U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 03:21 PM

13,322 posts, read 25,574,131 times

Advertisements

I'm not cynical about men or relationships, because I haven't been disappointed or failed in a big way, not since I have been what I consider an adult. I certainly don't say "never," that is, if someone caught my attention, I'd certainly notice and would find it a gift. However, for planning purposes, you can only go with what's so in the present. Oh, for the record, I have no kids, by choice. Certainly might have lost one great guy over it, although I hear he's bitterly divorced with one beloved son.
Yes, I do worry about having fewer and fewer connections as I get older. It's harder to make friends, as so many have noted, and my work schedule ensures that I hardly meet myself anymore (night shifts).
Like they say in investing, "Past performance does not guarantee future gains" or some such. I keep an open mind, but act on things as they are. I'd love to share life with someone- someone I wanted to share life with! At present, it's a bunch of rescued four-leggeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 11:23 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,399,522 times
I will possibly have to decide between an early out pension or working full time for another five or six years. I will probably take the early out and get a "portable” part time job so I can think about snow birding and/or starting my own business. Fortunately I will have excellent health insurance when I retire. BTW – I am a Vietnam Vet for whatever that is worth.

When I was running my own alternate energy business in the late 1970'S I was paying more for health insurance than supplies. Since then I would either been broke or dead or both without the insurance. This is why a universal health care system is vital to far more people than it would annoy.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:05 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,966,925 times
Alternative energy is a low profit business especailly if you can't pay health insurance. Under the proposed plans all busienesses will either have to pay for employeee insurance or pay the feds to provide it.This will be great for big business because they can drop employess and cost. for small business not so good.

Last edited by texdav; 03-21-2008 at 12:44 PM..

Old 03-22-2008, 12:06 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,073,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I will possibly have to decide between an early out pension or working full time for another five or six years. I will probably take the early out and get a "portable” part time job so I can think about snow birding and/or starting my own business. Fortunately I will have excellent health insurance when I retire. BTW – I am a Vietnam Vet for whatever that is worth.

When I was running my own alternate energy business in the late 1970'S I was paying more for health insurance than supplies. Since then I would either been broke or dead or both without the insurance. This is why a universal health care system is vital to far more people than it would annoy.
I'm with you. Health insurance could end up being the number one issue for we Boomers. Even companies who promised they'd provide it into their employee's retirement have been backing out because of the tremendous cost. Maybe we could follow the plan the Scandanavian countries have since it's supposed to be successful there?

AND~Thank you for having served our country.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:14 PM

3,724 posts, read 8,285,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

Universal health care will only work if all medical providers honor it. My husband had medicaid - long story, including social security 'losing' all his work records [and I really wish the IRS had done the same!], so he had no choice. But the catch is that one and only one clinic in our county would treat medicaid patients with his problems, and they declined to treat him. If they had done so, he'd have been on a transplant list years ago and he wouldn't have died early last winter.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:28 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,145,278 times
It saddens me so much to hear such things. We let people die because of money. There should be outrage in America over this situation.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:18 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,145,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Do you have any links you could provide for us?
viviendo_en_panama : Viviendo en Panama/Living in Panama

This Yahoo forum will answer all your questions if you read around a bit. You keep your citizenship, no problem. It's at least as safe as the US but most people are more comfortable on the Pacific side rather than the Caribbean. The currency there is the US dollar so you can't get burned on exchange rates.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:58 PM

3,092 posts, read 3,453,080 times
I will work as long as I possibly can because I have a beautiful impaired daughter (blind and autistic) who will never be able to work. If it was just my hubby and me, we'd done average fine. But with her, we have to leave her something significant so she doesn't have to end up eating dog food or burdening my other children with her care (not that they would see her as a burden).

So I gotta stay young!!

Old 03-24-2008, 05:10 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,521,294 times
Since then I would either been broke or dead or both without the insurance. This is why a universal health care system is vital to far more people than it would annoy.

Absolutely. I totally agree.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-26-2008, 11:15 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,073,047 times
Kari, I'm SO sorry about your loss. It is kind of sad that we're so worried about everyone else that we don't even take care of our own people. Just sad!

It seems that even when people hit 65 and qualify for Medicare, there are still so many medical expenses with it. I remember this from my own parent's situations. There's the cost of a supplemental insurance, paying for your own meds, etc. IMHO it's just all ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement