U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 01:47 PM

71,593 posts, read 71,751,865 times

Advertisements

that at least was almost good news compared to all the other issues lol .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 02:05 PM

29,782 posts, read 34,871,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
As well as can be expected, I suppose. I begin my 5th cycle of chemo next week. As if these last few months haven't been bad enough, I got a little added surprise this morning when my dermatologist's office called to inform me that I have melanoma on my scalp. The good news just keeps on coming, lol.
Sorry my friend all prayers and hopes for your recovery

Old 09-29-2017, 05:21 PM

20,569 posts, read 16,637,575 times
Quote:
I finally made it back to our house, so I can answer your questions for you.

How old were you when you purchased it?

I purchased the policy in 2008 at the age of 52. This was a little earlier than I normally would have purchased LTCi, but the Federal Judiciary was rolling out a new LTCi program and employees were offered a one-time-only opportunity to enroll without regard to medical history or condition.

What is your premium?

$1,494/year

What does it pay for (in $ amounts), and for how long?

100% of the eligible expense per day of nursing home care or alternate care facility, not to exceed $340 per day. The current lifetime maximum benefit is $621,000 (5 years).

100% of the eligible expense per day of community based care (e.g., at home), not to exceed $255 per day.

Other Benefits

Hospice Care Facility Benefit: 100% of expenses incurred, not to exceed $340/day.
Emergency Alert System Benefit: 100% of actual expense incurred, not to exceed $255/month.
Caregiver Training Benefit: The actual expense or $765, whichever is less.
Caregiver Benefit (e.g. family member): $85 per day not to exceed $2,550 per year.
Temporary Bed Holding Benefit: 21 days
Guaranteed Benefit Increase: Option to purchase increased benefits amounting to at least 5% compounded annually since last offer.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
That's awesome, I'd get it in a second if I could get that deal, good for you for jumping on it. I hope your situation improves, hang in there.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:51 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,848,939 times
Quote:
As well as can be expected, I suppose. I begin my 5th cycle of chemo next week. As if these last few months haven't been bad enough, I got a little added surprise this morning when my dermatologist's office called to inform me that I have melanoma on my scalp. The good news just keeps on coming, lol.
Thoughts and prayers to you my friend. Hope all will get better.

Old 10-01-2017, 03:47 PM

2,498 posts, read 6,393,913 times
I am 84 married 62 years with annuity and healthcare ins and limited money,all of this ends at my death and wife will be on S.S. and medicare.
What I have done with a 100 per cent reputable funeral home is to prepay funeral expenses for burial in Veteran's Cemetary for wife and I.
The money goes to an ins.co and is invested in safe market,not wall street.She will have this much protection and as I live on the money from S.S. and annuity will replace this money.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:32 AM

6,884 posts, read 7,284,046 times
I know this dates back to last year, but please help educate me about the process...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My mom is in an assisted living facility that has a policy stating you can stay and live there on Medicaid only after you've paid privately for 18 months. Now she gets a bill for over $10,000 a month (she didn't private pay that much, she was more independent until recently and her care level was lower) and I have to send them $1100 a month, with Medicaid filling the gaps (I don't think they get the entire bill amount though).
If mom is on Medicaid why is she getting billed, with you paying the difference?
Is it because mom is in Assisted Living and not a nursing care facility.

I thought after the spend down Medicaid deals with the facility where its compensation is concerned.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:34 AM

5,784 posts, read 4,838,667 times
My mom spent her last 3 weeks in a Medicare/medicaid nursing home. It was awful, substandard care, but that was the only place that would take her for the amount that medicaid would pay. All the other places that took a limited number of medicaid patients refused her, saying that her level of care was too much for the money. None of us kids could care for her, because we/spouses all worked and had mortgages to pay. We couldn't even contribute $$ or they would take away her medicaid. The help there was mostly all CNA's and orderlies. Unfortunately most didn't speak English well enough to understand the doctor's written orders, or to be able to relate problems she was experiencing to the RN or the doctor. My brother and I had to visit at least twice a day to ensure that even the minimal care required was being done. In the end one of us was there round the clock to supervise her care (thank you FMLA!).

Because of my mom's experience, and that of a friend diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's, I decided to get LTCi when I was young enough for it to be cheap. It's increased a couple times, but costs are now stable. My DH is 5 years older, and I will always care for him at home, with the help of aids if necessary, if he gets sick. We will make budget adjustments (downsize, etc) if necessary to cover those costs. He has a few more medical concerns than I, and I feel that he will probably go first, but at any rate I feel we are covered. My LTCi covers in-home care up to the same cost level as NH care, so even if I get sick first, I will have in-home care for myself, and NH later if needed.

eta: oops, I just realized this is a really old thread, and I already related this story. My bad.

Last edited by TheShadow; 09-24-2018 at 09:56 AM..

Old 09-24-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I know this dates back to last year, but please help educate me about the process...

If mom is on Medicaid why is she getting billed, with you paying the difference?

I thought after the spend down Medicaid deals with the facility where its compensation is concerned.
Medicaid may take over the entire financial picture if there's no POA or family, but with family they still get a bill from the facility, Medicaid pays a portion and we pay a portion. She gets to keep $40 a month. My mom's SS check and pension check still get direct-deposited into her bank account, Medicaid doesn't have access to her bank accounts. If I weren't around, I am not sure where the SS check and pension check would be desposited, or how she'd get her $40.00, I guess either the home or the state directly. Regardless it requires surrendering all income minus $40.00 a month.

Every year, we have to go through a reassessment, where I send Medicaid her last year's bank statements (make sure there is NEVER more than $2000 in accounts, even for a few days), her new SS statement stating how much she'll receive each month (it goes up each year), then they send me a letter telling me how much I have to pay the facility for 2019 (all her income again minus $40)

Old 09-24-2018, 11:35 AM

149 posts, read 54,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

It reads
My mom is in an assisted living facility that has a policy stating you can stay and live there on Medicaid only after you've paid privately for 18 months.

It goes onto to say they haven't paid that much. Meaning if the cost of the assisted living is 5K a month x 18 months= $90K so they haven't paid 90K yet so are still paying out of
pocket until they hit 90k in order for her to be allowed to live there.

She qualifies for full medicaid to cover the bill but with that requirement of 90K (
private payments for 18 months at whatever rate) they must meet that 90K still if she wants to remain in the same facility. This is how I understood it.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeFelicia. View Post
It reads
My mom is in an assisted living facility that has a policy stating you can stay and live there on Medicaid only after you've paid privately for 18 months.

It goes onto to say they haven't paid that much. Meaning if the cost of the assisted living is 5K a month x 18 months= $90K so they haven't paid 90K yet so are still paying out of
pocket until they hit 90k in order for her to be allowed to live there.

She qualifies for full medicaid to cover the bill but with that requirement of 90K (
private payments for 18 months at whatever rate) they must meet that 90K still if she wants to remain in the same facility. This is how I understood it.
That's not the case at all. ALL people on Medicaid LTC regardless of where they are, whether nursing home or assisted living must surrender all their income minus $40 (that amount may vary by state, but it's about that everywhere).

Assisted living and nursing homes are private, they each set their own policies. Some won't take Medicaid at all. Some will take Medicaid right away. Some will take it after you have paid privately for 2 years. My mother paid $4400 a month privately for close to 3 years (the stock market had gone up right before we cashed it out). But when we signed the admission papers, their minimum was 18 months. Since then, her care level has increased, that is why it's so much more now. The amount she pays toward it has not changed at all, expect for whatever raise she got from Social Security gets added to the figure.

There is NO nursing home or assisted living, or any Medicaid facility of any type, that does not require surrendering your income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or