Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 09:55 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times

Advertisements

This is the type of facility in which you could end up:

Hurricane Irma aftermath: Hollywood nursing home where 5 died has troubled past | Miami Herald

I urge you to read the article and see the list of prior complaints/infractions at this facility. Now I'm sure not all Medicaid facilities are this bad, but why risk it if you don't have to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 10:56 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

Hurricane Irma aftermath: Hollywood nursing home where 5 died has troubled past | Miami Herald

I urge you to read the article and see the list of prior complaints/infractions at this facility. Now I'm sure not all Medicaid facilities are this bad, but why risk it if you don't have to?
Not only that, but even if one does not end up in a place that bad, going the "spend down until Medicaid" route is not likely to lead to any sort of home care situation, even if it were technically feasible.

The whole idea of being crazily paranoid about running out of money before dying is to be able to control one's own outcomes. I want to be able to tell those who I employ exactly where I am to die and how I am to do it. It's all about managing the situation.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:01 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
<>I want to be able to tell those who I employ exactly where I am to die and how I am to do it. It's all about managing the situation.
That's possible only if you hire your own hitman.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:19 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,846 times
Quote:

but are you implying that private healtcare places are glorious because one in Philly just had a whole bunch of his employees arrested for beating up residents and other wonderful behavior and it too had a bunch of complaints against it. There was a report by us news and world report that was done earlier this year that said something to the fact that out of 293 nursing facilities only 90 of them got good reviews. I don't remember if they were medicaid facilities or not but that less than 1/3!!

One of the problems we have around here is also classification. Are they considered independent living, dementia facilities, nursing homes etc etc. One of the best places in this area (York Nursing and rehabilitation) does accept medicaid patients.

Now my plan does not include depending on medicaid but I think NO matter how you pay, you've got to do your homework.

Last edited by eliza61nyc; 09-14-2017 at 11:30 AM..

Old 09-14-2017, 11:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
but are you implying that private healtcare places are glorious because one in Philly just had a whole bunch of his employees arrested for beating up residents and other wonderful behavior and it too had a bunch of complaints against it. There was a report by us news and world report that was done earlier this year that said something to the fact that out of 293 nursing facilities only 90 of them got good reviews. I don't remember if they were medicaid facilities or not but that less than 1/3!!

One of the problems we have around here is also classification. Are they considered independent living, dementia facilities, nursing homes etc etc. One of the best places in this area (York Nursing and rehabilitation) does accept medicaid patients.

Now my plan does not include depending on medicaid but I think NO matter how you pay, you've got to do your homework.
Yes, this. Most facilities that accept medicaid patients limit the number, in order to survive since medicaid pays so much less than private party patients. There are good places that accept medicaid, we had that experience with a relative, and it was an adult family home in a house that showed no signs of being "different" than the rest in the neighborhood, 6 residents, with 2-3 caretakers one of whom was a registered nurse. We paid a private nurse consultant to do the research, interview our family member and recommend 3-4 suitable places. We then went to visit, talked to staff, residents, and their families. She was very happy there for 12 years before passing.With the widening gap between Medicaid and private pay rates, along with increases in the numbers of elderly, it will only get harder to fine them in the future.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:47 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,494 times
#1 screening tool - if you have the means. Go into a facility that doesn't accept medicaid patients. Many don't.

Would bet previous posters info on only 90 facilities passing, none of them accept medicaid.

A home doesn't have to take you. You could go on medicaid and be stuck with relatives till there is an opening, that accepts medicaid.

Spending down money to qualify for medicaid. Something must be mentally wrong with them. Especially if we are talking about those with the means to pay.
What did you do to your child that you have to pay them off.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:44 PM

708 posts, read 721,099 times
Quote:

Not going to a nursing home in Florida...that is my plan...

Old 09-14-2017, 02:19 PM

498 posts, read 571,598 times
Well, I may be one of the "fools" addressed in this thread. My DH developed dementia at a very early age....long before retirement age. So here we are 14 yrs later and DH has absolutely no medical issues. He will probably outlive me by 10 yrs. So long term care in a memory unit will be $80k per year for 10 yrs....guess he will end up in a medicaid facility. Does that mean we are stupid? Or that we should have divorced (49+yrs) or that I should somehow become super old lady and handle this 235 lb dementia man? Those of you who have had breaks in life go your way, good for you. But sometimes we fools need a little help from the "old U.S. government."

Old 09-14-2017, 02:33 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfire View Post
Well, I may be one of the "fools" addressed in this thread. My DH developed dementia at a very early age....long before retirement age. So here we are 14 yrs later and DH has absolutely no medical issues. He will probably outlive me by 10 yrs. So long term care in a memory unit will be $80k per year for 10 yrs....guess he will end up in a medicaid facility. Does that mean we are stupid? Or that we should have divorced (49+yrs) or that I should somehow become super old lady and handle this 235 lb dementia man? Those of you who have had breaks in life go your way, good for you. But sometimes we fools need a little help from the "old U.S. government."
Nobody is calling you a fool. In fact, the title of this thread and the question that I posed at the end of my OP specifically exempts people in your circumstances. This thread is directed at people who have a choice to purchase LTCi, but instead have made a conscious decision to spend down their money to qualify for Medicaid rather than purchase LTCi. Hence my question, why risk ending up in a subpar facility if you don't have to?

You (and others who can't purchase LTCi for health or money reasons) obviously don't have a choice to make. Please don't go looking for slights where none was intended.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:15 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Nobody is calling you a fool. In fact, the title of this thread and the question that I posed at the end of my OP specifically exempts people in your circumstances. This thread is directed at people who have a choice to purchase LTCi, but instead have made a conscious decision to spend down their money to qualify for Medicaid rather than purchase LTCi. Hence my question, why risk ending up in a subpar facility if you don't have to?

You (and others who can't purchase LTCi for health or money reasons) obviously don't have a choice to make. Please don't go looking for slights where none was intended.
Bada Bing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement