U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 07:41 AM

1,745 posts, read 2,137,796 times

Advertisements

If I could go back and do it all over (I'm 36 now) I'd have chosen a STEM degree instead of liberal arts, coupled with a business degree. I would have saved more after paying off my student loan debt. I would have stayed off of Facebook, too much drama. I would have traveled more, perhaps overseas to teach English as a second language. I still might at some point, but it obviously becomes more difficult as you age and take on more responsibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 09:56 AM

6,564 posts, read 12,327,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
You wake up tomorrow and you are 18 again. You have the same memories, knowledge, same universe, same time, only thing that has changed is you are an 18 year old all over again and can't change it. Apart from just having to deal with being a young adult again how would you take it? Would you be depressed? View it as a new lease on life and use it to experience things you didn't before?
Knowing what I know? Begin a guerrilla campaign. Realize that my future has screwed out of existence by my parents' and grandparents' hideous leadership, and that therefore I have nothing to lose, and that I thus can gain only the satisfaction in life of making sure a few other people lose something as well. Bonus: no need to save for retirement.

My generation ought to treat the kids a lot better than it does. It deserves for them to start venting justified rage upon it. If it declines to do that, the least we can do is show them some respect, since we don't plan to give them back any of the legacy we stole from them.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:37 AM

1,815 posts, read 2,247,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The first thing I'll do is put on a helmet figuring pretty soon they'll pass a law that says you have to wear one while driving a car, texting while walking and pushing a grocery cart.

Ha-ha, just kidding about that grocery cart pushing. I'll be living with my parents. Moms will take care of that after she does my laundry. She's great. She'll even call that guy who interviewed me for a job and yell at him because I wasn't hired. I mean, who wants to work for a company that doesn't give you 3 weeks vacation, anyway?

I'll do an Internet search on Safe Spaces to find the nearest one just in case I hear somebody say something mean. Haters! They're all haters! Then, I'll whip out my iPhone to text my BFF and ask, "Hey, what offends us today?" Asher and Kai will make fun of me because I have no idea where North Korea is. How should I know? It's not like I'll ever go there. I'll tell them, "How do you expect me to watch the news when they are always talking about taxes and stuff?" Who pays taxes? It's so boring.

Then, I'll upload selfies to Facebook, of me at the store, me at school, me eating lunch, me getting an abortion and me playing a video game after I write my blog about me and the exhausting day I had.

What do you mean, I'm supposed to keep my old lady brain? I have to fit in.

Loved this! Sorry I couldn't rep you again

Old 09-18-2017, 10:49 AM

26,177 posts, read 28,575,729 times
If I were 18 again:

--I wouldn't drink soda as I got addicted to it.
--I would be really, really careful about who I went to bed with. Condoms are essential but don't protect against a broken heart.
--I'd put more effort into learning about how to find and maintain healthy intimate relationships.
--I'd be more focused and stop acting as if I had all the time in the world to accomplish things. Life is short. Windows for certain opportunities close.
--I'd save and invest money earlier. If I hadn't spent the $3000 I'd saved by age 18 and invested it in an S&P 500 index fund instead, that $3000 would now be worth ~$54,000. (I'm 47 now).
--I would have chosen to major in finance instead of a liberal arts degree. I'd have made a lot more money and would probably be financially independent now.

Something I couldn't do at 18 that today's 18 year olds can:

Read every last word of the Mr. Money Mustache blog and apply it to life:
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/...one-blog-post/

Watch every Jordan Peterson video on YouTube and take them all to heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjpuxiV-_Es

Interestingly, they're both Canadians.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 09-18-2017 at 11:07 AM..

Old 09-18-2017, 12:25 PM

1,524 posts, read 690,603 times
Default smartphones

A weird thing about being young in today's world would be seeing all my peers living on their smartphones.
Any kid without one would be a complete outcast. I wonder what today's schoolteachers do about the pervasive-phone problem? How do they make the kids pay attention to the lesson, instead of reading the latest text?

Old 09-18-2017, 12:43 PM

1,739 posts, read 625,191 times
Cannot imagine being young now (I am 57), the population has doubled since I was 18-ish, the cost of everything and competition for everything has increased proportionally. Glad I have no kids, not sure how they would have managed in the present-day world if I had them. The world's resources will run out in a few generations (while the population growth is faster and faster, mostly among the poor who can contribute little or nothing to human civilization), glad I won't be around to see the horror of it.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:54 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,517,388 times
Automation will signal the death of many who can no longer afford housing, food, or healthcare due to unemployment. It is already happening.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:41 PM

911 posts, read 533,106 times
I am in my 50's and have kids who will be entering the college phase soon. If I could do things over I would have not been so influenced by my family's ideas of what I should do. I would have become a speech pathologist (my first choice but I was talked out of that as it would be "too hard"). But mostly I would have been more purposeful with my time.

I feel very sorry for my kids today. The social media/online world has taken over everything. And I have noticed it with adults too. People don't talk on the phone anymore as everything is texting. While it's convenient, sometimes talking is a much easier way to communicate especially if you have multiple things to discuss. There's also a "personal touch" that is lost when you only text.

I hate how much pressure my kids already feel with their futures. Going to college was not a big deal when I graduated high school. You could get into a state university pretty easily. I look back at how I was accepted into UCLA and I laugh now as there is no way I could do that again with today's competition. And the cost of college now is so staggering that there's this feeling you must know exactly what you want to do the moment you enter school. When I was that age you could switch your major without crippling financial ramifications. Today? Changing your major can set you back big time.

I am glad I am not that age but it's tough when you have kids that are.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:19 PM

4,235 posts, read 7,277,467 times
Going back to 18 would be my idea of Hell, Not that I haven't enjoyed my life but do it all over? No thanks. Going to Heaven sounds better than being 18 again.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:47 PM

343 posts, read 191,847 times
I'm 22 but wish I could go back to 14 to take high school seriously and never start drinking. I guess it was written though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or