Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 04:40 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCountyMtnBiker View Post
You have to be pretty down & out to be on SSI. You mean regular SS
I dont know, my sister-in-law had SSI due to anxiety, arthritis and depression. Last time I saw her, she was perky, seemed just fine AND WAS STILL DRAWING SSI!

Heck, if I could sleep late every day I might not have anxiety or depression. Seesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 06:12 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
I'm 70 and my last day at my full time job in IT will be October 6th. I need about $1K per month in income to continue living my current lifestyle and also continue to put a few hundred a month in savings -- however, a good part of reason for this is my maintaining my license and certifications as a mental health professional, and establishing a private practice. If I gave that up, I could make it OK without working at all. I have zero debts and a good amount of savings which helps a great deal. I'm divorced with no children which makes planning easier. In addition to being maxed out on social security, I have a small pension I'm collecting. No, I don't have a big chunk of money put away in investments -- Social security, my pension, and whatever I learn is it.

But I enjoy seeing clients, and that's the reason why I'm setting up a limited private practice as a counselor (somewhere in the 10-20 hours/week range). To encourage those who haven't planned for retirement: I didn't start seriously doing so until I was in my late 50s, and although I've had to simplify my lifestyle, I'm going to be OK (unless of course disaster strikes). I've also thought about just getting some other sort of part time job -- I'd really like teaching a couple of college courses but those gigs can be hard to come by.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:33 PM

271 posts, read 190,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I dont know, my sister-in-law had SSI due to anxiety, arthritis and depression. Last time I saw her, she was perky, seemed just fine AND WAS STILL DRAWING SSI!

Heck, if I could sleep late every day I might not have anxiety or depression. Seesh.
Maybe the $895 (california rate of payment) alleviated her anxiety and depression.
Fears of having her basic needs met subsided or lessened. Thus she is perky now.
I suspect it takes alot to draw SSI, she is probably pretty sick. If not, she is up in age.
Glad to hear she is doing better

Old 09-26-2017, 09:44 PM

271 posts, read 190,851 times
I wonder how galaxyhi's interview went

Old 09-27-2017, 03:24 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
I have an Ebay store and sell things on Craigslist. Stuff that I find at flea markets, thrift stores, yard sales, and my closet. I am as busy as I care to be. Or not. I am the full-time and sole caregiver for my SO.
We live frugally and use our ''recession skillset'' to know how to effectively squeeze a penny. I aspire to do other things but am kept close to home on a daily basis right now.
We eat, have a roof, pay the bills. It's an ok life and I am grateful for life's little every day joys. Don't need much to be happy, ya know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement