U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 03:00 PM

19 posts, read 22,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfishat60 View Post
Oklahoma , my butt, if you wanna retire but don't think you can afford it , consider Mexico. You can live well on SS benefits , modestly but well. Medical expenses are a fraction of what they are in the U.S . Generally less than your co-payments might be here. You don't have to speak spanish , just smile alot and point to what you want. You'll be surprised at how rapidly you pick up enough to get by just fine. I lived in Mazatlan Sinaloa Mx. for 9 yrs. came back to the states for a couple to work and am leaving south again in Oct. Mexico is not the dangerous no mans's land that Lou Dobbs would have you believe. If you don't get invovled in the drug trade and I'm sure most of you won't , you'll be fine.In fact Mexicans are generally very freindly and most hospitable.Pick up a copy of "The People's Guide to Mexico " by Carl Franz and Lorena Havens , you won't be sorry
I totally agree with you, kingfish. It took my husbands dad 10 years to get us to come visit he and his wife in Mexico (on the Baja) where they have lived for 20 or so years. We are not what you or anyone would consider compulsive, but when we finally got down there to visit, we didn't want to come back. We spent the 2nd week looking, finding and buying a piece of property. We are on an acre of sand, 30 miles south of La Paz on the Baja in a little fishing village on the beach. Right now we are only going to visit for 3 weeks at a time, and we are making improvements on the property; such as bringing in electricity, building a septic system and next will be water - a pila of sorts. Dad lives down there 6 months out of the year and it is the only way they can live on SS. It is so cheap to live down there. I love it and can't wait until we are ready to spend our 6 months a year down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 05:10 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,482,868 times
Default Psst! PKSeeks

This thread is over three and a half years old.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:33 PM

19 posts, read 22,503 times
Default ??

I guess we should look at the dates before we post!!

I thought it was newer because it was near the top, guess that's the problem with me thinks

Old 11-04-2011, 06:18 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,737,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKSeeks View Post
I guess we should look at the dates before we post!! I thought it was newer because it was near the top, guess that's the problem with me thinks
This is a mystery. The post previous to yours is from 2008, so the thread should not have been on page 1, much less near the top. Perhaps someone revived the thread by posting, which would have moved it to the top, then thought better of it and deleted their post during the editing time window. Such a scenario might have left it near the top. It's certainly no big deal in any case.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:43 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I've made a deal with my dog, I'll share my food with him, if he'll share his with me.
LOL--my dog and I have been known to eat the same thing on many a night such as: mix cooked brown rice with steamed or sautéed (in olive oil) cut-up veg's and skillet-browned ground chicken or lamb, serve hers with a sprinkle of bone meal and ground flax seed, and then mine with a toss of rosemary herb...works for us. She doesn't get onions (a no-no for dogs) so I sauté those separately for me...and she doesn't get my dessert.

PS: We are both retired on a shoestring.

Last edited by RiverBird; 11-04-2011 at 07:01 PM..

Old 11-04-2011, 07:11 PM

491 posts, read 598,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
LOL--my dog and I have been known to eat the same thing on many a night such as: mix cooked brown rice with steamed or sautéed (in olive oil) cut-up veg's and skillet-browned ground chicken or lamb, serve hers with a sprinkle of bone meal and ground flax seed, and then mine with a toss of rosemary herb...works for us. She doesn't get onions (a no-no for dogs) so I sauté those separately for me...and she doesn't get my dessert.

Haha, same thing I feed my dog, except I use brewers yeast instead of bone meal and fish oil instead of flax seed. The last time he was at the vet they commented on how beautiful his coat was and how he had lost a little weight and was just right. We are shoestringers too, it is cheaper than dog food. I have been known to share his too.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:38 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,738,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
This thread is over three and a half years old.
That doesn't mean that "not being able to retire" is nolonger an issue. On the contrary.
These 4 1/2 years in Oklahoma has changed my life for the better.
But I'm still unable to see retirement as an option.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 11-05-2011 at 12:00 AM..

Old 11-04-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:

Thanks for noting the onions. I got the rep, thank you,
but where's this new thread "Retire on a shoestring" you mentioned.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:29 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,847,217 times
Quote:

Fortunately for us, dogs should not be given chocolate!

Old 11-05-2011, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Fortunately for us, dogs should not be given chocolate!
Your exactly right.
It's poisonous to dogs. To be specific, they're refering to "pure milk chocolate". But I still don't take any chances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement