Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 07:43 AM

708 posts, read 720,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfire View Post
Well, I may be one of the "fools" addressed in this thread. My DH developed dementia at a very early age....long before retirement age. So here we are 14 yrs later and DH has absolutely no medical issues. He will probably outlive me by 10 yrs. So long term care in a memory unit will be $80k per year for 10 yrs....guess he will end up in a medicaid facility. Does that mean we are stupid? Or that we should have divorced (49+yrs) or that I should somehow become super old lady and handle this 235 lb dementia man? Those of you who have had breaks in life go your way, good for you. But sometimes we fools need a little help from the "old U.S. government."

Your situation is exactly where the government should help, not to people that hide their money so they can go on Medicaid and still have their money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 07:50 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
few HIDE their money . the laws are very clear about the tools and laws left in place when it comes to preserving assets .

they are left in place so states do not end up with two people on public assistance when the stay at home spouse is impoverished too .

these laws and tools are purposely left in place the same as our tax laws which let us all pay the lowest amount of taxes we legally are smart enough to figure out we have to pay.

it would be all to easy to do away with these laws but the truth is states do not want to be filled with poor seniors.

that is why states are doing a lot with partnership plans that allow medicaid to pay the bills and yet preserve both income and assets for stay at home spouses .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement