U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 05:40 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,739,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'd eat my dogs, first, if I was that bad off but we don't own any. Thankfully we live rurally with copious quantities of wildlife which can make good eats.
Likewise....There's a oppposum in my yard right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 07:46 PM

28,242 posts, read 39,901,543 times
I met a woman when I went to play poker last week. Older and retired. She is living on SS and told me that she lost her husband 7 years ago after a lengthy illness. They had saved enough for a good retirement, but the costs associated with his illness stripped them of everything they had, except their house, which they had paid off before he got sick. Her only entertainment is playing poker once a month. Their prescriptions alone were $600 - $700 a month.

To be blunt, that pisses me off. There is no excuse for a couple that has worked hard to be drained dry by a bunch of vampires. Something is terribly wrong with our country.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:59 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,856,609 times
I agree with your outrages about the drug costs, AND I think people are over-medicated. I seriously doubt that anyone needs as much medication as is prescribed. I think it's a pretty big racket all around and three parties play into it: The drug companies, doctors who overprescribe or prescribe unnecessary drugs, and the patients who are convinced they MUST take the drugs or die . . .I think that may be the case in extreme circumstances, but not typical.

If people took more responsibility for their health by eating right, exercising, not smoking and not boozing it up too much or otherwise ruining their health, I don't think there would be need for multiple drugs . . .

Old 11-05-2011, 09:50 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I met a woman when I went to play poker last week. Older and retired. She is living on SS and told me that she lost her husband 7 years ago after a lengthy illness. They had saved enough for a good retirement, but the costs associated with his illness stripped them of everything they had, except their house, which they had paid off before he got sick. Her only entertainment is playing poker once a month. Their prescriptions alone were $600 - $700 a month.

To be blunt, that pisses me off. There is no excuse for a couple that has worked hard to be drained dry by a bunch of vampires. Something is terribly wrong with our country.
May I second that?

Old 11-05-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I agree with your outrages about the drug costs, AND I think people are over-medicated. I seriously doubt that anyone needs as much medication as is prescribed. I think it's a pretty big racket all around and three parties play into it: The drug companies, doctors who overprescribe or prescribe unnecessary drugs, and the patients who are convinced they MUST take the drugs or die . . .I think that may be the case in extreme circumstances, but not typical.

If people took more responsibility for their health by eating right, exercising, not smoking and not boozing it up too much or otherwise ruining their health, I don't think there would be need for multiple drugs . . .
I agree with your over medicated statment.
If more people read and knew the side effects from the drugs they take.
Half of the prescibed drugs would not be on the market today.
Also, if the FDA researched every drug,,,, even less than half would have been approved for marketing or human consumption for that matter.
I study drugs and their side effects for my own personal reasons.
So let me say this:
Here's where reading and knowing the side effects come in...

Every prescribed drug is made to "TEMPERARILY", releive, prevent or reduce
a problem.
Every prescibed drug has unlimited side effects the can and (if not now but later in life) will "PERMINANTLY" damage some part of that persons Organs and/or
Neurological system
causing , if not death, but more problems that wil require more prescribed drugs.
Think about it.
The Cons out weigh the Pro's every time. Yet they're still approved by the FDA.
Somethings really wrong with this picture!

If anyone is interested, I DM you a recent article on a scam going on between Physicians, Pharmicuticals Co's and the FDA. It's about how today's drugs a reseached and studied.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 11-05-2011 at 10:26 PM..

Old 11-05-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I agree with your over medicated statment.
If more people read and knew the side effects from the drugs they take.
Half of the prescibed drugs would not be on the market today.
Also, if the FDA researched every drug,,,, even less than half would have been approved for marketing or human consumption for that matter.
I study drugs and their side effects for my own personal reasons.
So let me say this:
Here's where reading and knowing the side effects come in...

Every prescribed drug is made to "TEMPERARILY", releive, prevent or reduce
a problem.
Every prescibed drug has unlimited side effects the can and (if not now but later in life) will "PERMINANTLY" damage some part of that persons Organs and/or
Neurological system
causing , if not death, but more problems that wil require more prescribed drugs.
Think about it.
The Cons out weigh the Pro's every time. Yet they're still approved by the FDA.
Somethings really wrong with this picture!

If anyone is interested, I DM you a recent article on a scam going on between Physicians, Pharmicuticals Co's and the FDA. It's about how today's drugs a reseached and studied.
Can you start another thread on that subject in Health and post a link there?

Old 11-05-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Can you start another thread on that subject in Health and post a link there?
That's not a bad idea. Thanks.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:01 AM

When people say they are unable to retire, what does that mean? Does that mean they will work until they die? If I were in that situation, I know I would get very creative and would start brainstorming . . . live in another country (as has been suggested), live with relatives or friends, marry for money (!), join an intentional community, start a home business, get a yurt and find a place to put it, become a personal assistant to a wealthy person (or cook, be a nanny, a gardener, mechanic for a wealthy person), band together with other people in the same situation and brainstorm some possibilities that have not been mentioned - think of it as an exciting adventure and come up with solutions . . .

Old 11-06-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
When people say they are unable to retire, what does that mean? Does that mean they will work until they die? If I were in that situation, I know I would get very creative and would start brainstorming . . . live in another country (as has been suggested), live with relatives or friends, marry for money (!), join an intentional community, start a home business, get a yurt and find a place to put it, become a personal assistant to a wealthy person (or cook, be a nanny, a gardener, mechanic for a wealthy person), band together with other people in the same situation and brainstorm some possibilities that have not been mentioned - think of it as an exciting adventure and come up with solutions . . .
Join a Church.
Give your problems to the Lord.
That's what I did, And I nolonger worry about tomorrow.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:59 AM

8,618 posts, read 9,682,513 times
Quote:
I am unable to fully retire. I never planned on my SS being my only survival but then I never planned on being divorced/single at my age either. If I have to work, at least part time until I die, so be it. Luckily for me I love my job and don't mind making money doing something I enjoy doing.

I have no desire to do any of the things you mention to "survive". Becoming a personal assistant, cook, nanny, etc. IS working, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement