U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 12:02 PM

31,071 posts, read 13,598,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Medicaid may take over the entire financial picture if there's no POA or family, but with family they still get a bill from the facility, Medicaid pays a portion and we pay a portion. She gets to keep $40 a month. My mom's SS check and pension check still get direct-deposited into her bank account, Medicaid doesn't have access to her bank accounts. If I weren't around, I am not sure where the SS check and pension check would be desposited, or how she'd get her $40.00, I guess either the home or the state directly. Regardless it requires surrendering all income minus $40.00 a month.

Every year, we have to go through a reassessment, where I send Medicaid her last year's bank statements (make sure there is NEVER more than $2000 in accounts, even for a few days), her new SS statement stating how much she'll receive each month (it goes up each year), then they send me a letter telling me how much I have to pay the facility for 2019 (all her income again minus $40)
Yep, that's how it works some LTC facilities require that they be made the representative payee but that's a lousy idea because if the patient is moved to a new facility it can really gum up the works during the time it takes to change the payee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 01:07 PM

149 posts, read 54,682 times
Quote:
That's not the case at all. ALL people on Medicaid LTC regardless of where they are, whether nursing home or assisted living must surrender all their income minus $40 (that amount may vary by state, but it's about that everywhere).[/quote
I am not sure what you are disputing.
Assisted living homes are private. If they CHOOSE to require a certain time period of private pay before transitioning one to medicaid, even if they qualify for medicaid on that day, I believe that is their right.

[quote Assisted living and nursing homes are private, they each set their own policies. Some won't take Medicaid at all. Some will take Medicaid right away. Some will take it after you have paid privately for 2 years. My mother paid $4400 a month privately for close to 3 years (the stock market had gone up right before we cashed it out). But when we signed the admission papers, their minimum was 18 months. Since then, her care level has increased, that is why it's so much more now. The amount she pays toward it has not changed at all, expect for whatever raise she got from Social Security gets added to the figure.

There is NO nursing home or assisted living, or any Medicaid facility of any type, that does not require surrendering your income.
I am not sure why you are reiterating what I said.

You must follow the guidelines per the facility.

If they require private pay for x amount of months before accepting you as a medicaid patient then you must comply with that time period and payment level. That is how I understand it

Yes your moms care rate increased along with her increasing needs but that is beside the point

Old 09-24-2018, 01:35 PM

20,565 posts, read 16,631,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeFelicia. View Post
I am not sure why you are reiterating what I said.

You must follow the guidelines per the facility.

If they require private pay for x amount of months before accepting you as a medicaid patient then you must comply with that time period and payment level. That is how I understand it

Yes your moms care rate increased along with her increasing needs but that is beside the point

It has nothing to do with the yearly rate though. I guess I was confused with the $90,000 figure. There was no figure we had to hit. I thought you were saying the reason we have to pay using her SS check and pension is because we didn't reach a certain figure.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:42 PM

71,584 posts, read 71,751,865 times
Quote:
That's not the case at all. ALL people on Medicaid LTC regardless of where they are, whether nursing home or assisted living must surrender all their income minus $40 (that amount may vary by state, but it's about that everywhere).

Assisted living and nursing homes are private, they each set their own policies. Some won't take Medicaid at all. Some will take Medicaid right away. Some will take it after you have paid privately for 2 years. My mother paid $4400 a month privately for close to 3 years (the stock market had gone up right before we cashed it out). But when we signed the admission papers, their minimum was 18 months. Since then, her care level has increased, that is why it's so much more now. The amount she pays toward it has not changed at all, expect for whatever raise she got from Social Security gets added to the figure.

There is NO nursing home or assisted living, or any Medicaid facility of any type, that does not require surrendering your income.

unless you have a state partnership plan for ltc like we have . when the insurance runs out all assets are protected 100% and a special version of medicaid created for the partnership plans pays the bills

Old 09-24-2018, 07:49 PM

6,884 posts, read 7,281,254 times
Quote:
Medicaid may take over the entire financial picture if there's no POA or family, but with family they still get a bill from the facility, Medicaid pays a portion and we pay a portion.
Thanks, ocnjgirl. I know you'd help take care of mom's finances anyway. But does your mom's state have a filial responsibility law? So I suppose it's not the case of the state "making" you chip in for mom's care. I didn't know "family" still gets a bill from the facility.

Suppose the only "family" would be siblings or nieces/nephews. Even if one of them would be POA, if the elder is spent down, I don't think sibs can be forced to pay for a person's care. Whether they're POA or not. If the elder has no money, they have no money. That's why they're on Medicaid in the first place.

Also, I read your post quite clear -- you said mom had already paid longer than the minimum 18 months.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Thanks, ocnjgirl. I know you'd help take care of mom's finances anyway. But does your mom's state have a filial responsibility law? So I suppose it's not the case of the state "making" you chip in for mom's care. I didn't know "family" still gets a bill from the facility.

Suppose the only "family" would be siblings or nieces/nephews. Even if one of them would be POA, if the elder is spent down, I don't think sibs can be forced to pay for a person's care. Whether they're POA or not. If the elder has no money, they have no money. That's why they're on Medicaid in the first place.

Also, I read your post quite clear -- you said mom had already paid longer than the minimum 18 months.
Yes we had to continue to pay until she was spent down to $2000 and qualified for Medicaid. I do not think we have a familial law in New Jersey. Medicaid does not make family pay here. I get the entire bill from the facility. Every month I get a bill for about $9400 or so, and I send them a check for 1700.00, which is my moms current SS and pension minus $40.00. No they would not make nieces and nephews pay. However they would require that person Social Security and any other income check minus $40.00.

No one thing I forgot to mention, is that she was supposed to have a roommate when she went on to Medicaid. They told us that in the very beginning. However shes now been there on Medicaid for about three years and its never been brought up. Im certainly not going to!

Old 09-24-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
unless you have a state partnership plan for ltc like we have . when the insurance runs out all assets are protected 100% and a special version of medicaid created for the partnership plans pays the bills
I have never heard of that is it available in all states? How does it work? What insurance do you mean? Do you mean Medicare in a skilled nursing facility?

Old 09-25-2018, 02:26 AM

just about every state has partnership plans . but the terms vary . new york has 100% asset protection and income protection as a perk in their state partnership plans .

so you take what appears to be a normal long term care plan , in this case it gives us 3 years in a skilled nursing facility or 6 years in home or assisted living care .

once the insurance runs out a special version of medicaid takes over all bills .

unlike regular medicaid which has both asset and income requirements , this has none .there is no spend down , no income limit for the stay at home spouse and no look back .

most states do not have total asset protection , they use a dollar for a dollar plan which is cheaper , ny offers that type too .

if medicaid spends a dollar , you get a dollar protected in assets .so if medicaid spends 200k then 200k is protected .

the plans are not cheap though . but the dollar for dollar ones are cheaper than total asset .

remember ,this does not happen with regular ltc insurance , only if you buy a partnership plan .

https://nyspltc.health.ny.gov/expansion.htm

Old 09-25-2018, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

29 states have filial laws which make the kids responsible for the parents medicaid bills . they just don't usually enforce them .except in PA they just did in kind of a unique situation .

https://www.elderlawanswers.com/son-...ility-law-9873

Old 09-25-2018, 05:39 AM

6,884 posts, read 7,281,254 times
ocnjgirl, Oh I think I'm totally clear now. I misread something. When you said:
Quote:
and I have to send them $1100 a month, with Medicaid filling the gaps (I don't think they get the entire bill amount though).
...I thought you meant YOU personally out of your OWN funds were sending the facility money to make up some difference. But you meant you were sending your mom's money (the Soc. Sec. -$40.00). That makes sense.

But this has helped me get clear on some of the process. I thought the family HAD to sign over the Soc Sec. with it going right to the facility (with the facility "keeping on account" the amount the elder is allowed to keep.)

But I do see that it CAN be arranged so the POA still gets the check and sends the facility the required amount. And I DO SEE that IF the elder for some reason had to be moved to another facility, that payment arrangement would certainly be "less complicated" money wise. Who knows how long it could take the Soc Sec amount to be "re-routed" to the new facility. God forbid the old facility is still being paid, and the new one isn't....sure it would eventually be straightened out. But why even set up that "glitch" as a possibility.

I know I'd much prefer your way. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or