U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 12:16 PM

11 posts, read 24,501 times

Advertisements

i'm what you might call semi retired. was a self employed carpenter for 30+ yrs, never made a lot of money. was fortunate to have my home paid for & only house hold bills, tho they come to $500 a month. medicare is a life saver & the new drug plan, i,m fortunate to be healthy & didn.t spend over $200 last year, dont smoke or drink, work out & run regularly, keep my weight down, if you dont keep fit, you will not be able to enjoy life, i,m now 70+, & when i hit 60, every part of my body that i had abused fell apart, 10 operations in 6 yrs, I,m still looking for the golden years. don,t give up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 10:43 AM

1,861 posts, read 3,024,773 times
There are LOTS of us out here that will find it difficult, if not impossible, to retire - at least fully retire.

Single women (as myself) have the worst time - we make less money than men, and won't have as much in social security, and won't be able to save as much as men can.

A lot of people on this forum seem to think that "anyone can do it, just don't live beyond your means - don't buy new cars or new houses, etc". Well, I have an old car, I bought my condo years ago so I have a low mortgage (but property taxes are high), I don't vacation very often, I don't even go out to dinner or movies anymore. So, I'm living within my means, but that doesn't mean I have anything left over after I pay my bills. I put away what I can, but I'll probably either always work full-time (until I drop dead), or partially retire and work a part-time job.

Don't feel alone - this has been talked about in the press for years - how the Baby Boomers have not saved (geez, I wonder why?) - real wages have decreased for the last 35 years, and everything else has gone up. It is NOT your fault, although some on here would say so, without knowing any details about the individual. I'm getting quite sick of listening to their smug remarks.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:30 PM

16,437 posts, read 19,140,430 times
The most troubling thought is that with the economy tanking, continuing to work past normal retirement age may not be even possible.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:11 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,565,364 times
When people assume (sadly or not) they they'll have to work beyond a reasonable retirement age (say, 65) I do wonder, will there be a job for them? Also, what about the health weardowns of age? Arthritis in the hands is quite common. Poor eyesight, especially if your sight has always been lousy (me). Sheer tiredness that you didn't have decades ago for shift work (again, me).
Of course, if one has no choice but to continue working, it seems best to keep your eyes open, be aware of the economic environment, and keep putting one foot in front of the other. But to just assume you'll just keep working full-time, period, seems kind of short-sighted.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:19 AM

156 posts, read 352,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Also, what about the health weardowns of age? Arthritis in the hands is quite common. Poor eyesight, especially if your sight has always been lousy (me). Sheer tiredness that you didn't have decades ago for shift work (again, me).

I hear that....my get up and go, got up and left a while back lol ...Only one thing left to do folks....It's drastic.... but we need to organize soon and start searching for that swimming pool in Cocoon

Last edited by GregoryS; 04-07-2008 at 07:37 AM..

Old 04-07-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
When people assume (sadly or not) they they'll have to work beyond a reasonable retirement age (say, 65) I do wonder, will there be a job for them? Also, what about the health weardowns of age? Arthritis in the hands is quite common. Poor eyesight, especially if your sight has always been lousy (me). Sheer tiredness that you didn't have decades ago for shift work (again, me).
Of course, if one has no choice but to continue working, it seems best to keep your eyes open, be aware of the economic environment, and keep putting one foot in front of the other. But to just assume you'll just keep working full-time, period, seems kind of short-sighted.
There certainly will be jobs, since the younger people don't seem to have the education that we do, and of course, the experience. There are more and more agencies (one here in my state of MA) that are helping keep older people in the workforce. Where I work (one of the top 50 employers for people over 55, according to AARP), there are people probably well into their 70's working.

We HOPE to have good health, and be able to work at least part-time. Otherwise, there's trouble ahead!

Old 04-07-2008, 11:58 AM

If things play out as it seems they might, they need to start a crash bridge building program to accomodate all the homeless boomers.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
If things play out as it seems they might, they need to start a crash bridge building program to accomodate all the homeless boomers.
We can go back to the '60's, and live in communes, or "off the land" under the bridges. It will be one happy "Retirement of Love" festival. We can smoke dope again (it will be legal by then), we can have old folk singers come to sing like Arlo Guthrie (I know he's alive, anyway), we can throw balloons around, and we'll travel light, and have only the clothes on our back. Sound good?

Old 04-07-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
We can go back to the '60's, and live in communes, or "off the land" under the bridges. It will be one happy "Retirement of Love" festival. We can smoke dope again (it will be legal by then), we can have old folk singers come to sing like Arlo Guthrie (I know he's alive, anyway), we can throw balloons around, and we'll travel light, and have only the clothes on our back. Sound good?

The '60s counter culture movement couldn't have happened if America hadn't been so affluent at the time. There was excess wealth to spare for even "drop-outs" to get by comfortably. Society could afford parasites. Now, don't get all upset and wrapped around the axles. I was much in tune with the hippie culture of the time, but it is remarkable in retrospect that main stream society tolerated us as amiably as it did. Bring back the '30s and it's not Arlo Guthrie but Woody Guthrie singing to the field workers and struggling working class people trying to avoid starvation and desperate to find any paying job they could find. It's the '30s we're heading into, not the '60s.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:25 AM

Yes, I know what you're saying about the affluence at the time. I hope it won't be quite like the 30's, where unemployment was 25%. Do you think it will get that bad, where we'll be selling apples on the street corners?

But, I DO think that communal living will have to come back. Friends of mine are already talking about it, since none of us can afford to just live alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement