Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 04:51 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

in our house we say our prayers after we eat lol .

if you drop a piece of dental floss roaches have tried to hang themselves . the flies took up a collection to fix the hole in the window screen in the kitchen ha ha ha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 06:55 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What does it pay for (in $ amounts), and for how long? What is your premium, and how old were you when you purchased it?
I'm currently hospitalized so I don't have access to my policy to be able to give you the exact figures. Moreover, electricity still hasn't been restored to my house so no telling when I'll be going back there. (I'll be going to our condo upon discharge.) I'll answer your questions when I'm able to get back into our house.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:44 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
what happened to you that you are hospitalized ?

Old 09-16-2017, 07:48 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
By the time I am in bad enough shape to require a nursing home, I want to be in the one that will kill me the quickest.
I agree. Just read the book Final Exit.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:17 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
^^^ hubs says he won't go into a nursing home either. I don't like him thinking this is an option when we have the money. He says it's not about the money. His family has had LOTS of people go into a home (no medicaid) from 2 weeks to 11 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
medicaid is a joint federal/state combo .certain things are mandated by the fed and other things are left up to the states .

"Medicaid
Medicaid is a joint federal and state program that helps with medical costs for some people with limited income and resources. Medicaid also offers benefits not normally covered by Medicare, like nursing home care and personal care services."
You are right. OR is generous with medicaid. NV will tell you to apply it takes up to 2 years to get an answer and if you do 'win' you will not be reimbursed.

I'll translate NV position. We don't want you here and we'll do what we can to see that you don't move here or that you move to a state that is generous.

A friend went through this with her daughter who thank God was in OR and stayed there.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:20 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
what happened to you that you are hospitalized ?
Most of that story is in the chat thread. The short version is that I'm undergoing chemotherapy. Each "cycle" is 24 hrs/day for 5 days, then I go home for 2 weeks before returning for the next cycle. I'm currently on the 4th cycle of 6.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:22 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Mine, too!

It's not surprising that several elderly folks died without air conditioning. This happens in heat all summer long all over the country and world. Once you hit 75, your nervous systems begin to drastically change and you're no longer able to regulate your internal thermostat like you once were.

Doctor: Nursing home deaths show the serious risks of being old in Florida - CNN
Right...but the point is that there should have been generators to take over the A/C but they lobbied against the regulation and won...except patients obviously lost. But hey, who needs regulations- businesses vote no but maybe people ought to vote in THEIR best interests.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:52 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Most of that story is in the chat thread. The short version is that I'm undergoing chemotherapy. Each "cycle" is 24 hrs/day for 5 days, then I go home for 2 weeks before returning for the next cycle. I'm currently on the 4th cycle of 6.
Oh wow, best of luck and I hope you can get back home soon

Old 09-16-2017, 12:10 PM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Almost every home takes Medicaid, not all take people on feeding tubes, vents, etc. It is often tough to get a Medicaid bed from the outside...most people in any facility who are in Medicaid beds went into the home under Medicare A while getting rehab, then it was determined they can't go home, then they allow them to stay and help them apply for Medicaid. It is much easier to get any Medicaid patient into a facility when Med A is paying bigs bucks early on. It is actually not an unfair way to do it, as Medicaid beds are limited in many nicer facilities, and they should go to the people who are already there and comfortable there. That's why it's a mistake for people to wait till it gets to that point, you have to get them in somewhere while you have a carrot to offer, even if it's just a couple of months of Medicare A money.

Any home can decline a patient. It is more common with residents with behavior issues/psych issues than physical issues though.
My mom was on Medicare with Medicaid picking up the balance. She was coming out of acute care, and would have been eligible for Medicare for 90 days before reverting to Medicaid. They just weren't interested in the eventuality of that level of care for the small Medicaid reimbursement amount. It was a shame really, because in a better nursing facility she might not have died within those 90 days as she did. The lack of proper nursing care (proper therapy for her eating problems, proper turning, proper hygiene and wound care) caused what should have been healing and a better outcome to turn into a downward spiral ending in her death less than 90 days after her acute hospital discharge.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:23 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I agree. Just read the book Final Exit.
...or Solyent Green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement