U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 11:10 PM

10,818 posts, read 8,067,156 times

Advertisements

Ridiculous article and link.
We moved to NW Arkansas last winter, happily paid $180 per sf, double the amount shown. Most houses in our area are going for even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 08:06 AM

23,592 posts, read 17,582,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
A county by county breakdown would be more accurate. Would be harder to show on one page. Totally agree on varying factors. Real estate is high here in Asheville- but cost of living, insurance, tax is low- at least for us. It does make for an interesting discussion. I'm sure that Florida's homeowner's insurance will skyrocket because of Irma. It was already high. Texas's also--and I'm sure it will be felt all over the country. Might change some cost of living balances.
If you're coming from NYC, of course Asheville is going to seem cheap, but it has some of the highest housing costs in the state, if not THE highest on average.

Groceries are outrageous, even more than here in northeast TN. Taxes are high compared to TN/SC. Gas is always more expensive in Asheville.

Cheaper than some places? Sure. Cheap objectively and especially by local wage standards? No.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:22 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,314,379 times
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If you're coming from NYC, of course Asheville is going to seem cheap, but it has some of the highest housing costs in the state, if not THE highest on average.

Groceries are outrageous, even more than here in northeast TN. Taxes are high compared to TN/SC. Gas is always more expensive in Asheville.

Cheaper than some places? Sure. Cheap objectively and especially by local wage standards? No.
I said for us it is cheaper. We are comfortably retired. Wages are not a factor. We are not 30 somethings. Our Medicare supplements cost half for the same coverage our retired friends in Florida pay. Real estate taxes are low. Food is not expensive. Though we spend a lot because we can and enjoy cooking as well as dining out. We never considered Tennessee or South Carolina. Quality of life was our main goal. There are many free and low cost enjoyable entertainment options. Great for retirees. You are seeing everything from your own narrow, young, perspective, and that is understandable. This is the retirement forum.

Cost of living

Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Groceries

Purchasing power

Last edited by Yac; 09-27-2017 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: Add

Old 09-16-2017, 05:51 PM

295 posts, read 316,011 times
Do the City data comparison

Old 09-16-2017, 06:30 PM

23,592 posts, read 17,582,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
I said for us it is cheaper. We are comfortably retired. Wages are not a factor. We are not 30 somethings. Our Medicare supplements cost half for the same coverage our retired friends in Florida pay. Real estate taxes are low. Food is not expensive. Though we spend a lot because we can and enjoy cooking as well as dining out. We never considered Tennessee or South Carolina. Quality of life was our main goal. There are many free and low cost enjoyable entertainment options. Great for retirees. You are seeing everything from your own narrow, young, perspective, and that is understandable. This is the retirement forum.

Cost of living

Groceries

Purchasing power
I'm not going to argue with you, but if you cannot determine that local wages for local residents dependent upon the local economy in Asheville are not out of line with the cost of living, I don't know what can be done to convince you. Asheville is becoming a mini San Francisco. I love Asheville, and I'll be there tomorrow. I'm a white collar professional. I'd probably need another 30%-50% in pay to go to Asheville from where I am a little more than an hour away in Tennessee. I wouldn't get anywhere near that kind of a raise. Yes, I should find something in Asheville as an ERP administrator for a hospital system.

Many people, especially conservatives, would dispute the QoL in Asheville. New construction for sq. ft/$ is going to be much more reasonable in northeast TN, upstate SC, or even in metro Charlotte.

Asheville is your personal preference and it has a lot of redeeming values for certain subsets of the population. Attributing its "high QoL" in a blanket and basically considering me ignorant based on my age are true hallmarks of immaturity and lack of depth in thought

Last edited by Yac; 09-27-2017 at 07:06 AM..

Old 09-16-2017, 10:18 PM

31,684 posts, read 19,984,454 times
We are 2nd to last, and moving to a state in the middle!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 09-16-2017, 10:34 PM

30,686 posts, read 49,462,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaimer View Post
The City-Data listing of towns starts with cities of 6,000 or greater [at least in my state it does], so the majority of towns are not included within that data set.

City-Data appears to only have a small minority of the cities represented.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I'm not going to argue with you, but if you cannot determine that local wages for local residents dependent upon the local economy in Asheville are not out of line with the cost of living, I don't know what can be done to convince you. Asheville is becoming a mini San Francisco. I love Asheville, and I'll be there tomorrow. I'm a white collar professional. I'd probably need another 30%-50% in pay to go to Asheville from where I am a little more than an hour away in Tennessee. I wouldn't get anywhere near that kind of a raise. Yes, I should find something in Asheville as an ERP administrator for a hospital system.

Many people, especially conservatives, would dispute the QoL in Asheville. New construction for sq. ft/$ is going to be much more reasonable in northeast TN, upstate SC, or even in metro Charlotte.

Asheville is your personal preference and it has a lot of redeeming values for certain subsets of the population. Attributing its "high QoL" in a blanket and basically considering me ignorant based on my age are true hallmarks of immaturity and lack of depth in thought
Never called you ignorant. I said that it was understandable that you feel the way you do at your stage of life. You are name calling and insulting. This post was not about you or young people trying to make a living. It was about average prices in different states that might be of interest to those considering moving in retirement.

I am not advocating Asheville for everyone. For those retirees who can afford it and enjoy the quality of life and lifestyle it is great. Northeast Tennessee will never compare to Asheville. Why even bring that up? I would never live in SC . And why in the world would I want to live in metro Charlotte, in all the traffic and summer heat, when I can be on my mountain, with a great peaceful view. We didn't choose a place to retire based on square footage price. I originally said that it was less expensive for us. And I know for a fact that it is less expensive for many of our friends.

Also I never said that you should move here or intimated that it was easy for the average young person to make a living here. You are personalizing it.

As I said before, this is the retirement forum. Not the Workplace and Employment Forum.

My exact words in the OP: Cost of housing is a major factor for many in retirement.

Last edited by funisart; 09-17-2017 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Add

Old 09-17-2017, 01:51 PM

7,264 posts, read 4,147,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaimer View Post
I take CD numbers with a grain of salt. According to CD, Bethel, Alaska cost of living index is 91.6, with the US average being 100. How someone ever came to that conclusion is beyond me. Milk is about $10 a gallon. Soda is $13.49 for a 12 pack. Housing is expensive. Utilities are expensive. Gas is expensive. There is nothing cheap about living in Bethel. The real cost of living index is somewhere around 133 and I would consider that a conservative estimate.

Old 09-17-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I'm not going to argue with you, but if you cannot determine that local wages for local residents dependent upon the local economy in Asheville are not out of line with the cost of living, I don't know what can be done to convince you. Asheville is becoming a mini San Francisco. I love Asheville, and I'll be there tomorrow. I'm a white collar professional. I'd probably need another 30%-50%
https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-l.../united-states

This cost of living index puts Asheville at 77 of 127 US cities. Not even in the top half. Yes most on the lists are the affluent highly populated coasts- to which you often refer.

Being highly populated would mean more retirees from those 70 other cities would find Asheville less expensive. Not necessarily cheap. Many of these retirees may also have a home that appreciated to the point that real estate prices are also not a factor.

Forbes says that Asheville is 3.3% below the national average cost of living. When you come from a city that is even moderately above the national average--Asheville would be less expensive.

https://www.forbes.com/places/nc/asheville/

Citi Data puts the cost of living index for Asheville at 93.9 - with US average at 100.

I really do not know how to explain it more clearly.

Last edited by funisart; 09-17-2017 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: Add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement