U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 09:43 AM

5,394 posts, read 21,390,738 times

Advertisements

I have seen numerous reports over the years that benefits continue to be paid after people are deceased so I thought I would report my recent experience.

My mother recently passed and even though the university that received her donated body said that they would notify social security her benefit was deposited the month after she passed. She was only alive for a few days the previous month so according to regulations this was not a valid payment.

After a couple of us tried without success to report her death by phone I suggested my brother drop by the SS office but he said it was crowded and he did not have time to wait in line... but he did notice a drop box for SS forms to be processed so he dropped a copy of her death certificate in the slot. That night the SS funds were transferred out of her bank account.

Apparently all we need is responsible citizens to stop most bogus payments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 09:49 AM

9,126 posts, read 17,129,667 times
Generally its the funeral homes or coroner/medical examiner, that notify SSA,

Since you mom remains were donated, That step got missed, since guessing she skipped the movement from X to the university

Old 09-14-2017, 09:55 AM

7,096 posts, read 3,457,793 times
Usually the funeral home, but also the State Depts. of Health that issue the Death Certificates ALWAYS notify SS. At the most the lag time is a few weeks. Usually less. That dead people are still getting SS is an old wive's tale.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:17 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Usually the funeral home, but also the State Depts. of Health that issue the Death Certificates ALWAYS notify SS. At the most the lag time is a few weeks. Usually less. That dead people are still getting SS is an old wive's tale.
yes - if he was issued a death certificate - that should have taken care of it.

Now try to take them off of the voter's list is something else. You hear these stories and wonder. My sister has been trying to get her hubby off the rolls for some time. He still shows up - not to vote of course -lol.

I should go check on my mom's voting status.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:12 PM

My FIL died in late 2015 in Virginia. We got a notification from Voter Registrar within 2 months that they were removing him from rolls. Lots more computers nowadays talking to each other.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
yes - if he was issued a death certificate - that should have taken care of it.

Now try to take them off of the voter's list is something else. You hear these stories and wonder. My sister has been trying to get her hubby off the rolls for some time. He still shows up - not to vote of course -lol.

I should go check on my mom's voting status.
Even though there may not have been a funeral home involved in the OP's case, I'm sure the University would not accept a donated body without a Death Certificate.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:18 PM

31,988 posts, read 36,621,015 times
Reminds me of the ID Channel story of the lady who died in her sleep on the couch. Her sister wrapped her body in newspapers and sealed off the room.

She continued to collect her SS payments for many years. They did not find the mummified body until the 2nd sister died.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:31 PM

3,373 posts, read 3,782,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Reminds me of the ID Channel story of the lady who died in her sleep on the couch. Her sister wrapped her body in newspapers and sealed off the room.

She continued to collect her SS payments for many years. They did not find the mummified body until the 2nd sister died.
Saw that episode too.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:41 PM

2,952 posts, read 1,636,421 times
^^^ did they not wonder why she wasn't using medicare?

I love dead body and murder shows. Hubs says something is wrong with me.

Very sorry I missed this show.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:53 PM

9,126 posts, read 17,129,667 times
SSA Does cross check medicare records when a SSA recipient is over a certain age (?90?), No records of any medical claims They then begin the verification process. To "Ensure" the person is still living.

There was a case in Florida few years ago where two sisters, One died, Second sister continued to collect SSA on dead sister account for 10 or 15 years. She even used her sisters Medicare card few times a year to generate activity. When the second sister died, they found the first sister in a freezer in the garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or