U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 02:30 PM

677 posts, read 841,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
While your mom's money can only be used for her from now on, Medicaid is not going to deduct small amounts she gave you for gas or gifts. My mom always gave checks to her grandchildren for holidays and birthdays, you won't get penalized for that as long as they are under $500.00. The only things they required explanations for were any amounts over $500.00. I'd send the statements, then the lawyer would e-mail me "What was check number 334 for $830 for on June 11, 2012? They didn't even ask about lesser amounts let alone deduct them. My mom was approved with no delays in payment.

One thing I did when my mom was spending down, was buy her gift cards for stores like Walmart or Target, and her grocery store. This way when she needed new clothes, or Depends, or the Lubriderm lotion she likes, I could order it for her without having to cover the cost. Now they are long gone, and I have to pay when she calls me and asks to have some groceries delivered (she likes to have bread, cheese, peanut butter, crackers, etc) or to tell me she's out of vitamins or face lotion. I can't really afford it either, but I can't bring myself to tell her she can't (she calls and asks me in a little mouse voice "Am I allowed to get some groceries?".

We also bought her a lift recliner during the spend down, which is good to have even in a nursing home.
What a great idea about the gift cards. I wonder, though, if some caseworkers in different states look at things differently. My attorney said anything over $100 gets scrutinized. Plus, never thinking wed need Medicaid, when we first moved mom to my state, I paid all of her bills with MY checking account and then I transferred the money I used monthly from her account to mine. Made it easier for me. Its all documented and easily proven what checks, etc were written for her but by me through my account. Unfortunately, Medicaid is not happy that I did that. Obviously causing much more work for their review. In retrospect, foolish on my part, but who knew Id be going through this??!

My mom does have a recliner but its another great idea. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 02:55 PM

20,643 posts, read 16,680,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
What a great idea about the gift cards. I wonder, though, if some caseworkers in different states look at things differently. My attorney said anything over $100 gets scrutinized. Plus, never thinking wed need Medicaid, when we first moved mom to my state, I paid all of her bills with MY checking account and then I transferred the money I used monthly from her account to mine. Made it easier for me. Its all documented and easily proven what checks, etc were written for her but by me through my account. Unfortunately, Medicaid is not happy that I did that. Obviously causing much more work for their review. In retrospect, foolish on my part, but who knew Id be going through this??!

My mom does have a recliner but its another great idea. Thank you
I don't know, maybe states have different regs. I have always heard the $500 number and that was ours. Yes, I did the same thing, but not on purpose. When I first took over my mom's bills, I opened an account for her at my bank and switched her checking to that one. But on the bank's bill pay page, I would sometimes forget to change the account the bill was being paid from to hers with the drop down menu. When I realized I paid her bill from my account, I transferred the money back over. I don't recall getting questioned about it (although I wrote the lawyer right away each time) but I don't think any of the amounts were over $500.00.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:52 PM

170 posts, read 128,795 times
My 94 year old blind, wheelchair bound sister in law has been on Medicaid for one year.

She has been living at a Home run by a Catholic religious Sisters who work with the elderly indigent.

They are taking magnificent care of her - tending her constantly as we recently found out she has stage IV cancer. Imagine if she were still in her old apt hotel home - all by herself all day.

She is an independent person - really had to work hard to get her to move. So glad she is there. Their policy is you only leave when God calls you home.

Old 09-29-2018, 02:08 PM

2,130 posts, read 732,612 times
I haven't read this whole discussion but this is an example of why I don't plan to depend on the taxpayers (i.e. Medicaid) to pay for my LTC.

Sick, dying and raped in America

I'm glad to know from some of these posts that there are places that provide good care to people on Medicaid but I want to be in a position to make a choice and I sure don't want my son (only child) and DIL to be forced into caregiving because I can't afford to pay for care. It's also a reason I am VERY reluctant to remarry (widowed 2 years ago). If the guy's LTC plan is "Qualify for Medicaid", that's a dealbreaker since it means I'd be on the hook for his expenses.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:09 PM

2,441 posts, read 1,677,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I haven't read this whole discussion but this is an example of why I don't plan to depend on the taxpayers (i.e. Medicaid) to pay for my LTC.

Sick, dying and raped in America

I'm glad to know from some of these posts that there are places that provide good care to people on Medicaid but I want to be in a position to make a choice and I sure don't want my son (only child) and DIL to be forced into caregiving because I can't afford to pay for care. It's also a reason I am VERY reluctant to remarry (widowed 2 years ago). If the guy's LTC plan is "Qualify for Medicaid", that's a dealbreaker since it means I'd be on the hook for his expenses.
Unfortunately, according to the article, sexual abuse of the elderly happens not only in the Medicaid wings, but in the expensive private pay areas too. Not a comforting thought when believing enough money or having LTC will make a difference.

This was extremely bad timing to come across this article. I’ve spent the last few days with my Mom in her highly-rated, private pay, memory care wing where I felt she was not only well cared for, but safe.

Last edited by jean_ji; 09-29-2018 at 06:28 PM..

Old 09-29-2018, 06:30 PM

149 posts, read 54,897 times
I wonder how people who take RMD's once a year spend down to medicaid.
I mean technically if you were to take the required RMD of $5000 that year
then spend down to $1999
Then that month you wouldn't qualify for Medicaid so you private pay for the nursing home fee.
Maybe even using your RMD's to do it.
Then the following month you qualify, eh?
RMD's appear to be a confusing issue regarding medicaid spend downs.
I understand as long as RMD's are taken, then the balance is not counted like it would be if in a bank acct

Old 09-29-2018, 07:49 PM

20,643 posts, read 16,680,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeFelicia. View Post
then spend down to $1999
Then that month you wouldn't qualify for Medicaid so you private pay for the nursing home fee.
I understand as long as RMD's are taken, then the balance is not counted like it would be if in a bank acct
I do t think they do it like that, month to month. They do t keep track of your accounts each month nor know how much you have.

You have to be recertified once per year. You get a letter and send them bank statements, new SS amount letter, letter from pension holder stating what next years amount will be, and any other source of income. If you had more than $2000 in assets 6 of the months, they’d have you reimburse the state but I don’t know if it would be for that month or the year. They could terminate your Medicaid as well (my moms came within days of being terminated cause they misaddressed the recert letter, and if not for my moms health care case manger who emailed me to ask if I knew, my mom would be homeless!) if they terminate you you have to reapply, which is a pain. Like I said it’s yearly not month by month.

Once they recert you they base the amount of your care you are responsible for on what your income and assets were last year and will be this year, as well. If they expect your income to be $60,000 I can’t imagine they continue to pay for the next year.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 09-29-2018 at 08:03 PM..

Old 09-30-2018, 02:29 AM

71,798 posts, read 71,896,917 times
Quote:
then spend down to $1999

if an ira is not in payout mode meaning having rmd's taken then the ira has to be cashed in and spent down in order to qualify for medicaid in the first place.

if you are taking rmd' then the draw is considered income and the balance exempt . each state has a small amount of income you are allowed . the rest gets turned over to medicaid.

so in either case you can't make much use of them .

in fact you don't have to wait until rmd's , you can put your ira in pay out mode at 59-1/2 if you elect periodic distributions

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-30-2018 at 03:07 AM..

Old 09-30-2018, 01:31 PM

149 posts, read 54,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if an ira is not in payout mode meaning having rmd's taken then the ira has to be cashed in and spent down in order to qualify for medicaid in the first place.

if you are taking rmd' then the draw is considered income and the balance exempt . each state has a small amount of income you are allowed . the rest gets turned over to medicaid.

so in either case you can't make much use of them .

in fact you don't have to wait until rmd's , you can put your ira in pay out mode at 59-1/2 if you elect periodic distributions
Needing medicaid at age 59.5 seems unlikely but anything is possible. Good to know !

One of our employees is 78
She walks swiftly to -and/or- from work most of the year
Very productive lady compared to others
Most get fired @70-75 but they slow way down
I suspect, my working p/t until age 80, is realistic
I cannot stay home with my husband 24/7
NO WAY
Need to work that 24 hr shift (6 hrs of sleep, usually included)
Emergencies occur sometimes so you are on call that 6 hrs
Job is easy, but you need the temperament.
God takes and gives life so I try to keep that perspective
when things go awry

We eat better than my 78 yr old co worker
paleo diet & exercise pretty hard
My working until 80 seems do-able
cycling gaining 2-3K in elevation
2-2.5 hrs about 3x a week

At least $500 a mo. can be "spent down" w/california medicaid /medi-cal
Wondering if it can be more than $500??
That is the KEY QUESTION
Cannot locate it online anywhere
Not even in the official DDS manuals I have downloaded
For now, it appears I fore-go my SS check forever

Our rate today is $80 each per month for healthcare sharing ministry
Yet $120 a piece saved for healthcare sharing ministry in retirement. inflation factored in
should be covered well
Old folks at church have done well with the healthcare sharing ministry
with their part b & a F plan
EVEN when entering a nursing home
All said they never had to touch their IRAs b
BUT...
healthcare sharing ministry doesn't cover LTC longer than 1 yr
Beyond 1 yr
they'd need to spend down their retirement accounts
to qualify for medicaid LTC

Leaving $1200 month SS on the table forever
might delay the SS Fund running dry
Unlikely we'll need LTC anyhow but will have it covered
for 1 yr 3 months.
then we're likely screwed as our retirement account will be spent down
oh well, such is life.
Average stay in a nursing home is 2.5 yrs, I believe

Last edited by ByeFelicia.; 09-30-2018 at 01:45 PM..

Old 09-30-2018, 02:00 PM

677 posts, read 841,836 times
Quote:
then spend down to $1999

Has to be cashed out prior to qualifying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or