U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:56 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,065,470 times

Advertisements

Interesting topic. I found myself having to come back to see what others are saying.

Summering, I hadn't even thought about some of the companies who have been pushing their employees out before their time. AND I'm sorry to hear that your DH had such serious health problems so early in life.

Cdlena, I know what you mean about everything skyrocketing. I'm not sure about everyone else, but we're sure starting to do some shuffling and we don't have that much to shuffle. Hopefully things will improve before too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 04:49 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,138,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
We always lived from paycheck to paycheck, each time we would try and save and one of the kids would end up with the need for something expensive.
Have you considered saying "no"? Are they going to care for you when you're too old to work?

Old 03-19-2008, 07:18 AM

156 posts, read 352,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Also, being terminally single, I am more likely to spend money getting out of the house for socializing. It just happens that way.
Terminally single....wow I never heard that one before...lol...It could be worse ya know. You could be terminally married lol...(just a little humor)

Old 03-19-2008, 07:50 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,561,639 times
I've always said I'm not overly concerned about being alone and lonely, but would be terrified to look over at a male lump in front of the TV and think, "I don't like you and you live here."
Yep, terminally single is the right phrase. Only a couple of interesting near-misses in the past, and nothing lately on the horizon.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:06 AM

156 posts, read 352,048 times
Quote:
I've always said I'm not overly concerned about being alone and lonely, but would be terrified to look over at a male lump in front of the TV and think, "I don't like you and you live here."
Yep, terminally single is the right phrase. Only a couple of interesting near-misses in the past, and nothing lately on the horizon.
A male lump lol...You need to write a book...or at least an article for Cosmopolitan. Something like..."How to find your prince and not a male lump"...lol

Old 03-19-2008, 09:46 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,738,045 times
In some cases, a person that get's into a slump and has concerns about the furture will automatically learn how to manage their money and make it stretch out. I my case, I've mentioned that I was starting over in OK. and my line of work wasn't seasonal in Ca. like it is in OK. And that this was the first time I've been unempoyed in over 25years. Through the winter I've learned how to live on nessecities only, (I'm widowed and have a dog) I've learned what food to buy and where to buy at a good price and make it last, and if that means fixing the same thing for a week, that's fine with me.
But most importantly, I've figured out a plan to avoid the same thing from happening in the future, along with options.
But the plan cannot go into play intil I'm back to work which should be within the week.

I've made a deal with my dog, I'll share my food with him, if he'll share his with me.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:28 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,138,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
How many here will be like me and not afford to ever retire?
I have not been able to save enough and got hit with some big medical bills that wiped me out.
Planning for retirement doesn't work when you need every penny.

I want to hear from others who are in my shoes.
I don't know your particulars, but if you will have $800 or more in Social Security income you can get Pensionado (retiree) residence status in Panama. The health care there is much cheaper than in the US and I have been told (?)that they are beginning to accept Medicare. It's a big culture change, but the cost of living is quite a bit lower. It might be the difference between "dying in the harness" or having a few years of hard earned rest.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:39 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,065,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I don't know your particulars, but if you will have $800 or more in Social Security income you can get Pensionado (retiree) residence status in Panama. The health care there is much cheaper than in the US and I have been told (?)that they are beginning to accept Medicare. It's a big culture change, but the cost of living is quite a bit lower. It might be the difference between "dying in the harness" or having a few years of hard earned rest.
Do you have any links you could provide for us? If many of the others here are like me, they know very little about it. They've often had articles about retiring outside of the country. Does one keep their American citizenship? Is it relatively safe there?

One of the most recent things I've read is that the cost of living in some of those countries is very low, but only if you live the way the natives do. Does that apply to Panama?

Old 03-20-2008, 11:57 AM

29,779 posts, read 34,867,277 times
Quote:
This mind set may help to explain Spitzer/Clinton etc.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:56 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,932,349 times
Brightdoglover; never say never ;I know alot of people who found their soulmates late in life.IMO it makes life ever so much easier to have someone ti share it with besides your kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement