kitchen, where a lot of the money can be spent (or wasted). The Bathroom count is also important -- are you getting 3 full baths for that cost? 2.5 ? or your basic 2-holer ??

This data doesn't even begin to account for the size and location of the homesite. Yeah, I'll declare it useless and get my housing cost data from a more reliable source than Yahoo or HuffPo.

Last edited by FiveLoaves; 09-14-2017 at 07:50 AM..

Old 09-14-2017, 07:28 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,579 posts, read 39,952,759 times
My tax assessor would like this data...(He probably uses it !... )

He dings me for $300/ SF valuation on something I built for $38 / sf.

So many variables... my property taxes on a place of equal cost basis and only 30 seconds up the road is 1/10th my primary home. (Different county, different schools, different assessor... same state)

Old 09-14-2017, 08:54 AM

18,529 posts, read 9,580,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
State by state housing costs are misleading. As a retiree in CA am I gonna live in San Jose where the median home price $1,000,000? A nice place to live. Or in the area I live, a nice place to live at a quarter of a house price. Property taxes are very low in CA. So many factors.
Yes but most people already know that prices in Bakersfield are far cheaper than prices in San Francisco for example. Agree Cali property taxes are on the lower side.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:52 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,766,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Interesting article.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/apos-big-...184833822.html

Cost of housing is a major factor for many in retirement.
Totally useless. I live in New York State. The averages factor in the entire state including Manhattan which is the most expensive place to live. You can't buy an apartment there for what a whole house would cost in my town. Heck, you could buy a historic 4,000 lakeside home for a fraction of what a 400 square foot apartment would cost in Manhattan.

Manhattan, NYC, Long Island, and the boroughs totally increase the average price. Meanwhile, they make up just a tiny portion of the entire state. Yes, half of the state's population lives there, but articles like these don't paint a true picture for the entire state. They don't even paint a true picture for NYC and the surrounding area because it's including farm country, forest country, and all the areas that make up the rest of the state.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:53 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,766,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
That's because it is comparing a city (DC) with a state (NY) that has a lot of rural areas upstate and to the west. If they compared DC with NYC, you might see them be closer together.
Exactly! You really do need to compare DC to NYC to get a true picture. Including the Finger Lakes, the Adirondacks, all the farm areas, small towns, and other cities really puts a major spin on the numbers.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:07 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,313,644 times
A county by county breakdown would be more accurate. Would be harder to show on one page. Totally agree on varying factors. Real estate is high here in Asheville- but cost of living, insurance, tax is low- at least for us. It does make for an interesting discussion. I'm sure that Florida's homeowner's insurance will skyrocket because of Irma. It was already high. Texas's also--and I'm sure it will be felt all over the country. Might change some cost of living balances.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:57 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,206,000 times
I wonder how much land factors in. Montana is pretty high up on the list. I wouldn't expect that. One factor I can think of is that lot size is likely going to be much larger in Montana than most other states.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:36 PM

564 posts, read 296,430 times
Quote:
State by state housing costs are misleading. As a retiree in CA am I gonna live in San Jose where the median home price $1,000,000? A nice place to live. Or in the area I live, a nice place to live at a quarter of a house price. Property taxes are very low in CA. So many factors.
Not necessarily. Mello-Roos was Sacramento's answer to Prop 13 as this newcomer sees it. I guess they're low for people who stayed in their homes as they appreciated from 40k to 800k. Still learning how it all works.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:41 PM

30,682 posts, read 49,449,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That data is kind of useless. ...
Quote:
State by state housing costs are misleading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
In my part of Hawaii, $200K gets you a pretty big house. Honolulu prices-- with the most houses and most people--throw off the average.

The whole thing is pretty useless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Totally useless. I live in New York State. The averages factor in the entire state including Manhattan which is the most expensive place to live. You can't buy an apartment there for what a whole house would cost in my town. Heck, you could buy a historic 4,000 lakeside home for a fraction of what a 400 square foot apartment would cost in Manhattan.
I agree.

Here in my state, there are two distinct realties / economies. Averaging them is insane. Nowhere does the average actualy apply.

We have one 40-mile radius circle, in a remote corner of the state, that is high priced and that has high taxes. For this hthread let us call this tiny little region 'Congressional District #1'

Then we have the remaining 95% of the state, which is low priced with low taxes.

There is no 'average' town. But this article wants to broadstroke paint the entire state as if this average exists? No. total rubbish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Takes and insurance costs should 1st be taken into consideration. Some states are ridiculously high in ppty taxes and makes it difficult for some retirees to maintain a decent lifestyle.
Around here it is not the state taxes, but municipal taxes.

In Maine and within CD #1 property taxes can be 10X what they are outside of CD #1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement