U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 02:06 PM

9,571 posts, read 10,917,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
Not going to a nursing home in Florida...that is my plan...
Or New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 02:17 PM

20,545 posts, read 16,611,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Or New Orleans.
Or Houston. I took a temp assignment there once and if that facility had been in NJ, the state would have closed it down. Higher taxes do have some benefits.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:33 PM

149 posts, read 54,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I do t think they do it like that, month to month. They do t keep track of your accounts each month nor know how much you have.

You have to be recertified once per year. You get a letter and send them bank statements, new SS amount letter, letter from pension holder stating what next years amount will be, and any other source of income. If you had more than $2000 in assets 6 of the months, they’d have you reimburse the state but I don’t know if it would be for that month or the year. They could terminate your Medicaid as well (my moms came within days of being terminated cause they misaddressed the recert letter, and if not for my moms health care case manger who emailed me to ask if I knew, my mom would be homeless!) if they terminate you you have to reapply, which is a pain. Like I said it’s yearly not month by month.

Once they recert you they base the amount of your care you are responsible for on what your income and assets were last year and will be this year, as well. If they expect your income to be $60,000 I can’t imagine they continue to pay for the next year.
So glad your moms caseworker was on it
I don't believe they normally monitor that stuff
usually noticing after the fact.
Caseloads are often very high

Thanks for the information about re-certification.
Every year being re-certified is better than every month, though.
I didn't realize they ask for copies of last years taxes.
And Taking 6K in RMD's once a year is much different than 60K a yr.
Our son battled schizophrenia in College while trying to become a physical therapist.
Has a good job, a bachelors & three AA degrees but we are afraid it will re-surface.
He stayed with us all last week
You'd never know he was ever ill
He appeared just fine, thank Goodness
He's only gotten better and appears to be over the hump
It was so scary
We want a retirement account to be set up for him to inherit
He could get sick again
His uncle was a full blown, really bad schizo.
Often on our Counties Most Wanted List.

After paying for the healthcare sharing ministry,
and medicare coverage, I doubt we'll ever utilize Medicaid.
but since it has that retro-active feature
if you would've qualified when the medical emergency occured
they can back date to cover the incident
Healthcare Sharing ministry doesn't cover LTC except the first year.
And it must be related to a particular medical incident. Up to 1 million per yr
Since none of us can predict the future, attempts to plan accordingly must suffice.

Your mother has a wonderful daughter. Good on you.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianstad View Post
My 94 year old blind, wheelchair bound sister in law has been on Medicaid for one year.
She has been living at a Home run by a Catholic religious Sisters who work with the elderly indigent.
They are taking magnificent care of her - tending her constantly as we recently found out she has stage IV cancer. Imagine if she were still in her old apt hotel home - all by herself all day.
She is an independent person - really had to work hard to get her to move. So glad she is there. Their policy is you only leave when God calls you home.
I would be on the lookout for signs of sexual abuse with the Nuns, just in case.
There is often a reason someone will go against nature and become celibate
Since it isn't what the bible teaches, anywhere
The Movie Sister Sister chronicles sexual abuse for many decades with the Nuns
It's rampid
Like the priests
Glad she is being taken care of so well
And won't need to worry about ever leaving her home

Old 09-30-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeFelicia. View Post
So glad your moms caseworker was on it
I don't believe they normally monitor that stuff
usually noticing after the fact.
Caseloads are often very high

Thanks for the information about re-certification.
Every year being re-certified is better than every month, though.
I didn't realize they ask for copies of last years taxes.
And Taking 6K in RMD's once a year is much different than 60K a yr.
Our son battled schizophrenia in College while trying to become a physical therapist.
Has a good job, a bachelors & three AA degrees but we are afraid it will re-surface.
He stayed with us all last week
You'd never know he was ever ill
He appeared just fine, thank Goodness
He's only gotten better and appears to be over the hump
It was so scary
We want a retirement account to be set up for him to inherit
He could get sick again
His uncle was a full blown, really bad schizo.
Often on our Counties Most Wanted List.

After paying for the healthcare sharing ministry,
and medicare coverage, I doubt we'll ever utilize Medicaid.
but since it has that retro-active feature
if you would've qualified when the medical emergency occured
they can back date to cover the incident
Healthcare Sharing ministry doesn't cover LTC except the first year.
And it must be related to a particular medical incident. Up to 1 million per yr
Since none of us can predict the future, attempts to plan accordingly must suffice.

Your mother has a wonderful daughter. Good on you.

Thank you! I hope the best for your son and yourselves as well. I misread your post, I thought you meant $5000 every other month LOL.

Even though my mother a small pension has been the exact same amount to the penny since she retired decades ago, and all the bank statements show the same amount deposited throughout the years each month, they still want a letter from the pension company for some reason this year stating that the amount won’t change��

Old 09-30-2018, 02:47 PM

[quote=ocnjgirl;53235480]Thank you! I hope the best for your son and yourselves as well. I misread your post, I thought you meant $5000 every other month LOL.

Even though my mother’s small pension has been the exact same amount to the penny since she retired decades ago, and all the bank statements show the same amount deposited throughout the years each month, they still want a letter from the pension company for some reason this year stating that the amount won’t change. Very silly, and a PITA. We also closed a savings account that she had this year and they want a letter from the bank stating that the account was closed. And now I have to do all this in a rush, since I didn’t get the letter and it was supposed to be done by end of September.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Thank you! I hope the best for your son and yourselves as well. I misread your post, I thought you meant $5000 every other month LOL.

Even though my mother a small pension has been the exact same amount to the penny since she retired decades ago, and all the bank statements show the same amount deposited throughout the years each month, they still want a letter from the pension company for some reason this year stating that the amount won’t change��
Interesting.

Aside from a possible COLA increase, or a spousal death, I didn't know pension amounts could change.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Interesting.

Aside from a possible COLA increase, or a spousal death, I didn't know pension amounts could change.
I am assuming that a lot of government, state, school district, cop and other Union pensions were designed to provide cost-of-living increases back in the day.

I think a lot of people think that once you qualify for Medicaid, your home free. Not the case obviously. If you get a $50 a month cost-of-living increase in your pension, then your responsibility to the facility that year will just go up by $50 a month. The amount you’re allowed to keep each month doesn’t change.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 09-30-2018 at 03:07 PM..

Old 09-30-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I am assuming that a lot of government, state, school district, cop and other Union pensions were designed to provide cost-of-living increases back in the day.

I think a lot of people think that once you qualify for Medicaid, your home free. Not the case obviously. If you get a $50 a month cost-of-living increase in your pension, then your responsibility to the facility that year will just go up by $50 a month. The amount you’re allowed to keep each month doesn’t change.
Such great info It appears a spend down is a ton of work. Not easy at all.

At some point, they may also cut medicaid to where the level of care is dismal.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Such great info It appears a spend down is a ton of work. Not easy at all.

At some point, they may also cut medicaid to where the level of care is dismal.
Yes it will be harder than it already is to get a bed in any place let alone a nice one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or