U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 08:58 AM

17,063 posts, read 17,382,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Family having a situation now. Placing their mother (99 years of age) in a care facility. The facility said $7,400.00 per month and if the family could pay for one year (not in advance) then they would accept whatever Medicaid paid after that. Is this a common practice?
In my area, the vast majority of the facilities require two years of private pay before they accept Medicaid. Some facilities do not accept Medicaid under any circumstances and others require three years of private pay first.

So, yes, having to private pay for a while is quite common (even if the person is 99 years old).

When I was looking for a facility for my disabled husband I called over 60 places and only found two that accepted Medicaid without private paying first (neither were close to where I lived, and one place was pretty poor quality).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 09:12 AM

71,735 posts, read 71,853,273 times
in our area the private homes i inquired in to said 2 years private pay and they will take assignment from medicaid

Old 09-15-2017, 09:40 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,780,142 times
You can throw around numbers all day long about how much who pays, but those numbers are today not what they will pay in 10, 15, 20, 30 years. No one has a magic wand and knows what they will pay years down the road from now. No one even knows if Medicare will exist in 20 years. Who knows with how crazy the government is and it doesn't matter who is in the administration...they are all after their own special interests. Screwing over the taxpayers seems to be what politicians do best.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:21 AM

20,618 posts, read 16,659,647 times
[quote=MadManofBethesda;49524475]Not only does my LTCi policy costs less than my auto insurance, it is only 1/4 of the cost of my homeowner's insurance policy. (Of course, auto and homeowner policies are fairly expensive in Florida, especially in Miami.)[/quote

What does it pay for (in $ amounts), and for how long? What is your premium, and how old were you when you purchased it?

Old 09-15-2017, 10:31 AM

20,618 posts, read 16,659,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
The thing with nursing homes that take Medicaid is that they can refuse a patient if they feel that patient will be too much care for the reimbursement. That's what happened with my mom. We went to several wonderful nursing homes and they all said that they took Medicaid patients, but when we toured and explained that my mom was a recent amputee, and was on a feeding tube, they turned her down.

That left us only one nursing home in the county that would accept her. Of course it was the one that smelled of urine and had people just left sitting around in wheelchairs out in the hall. In the first few days there, her personal property was stolen. Half of the staff didn't speak English well enough to interpret the doctor's orders, or to converse with family members regarding her care. We had to be on constant alert for neglect (failure to turn her as needed resulting in bedsores, failure to treat her wounds, failure to clean her and change her bedding according to their own schedule, failure to properly handle her feeding tube, etc.) and we ended up having family members doing shifts around the clock to protect her from the untrained/uncaring staff. Fortunately I had FMLA at work as I had to sit 12-14 hour shifts for 3 weeks to ensure she was not left to sit and rot.
Almost every home takes Medicaid, not all take people on feeding tubes, vents, etc. It is often tough to get a Medicaid bed from the outside...most people in any facility who are in Medicaid beds went into the home under Medicare A while getting rehab, then it was determined they can't go home, then they allow them to stay and help them apply for Medicaid. It is much easier to get any Medicaid patient into a facility when Med A is paying bigs bucks early on. It is actually not an unfair way to do it, as Medicaid beds are limited in many nicer facilities, and they should go to the people who are already there and comfortable there. That's why it's a mistake for people to wait till it gets to that point, you have to get them in somewhere while you have a carrot to offer, even if it's just a couple of months of Medicare A money.

Any home can decline a patient. It is more common with residents with behavior issues/psych issues than physical issues though.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:25 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,217,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Almost every home takes Medicaid, not all take people on feeding tubes, vents, etc. It is often tough to get a Medicaid bed from the outside...most people in any facility who are in Medicaid beds went into the home under Medicare A while getting rehab, then it was determined they can't go home, then they allow them to stay and help them apply for Medicaid. It is much easier to get any Medicaid patient into a facility when Med A is paying bigs bucks early on. It is actually not an unfair way to do it, as Medicaid beds are limited in many nicer facilities, and they should go to the people who are already there and comfortable there. That's why it's a mistake for people to wait till it gets to that point, you have to get them in somewhere while you have a carrot to offer, even if it's just a couple of months of Medicare A money.

Any home can decline a patient. It is more common with residents with behavior issues/psych issues than physical issues though.

Why are you defending "the system" again and dismissing the member's story about the difficulties finding a place that WILL take those patients and the horrendous care his mother received.

What happened? She didn't get her leg amputated with the right timing or something? She "waited" too long?

Old 09-15-2017, 02:25 PM

271 posts, read 116,992 times
I am hoping by the time I need to spend down, being Native American will be to my benefit.

Seems they are trying to find a way to take them all and put them into one big room with sections. So save $$ on the private room but it goes towards better actual health- care. So paying down to qualify for an IHSS-Medicaid facility.
Those CMS Webinars can be quite interesting to listen to as you are falling asleep
Interesting info yet boring enough to act as a sleep aid (with only good side effects)

Old 09-15-2017, 02:29 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,217,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
The thing with nursing homes that take Medicaid is that they can refuse a patient if they feel that patient will be too much care for the reimbursement. That's what happened with my mom. We went to several wonderful nursing homes and they all said that they took Medicaid patients, but when we toured and explained that my mom was a recent amputee, and was on a feeding tube, they turned her down.

That left us only one nursing home in the county that would accept her. Of course it was the one that smelled of urine and had people just left sitting around in wheelchairs out in the hall. In the first few days there, her personal property was stolen. Half of the staff didn't speak English well enough to interpret the doctor's orders, or to converse with family members regarding her care. We had to be on constant alert for neglect (failure to turn her as needed resulting in bedsores, failure to treat her wounds, failure to clean her and change her bedding according to their own schedule, failure to properly handle her feeding tube, etc.) and we ended up having family members doing shifts around the clock to protect her from the untrained/uncaring staff. Fortunately I had FMLA at work as I had to sit 12-14 hour shifts for 3 weeks to ensure she was not left to sit and rot.
Same here except my mother with a feeding tube (no amputation but a stroke) was private pay and had money. But the only dump available was just like that one.

And when I said she wanted to be at HOME, pay for private care there and die there, they threatened to go to court for guardianship. Because she was such an easy person to ignore. Half her body paralyzed, couldn't speak and on a tube.

And they had the nerve to tell me she refused showers. "Patients rights!!!"

Yeah ok. Liars.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:32 PM

271 posts, read 116,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Same here except my mother with a feeding tube (no amputation but a stroke) was private pay and had money. But the only dump available was just like that one.

And when I said she wanted to be at HOME, pay for private care there and die there, they threatened to go to court for guardianship. Because she was such an easy person to ignore. Half her body paralyzed, couldn't speak and on a tube.

And they had the nerve to tell me she refused showers. "Patients rights!!!"

Yeah ok. Liars.
This is horrific. If she had made less $$ but over the Medicaid limit, I wonder if she would qualify for IHSS (at home) and how many hours she'd get. I mean already staying at the hospital to ensure neglect is lessened seems almost as much trouble as caring for her yourself. Hmmm...

Old 09-15-2017, 02:43 PM

13,890 posts, read 25,343,932 times
By the time I am in bad enough shape to require a nursing home, I want to be in the one that will kill me the quickest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or