U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 08:49 PM

609 posts, read 366,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Of course a fellow Washingtonian guessed correctly!

Pick it up Friday.

OK, we're ready to go ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6u7T9aI6R4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 11:43 PM

5,455 posts, read 4,088,868 times
Quote:

Pick it up Friday.
Well after all our posting work, you need to at least post some pictures of it when you get it

Old 09-19-2017, 12:36 AM

1,053 posts, read 514,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
My two protection trained German shepherds perked up at this. And no, they don't ride in the Carrera.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:08 PM

609 posts, read 366,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
My two protection trained German shepherds perked up at this. And no, they don't ride in the Carrera.

Why can't you take them for a ride one at a time?
You probably won't even share your ice cream cone with them.
Sheesh, I'm glad you're not my master, lol.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:46 PM

14,233 posts, read 44,895,263 times
Quote:

Pick it up Friday.
You know, seriously, you have been working in Kuwait, you have saved up for this, so I say you have earned it, you have every right to buy and enjoy that Hell Cat, and the Debbie Downers who say you should save the cash for "end of life medical issues" and other such can just blow it out their ears!

That said. You are like a pilot accustomed to maybe a Bonanza, or at most a King Air, about to get into your own personal MIG-21. A real quantum increase in performance, and a BIG quantum increase on demands on the "pilot" as well, OK?

Any sort of track-day training you can get will serve you well, and while older guys like us typically use considerable discretion with the "loud pedal" or "loud handle" - well, just use plenty of discretion, OK?

But here's hoping the experience starts out as great, and just gets better all along!

Old 09-20-2017, 09:13 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,265,616 times
The real questionnis did he get the wide body ADR? I can not lie, I like big butts.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:23 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,881,518 times
Quote:
I just wanted to get the opinion of retirees, especially those that have been retired for a number of years, what percent of your wealth do you consider acceptable to spend on cars in retirement?

Wife retired at 54 a couple years back and I'm getting ready to retire in the next few months and I was wanting to get the opinion of retirees.

We bought a new car recently for wife and I'm thinking of buying a very exciting car for myself and added together, it would constitute about 5% of our wealth (we won't have a note, pay cash)....do you think that's too much and if so, what do you recommend or if you think that's too little or not a problem, I want to hear that too.

Our pensions, investment income, SS should be easily sufficient to live on. Yes, we could conceivably get by on one vehicle but we are both pretty active and we live in an outer suburb so public transportation is not really feasible.
I was on vacation years ago and overheard a conversation at the next table from some people who were already retired. I clearly heard one of the men tell the other one not to touch his principal. Borrow the money and use the income from your principal to pay off the loan. We accumulate the extra we don't have to use from our income and first borrow as we purchase the vehicle than use extra income to pay that off fast to help our credit score. Last car we bought in October and paid the loan off the following May when we got our income tax return back. We always pay too much income tax reserve. We don't want to have to pay from our principal to the IRS because we owe money at the end of the year. We know the government is using our money but we prefer it that way. No our tax refund didn't fully pay for the car but we had already accumulated enough to add to that.

We have been accumulating money since then to pay for future purchases but I still don't like the idea of writing a check for the full amount until we have checked the car out by driving it a few months before fully paying for it. Don't know why.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,555 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You know, seriously, you have been working in Kuwait, you have saved up for this, so I say you have earned it, you have every right to buy and enjoy that Hell Cat, ...
Any sort of track-day training you can get will serve you well, ...
But here's hoping the experience starts out as great, and just gets better all along!
Yes, enjoy it! (and post some BEFORE pics)

Would be reminiscent for me of the Hemi Cuda I rebuilt from a total when I was in High School (Very Fun at the time). I've been sequestered to a 48hp Diesel Rabbit ever since I sold the Hemi MoPar

I sponsored my kids for Skid School and track days. It was GREAT for them (no accidents, tho daily drove ice and mtns as ski instructors during High School and college).

My friends with performance cars REALLY enjoy them! (even more when retired and have TIME to enjoy / dedicate to clubs / shop time / and travel. )

Wisdom:... take care, be insured (knowing that conventional insurance DOES NOT cover 'track-days'!) A 70 YO friend with GT40 found that out.. Buy it ONCE, then buy it AGAIN when you crash it (whoops)

Old 09-24-2017, 05:47 AM

18,506 posts, read 9,567,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You know, seriously, you have been working in Kuwait, you have saved up for this, so I say you have earned it, you have every right to buy and enjoy that Hell Cat, and the Debbie Downers who say you should save the cash for "end of life medical issues" and other such can just blow it out their ears!

That said. You are like a pilot accustomed to maybe a Bonanza, or at most a King Air, about to get into your own personal MIG-21. A real quantum increase in performance, and a BIG quantum increase on demands on the "pilot" as well, OK?

Any sort of track-day training you can get will serve you well, and while older guys like us typically use considerable discretion with the "loud pedal" or "loud handle" - well, just use plenty of discretion, OK?

Yep, you have to respect and possibly fear that much power. I'll definitely go easier than the average HC owner. So far, totally loving it.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:52 AM

18,506 posts, read 9,567,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I was on vacation years ago and overheard a conversation at the next table from some people who were already retired. I clearly heard one of the men tell the other one not to touch his principal. Borrow the money and use the income from your principal to pay off the loan. We accumulate the extra we don't have to use from our income and first borrow as we purchase the vehicle than use extra income to pay that off fast to help our credit score. Last car we bought in October and paid the loan off the following May when we got our income tax return back. We always pay too much income tax reserve. We don't want to have to pay from our principal to the IRS because we owe money at the end of the year. We know the government is using our money but we prefer it that way. No our tax refund didn't fully pay for the car but we had already accumulated enough to add to that.

We have been accumulating money since then to pay for future purchases but I still don't like the idea of writing a check for the full amount until we have checked the car out by driving it a few months before fully paying for it. Don't know why.

That was a marital debate as to whether to lower cash position, take from investment portfolio, or borrow....there are pros and cons of each approach with me being a more conservative investor versus the wife.

We both wanted to go into retirement with paid off new cars and paid off house to take the pressure off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or